cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Race to winterization

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Well waited kind of long then was going to have the dealership do it. And I couldn't get in until October 18th. Looked at the forecast and the mid 20's coming up didn't look good.

So, I bought the Camco hand pump winterization kit and got it done yesterday. It came in yesterday in the mail. Thank you Amazon. There were none to be found locally. But the antifreeze was cheap since it was so late in the season. Close call imho.

We hit 26 the other night and there was a thin skin of ice on the bird feeder. I had already drained the water heater and lines.

Now, I'm like why would I want someone else to do it. It was easy.

The guy at the dealership asked me if my flowers were still alive and they are with just a few burned on the 26 degree night. We usually lose all of our flowers in one night here in Helena Montana. He said, as a rule of thumb, if your flowers are alive your lines are probably OK. But once they go, you lost your chance.

He said, do the prep and hook the "hand" pump up and start pumping it in with all the faucets/toilet shut. If it pressures up and you can't pump the antifreeze in, then there are "probably" OK (small leaks/cracks notwithstanding). If you can continue to pump the stuff even though everything is shut off, you are going to want to look closer.

I thought his advice was pretty good or was hoping it was since we have had three or four 30 to 32 degree nights. He noted that these were just rule of thumb observations. "Rule of thumb" is my term.
10 REPLIES 10

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
rockhillmanor wrote:
X2
Really no need for a pump.

I just put the pink stuff in the fresh water tank and turn the pump on.

That pink stuff gets into EACH and EVERY crook and bend of your water lines. AND it goes thru/protects the water pump too.

Open every faucet until it runs pink and then close them. Then I take a gallon and pour into all p-traps. Takes all of 10 minutes!

And NO it does not leave any taste after you flush it out in spring. That is a mind over matter myth!:C

Only problem is with some water tanks, the pick-up is mounted on the side of the tank taking up to 10 gallons or more of pink stuff to do the job.

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Our pump has a tee on the suction side. One line goes to the FW tank and the other is a clear vinyl hose open at the end. Each has a shut off valve to control which one is being used. Very easy to put antifreeze throughout and in the pump, too.

^^^ Ditto, I have never put any antifreeze in the fresh water tank. I open the drain valve and let it all run out, I have never had a problem doing this. I put the open pump inlet hose directly into the container of antifreeze and let the pump do all the work. I start at the furthest faucet from the pump and work my way to the front. Dont forget the outside shower if you have one! Winner, Winner, chicken dinner.
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Our pump has a tee on the suction side. One line goes to the FW tank and the other is a clear vinyl hose open at the end. Each has a shut off valve to control which one is being used. Very easy to put antifreeze throughout and in the pump, too.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
At the very least the water pump should be run dry for a minute, to clear any water in it, after draining the fresh tank. If you leave water in the pump, you are likely to have an issue come Spring.

Jerry

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
"Using the Camco outside to the water fitting leaves water in the water pump because of the check valve."

This goes right at a question I have. Looking online, the above doesn't seem to be an issue as it is hardly mentioned. You tube examples just do it like I did. So, if the the water pump doesn't have the "stuff" go through it, how big a deal is this?

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Another option is to use compressed air to blow out the lines if you're getting freezing weather. It's quick, cheap and effective.
You still need the pink stuff for the traps, etc..

Living here in North Carolina this is what I do. "Red neck" winterizing

Works for several days of freezing temps.
Drain fresh water tank
Dump grey and black tanks
Drain hot water heater. Make sure electric element is off
Blow out water lines thru city water connection with air compressor set at 45 psi
Open each faucet one at a time and don't forget outside kitchen if u have plus toilet

Low point drains last

Pour pink stuff in grey and black tanks filling p traps and extra to reach gray and black tank valves.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I use to put RV anti-freeze into the fresh water tank. It bends to fit into fresh water inlet and to keep funnel parallel so you can pour anti-freeze in easily.

I also use it to get bleach in tank to disinfect water lines.

Find at walmart and any auto parts store.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
X2
Really no need for a pump.

I just put the pink stuff in the fresh water tank and turn the pump on.

That pink stuff gets into EACH and EVERY crook and bend of your water lines. AND it goes thru/protects the water pump too.

Open every faucet until it runs pink and then close them. Then I take a gallon and pour into all p-traps. Takes all of 10 minutes!

And NO it does not leave any taste after you flush it out in spring. That is a mind over matter myth!:C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Why didn't you just use your water pump to push antifreeze through the system, even easier. Drain and bypass your hot water tank, disconnect the suction to the pump, screw on a plastic fitting and hose, put the end in the water line antifreeze, turn on the pump and open ever faucet one at a time until you get pink stuff coming out. Don't forget the toilet and outside faucets. Drain the black and grey tanks for the water you pushed out the faucets. Make sure you put some antifreeze in the p traps/drains.

Using the Camco outside to the water fitting leaves water in the water pump because of the check valve.

I use to use air until one year the kitchen faucet and toilet valve froze and broke. When your done leave the faucets open to give room for expansion.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is to use compressed air to blow out the lines if you're getting freezing weather. It's quick, cheap and effective.
You still need the pink stuff for the traps, etc..