cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real towing advise please

Scubydg
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short, I had a 2017 Tacoma, bought an RV (Travel trailer), "they" said oh yeah, it will pull it, just don't go over 80% of towing weight. Done, but we were kinda close to the 80% weight. LOADS of sway and scarey moments...Bought a 2018 Tundra (SR5 w/ Tow weight of 10K). No more sway and everything is fine. Now I want to upgrade RV. 80% of tow weight is 7900lbs, RV is 7200lbs (by my calculations).. I feel I will be back at the SWAY and SCAREY area again...Thoughts?
20 REPLIES 20

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Payload is more important than tow weight.
Tongue weight+WD+stuff in bed+passengers+stuff in cab=?
Subtract that from payload sticker on your truck to see where you are at.
If you don’t know the actual, real world tongue weight, then take 13-15% of the trailer’s gross as the tongue weight.
A properly set up rig shouldn’t have any sway issues and certainly should not be scary.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Scubydg
Explorer
Explorer
So we had the trailer loaded the same way for both the tacoma and the tundra. And there was considerable difference in sway..Could I have too much weight loaded forward and that cause sway?

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Sway is a function of not having your trailer loaded correctly. While a tow vehicle with a longer wheelbase, stiffer suspension, and stiffer tires does make a difference, a trailer that is loaded correctly will not sway.

Now if you have a tow vehicle that lacks the payload to properly load the trailer, then you're going to be on the edge of stability the whole time. That's why those of us who have been doing this a while insist on a heavy duty pickup and a lot of tongue weight (plus excess for your extra gear and so that if you have any extra weight, you can focus it on the tongue).

While in theory, a good 1/2 ton truck will probably pull 8k pounds okay on an occasional basis, if I knew I was going to buy a travel trailer that heavy, I would buy a 3/4 ton truck. And while the manufacturer of the Tundra might tell you it can pull 10,000 pounds, I think that would be cheating death the whole time, especially because with the limited payload, you're going to have to keep the tongue lighter than you otherwise would.

Weight distribution has nothing to do with sway. Sway control is a band-aid for a trailer that is on the edge of stability. With the right tow vehicle, you will be able to load your tongue heavy and your trailer will never misbehave again.

Or you can go to the ultimate tongue weight increaser.....the 5th wheel.

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah as wanderingaimlessly stated tongue weight must be between 10 and 15% the closer to 15 the better. A good weight distribution hitch will work BUT it must also be dialed in correctly or towing will be a disaster. The longer the trailer is the more you will feel sway also. Alot of times people think the trailer is swaying but really all it is doing is being pushed by winds and technically not swaying.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

Scubydg
Explorer
Explorer
tongue weight is fine and yes I do have sway control from previous camper. Actually I see us jumping up in weight by aobut 1200lbs. also, the newer camper will be 1ft taller...

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Three main questions
What if any sway control WDH are you/will you be using?
Have you verified that you have tongue weight at 12% to 15%?
How much more trailer are you expecting by only increasing about 700 lbs?