cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM 3500 DRW W/6.4 Hemi

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
I just found a 2016 RAM 3500 DRW w/ 6.4 HEMI gas engine 3:73 gears with 10K miles and 4wd locally by private owner for a smokin' price. I may want to put a AF 992 on it and tow my enclosed 7x14' trailer with quad. This truck is one year old and has never been in salt. Opinions?

Please confine your comments to this combo and NOT turn this into a AF vs. Lance or Ford/RAM vs. GM or gas vs. diesel contest. These threads can get out of hand in very short order. I also plan on carrying my short box AF 811 temporarily for the remainder of this year, until finances allow a 992 or equivalent, I already realize the pitfalls/shortcomings of doing this but it would be temporary.

I hope Bedlam chimes in on this as I value his thoughts as well as what others have to contribute.
Thanks,
TG

RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW

Cummins HO, Aisin trans and 4:10 gears, 14,000 lb GVWR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Truck Camper &

Honda EU2000

55 REPLIES 55

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I love 'Buzzwords'...lol

Multi-displacement system. IOw GM had that in Caddy's a decade ago (and I think it's still available. the old 4-6-8 cylinder cut off. Displacement stays the same, cylinder don't fire. Nothing new technology there, just new buzzwords.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

IT_Burnout
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering a new 3500 rig, and looking at all options. I have been just lurking around for a while. TFL truck did a couple test runs with that engine. It’s under extreme conditions but none the less it just left me wondering if I would be happy with that option long term.

I plan a trip to AK and spending some time in the western states now that I am retied. The Cummins I have now does a great job, absolutely no issue with it. But I really should be in a 3500 truck.

I know your normal condition are different then this test conditions but it might provide you some insight.

TFL Test1 & TFL Test2
2017 Chevy Duramax LTZ with Z71
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2 Hathaway Edition

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Troutguy wrote:

Thanks Towpro....the GVW on this truck is 13,300 lbs. and I believe the payload is around 5,970 lbs. because it's a crew cab.
I guess that I'm mostly concerned with having enough power, I live in MI but will be traveling out West occasionally and planning a 6 week tour of AK next year w/o towing anything.

I just looked in Ram bodybuiders website. in Camper information
your "remaining cargo" weight is 4785 lbs for bench seat and 4632 for bucket seats.
this is a 5,970 total payload.

I think it will have enough power with 410 horsepower, 429 lb-ft of torque.
I have heard some say that the 4:10 allows the engine to run fast enough that the Multi-Displacement System saves fuel, where the some ratios it keep switching on and off, but i don't know for sure.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think that's probably 8 territory not 7. In any case, as long as you don't mind going slow up mountains, and you like RAMs, go for it!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkasner wrote:
I had the Hemi 6.4L 3500 in a SRW and with the camper only (no towing) the best we ever saw was 7mpg hauling the camper around. Never again. I don't think I would want to tow anything along with hauling a camper on that whole package. We had the 3.73 rear end as well and you would definitely want the 4:10s

7 mpg sucks big time. I knew the big block FCA motors were guzzlers but 7, wow.

It 'appears' doable with gas prices where they are presently, but keep in mind that gas prices fluctuate and usually go up, not down

If gas got back to 4 bucks a gallon (and it very well may, 7 mpg equates to a well used credit card and a whopper of a bill at the end of the month.

I can see why it's for sale. If the previous owner did any miles with it, he's financing big oil.....:p
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Troutguy wrote:
towpro wrote:
you will have one of the highest payload 3500's ram sells. it weighs less than the cummins. I have not heard anything bad about that motor. But motors that big can eat fuel.

the maintenance will also be cheaper.

Thanks Towpro....the GVW on this truck is 13,300 lbs. and I believe the payload is around 5,970 lbs. because it's a crew cab.
I guess that I'm mostly concerned with having enough power, I live in MI but will be traveling out West occasionally and planning a 6 week tour of AK next year w/o towing anything.

I live in Michigan as well...

Expect the engine to be a gas guzzler and there have been some issues with that engine eating internal parts. Does it have an extended transferrable powertrain warranty?
2015 Backpack SS1500

mkasner
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Hemi 6.4L 3500 in a SRW and with the camper only (no towing) the best we ever saw was 7mpg hauling the camper around. Never again. I don't think I would want to tow anything along with hauling a camper on that whole package. We had the 3.73 rear end as well and you would definitely want the 4:10s

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
you will have one of the highest payload 3500's ram sells. it weighs less than the cummins. I have not heard anything bad about that motor. But motors that big can eat fuel.

Honda EU2000

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I sit in the WALMART parking lots alot here recently driving MS DAISY around doing her grocery shopping.

Get to see the RV rigs coming and going and I see most of the DUAL Rear Wheels trucks are DODGE's...

Then I hear a diesel truck coming in and and look up and it most often the DODGE truck as well. They are always louder than the other brand diesel trucks...

None of these were Truck Campers however... Just trucks pulling big trailers...

Roy Ken

The truck I'm looking at is NOT A DIESEL.....:h

Honda EU2000

towpro
Explorer
Explorer

2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sit in the WALMART parking lots alot here recently driving MS DAISY around doing her grocery shopping.

Get to see the RV rigs coming and going and I see most of the DUAL Rear Wheels trucks are DODGE's...

Then I hear a diesel truck coming in and and look up and it most often the DODGE truck as well. They are always louder than the other brand diesel trucks...

None of these were Truck Campers however... Just trucks pulling big trailers...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS