cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real Weights

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
When guys and gals are looking at purchasing a TT,they look at the brochure . But to get an idea of reality, our brochure weight dry was 4100#, the factory out the door sticker was 4600# dry ,when I ran it over the scale,fully loaded for an across Canada trip,the two axles were 2830 kg.(2.2lb=1kg).

This is all a so what to me, I switched out the axles to 5200# and the tires to either 2700# or 2900# truck, 16" 10plys .And I pull with a diesel 1ton. But someone with a 1/2 ton, might not have a so what attitude driving down the road.
Adventure before dementia
30 REPLIES 30

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that trailer weights both unhitch and WD hitched weights are interesting, they are mostly academic.

I just weigh the TV alone, connect the TT and adjust the WD hitch to level the load per the manufacturer's instructions. Then I weight the combo's axels. (we get two weighs in 24 hrs. for $12.00.)

* If the TV and TT axel weights are within specs. Good to go.
* If the "cargo" i.e. people, dog, camping stuff and tongue weight are within spec. Good to go.
* if the combined TT and TV weight is within spec. Good to go.

I ready does not matter what everything weights until it is hook up and ready for the road. There is just too much stuff added at the last minute.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
We travel with a lot of fresh water in our tanks. Why should we be forced to used public facilities when traveling, and not be able to use the bathroom in our trailer? And if you are traveling long distances, why would you have to be forced to stay in a camp ground every night?

I always have water in my tanks. I'll probably only carry 1/2 a load of water going forward though, since the tanks in our new Jayco hold a total of 84 gallons plus 6 more in the hot water heater.

stevemorris wrote:
who travels with gallons and gallons or is that liters(or litres) in the tanks?

there's a couple of hundred pounds. we travel long distances with all tanks bone dry, even the water heater
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Downwindtracker2 wrote:
Hey, we got WiFi,again. The Cabot trail tomorrow. When ORV built our TT,they built it light like a Sherman tank is built light.It's got a double frame, so no problems there. Newer years of the model are lighter.

My buddy John said " Before I met Jennifer, the fridge had room for both beer and food, now I use a cooler for the beer." I find it's a bother always buying ice,chuckle.

My guess is most wives are not minimalists, so that fully loaded weight is not too far off average.

I'd say that I would be not far behind you in added weight.

Oh and take time to see the Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck. If you are interested in telephones, aircraft flight or any of his historic inventions, you shouldn't miss this.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot I had this pic from our last trip.

Nuf said.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
And since most NEVER scale their TTs, they really have non idea how much weight they have actually added.

Yeah ....the only way to know how much weight your adding is weigh the rig before loading and then again after loading.
I keep scale tickets in the glove box in the car and both trucks along with all my trailers unladin axle weights.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I am with the group that carries water. The fresh tank is typically filled to 2/3rds or more, the black and gray have about 5 gallons to keep them from drying out. Twice I have hooked up to really foul tasting CG water.

When I crossed that Cat scales loaded heavy for the road with the TT weighting 6400 lbs; of which 700 lbs was tongue weight, leaving 5700 lbs. on the 7000 lbs rated axles, I realized I would run out of TV cargo capacity long before I overloaded the TT.

Those with bigger TV's might not have such problems but my max cargo is 1411 lbs. half of which is tongue weight.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, we got WiFi,again. The Cabot trail tomorrow. When ORV built our TT,they built it light like a Sherman tank is built light.It's got a double frame, so no problems there. Newer years of the model are lighter.

My buddy John said " Before I met Jennifer, the fridge had room for both beer and food, now I use a cooler for the beer." I find it's a bother always buying ice,chuckle.

My guess is most wives are not minimalists, so that fully loaded weight is not too far off average.
Adventure before dementia

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Downwindtracker2 wrote:
Canadians use both , and can convert.

Not me, I never refer to anything in kg, nor would I ever refer to fuel mileage rated in Imperial gallons or even litres per 100 km, the stupidest form of metric measure. rv.net is a US based forum with the vast majority of members being Americans, it only makes sense to use US measure, whether volume, weight, whatever. :R

That said, what's the point of your original post? - I've yet to see any trailer where it's actual stickered dry weight won't be noticeably higher than it's listed brochure weight - big surprise. What is surprising is how just 2 adults could find it necessary to load so much additional weight into the trailer, making the end result far heavier than it really needs to be. :E
Different people have different needs.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
Downwindtracker2 wrote:
When guys and gals are looking at purchasing a TT,they look at the brochure . But to get an idea of reality, our brochure weight dry was 4100#, the factory out the door sticker was 4600# dry ,when I ran it over the scale,fully loaded for an across Canada trip,the two axles were 2830 kg.(2.2lb=1kg).

This is all a so what to me, I switched out the axles to 5200# and the tires to either 2700# or 2900# truck, 16" 10plys .And I pull with a diesel 1ton. But someone with a 1/2 ton, might not have a so what attitude driving down the road.

This is 6226 lb loaded. Which means you are carrying a LOT of stuff---1626 lb. Unless that is batteries and water... I can't imagine where in a TT you would put that much weight.

I can probably double that easy.

And since most NEVER scale their TTs, they really have non idea how much weight they have actually added.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
moresmoke wrote:
stevemorris wrote:

there's a couple of hundred pounds. we travel long distances with all tanks bone dry, even the water heater

Try camping somewhere you can't drink the water. We always leave home with the fresh tank full.

Me Too ! Full tank at all times
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:

Try camping somewhere you can't drink the water. We always leave home with the fresh tank full.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer

2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9mMh9Wn-mM

Sorry I forgot how to make a link.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
I didn't realize how much stuff we carried until we unloaded our previous 5th wheel onto the carport so we could deliver it to the dealership to trade for our current TT. Easily several hundred pounds.
Our currency here in the US is metric. I don't know why we still use thumbs and feet for everything else.

Sorry but NO........
Since 1786 US Currency uses decimal monetary systems (1 dollar =100 cents)
Most ALL nations use it NOW

British System of pounds, shillings, and pence is not used by many any more....

10mm = 1cm
100cm = 1m
1000m = 1km

100 cents = 1 dollar.
Cent = 100...
Centi = 100th

Decimus is Latin for tenth, and the decimal system is based on the number ten. The Metric System. Metric is a French word related to the French word for measure. The metric system is a decimal measuring system.
Sorry but yes.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'