cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really happy with my Suitcase solar!!

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have the camper loaded yet. Soon, can't stand it anymore. Been so busy repairing 2 bathrooms in the stick house from a leak while out camping over the 4th. Anyway, with 100 watts permanently mounted to the TC roof wasn't enough to run the compressor fridge (got a bad fridge). It is a bright sunny day today. Turned on the fridge and the volts started out at 12.58, and dropping slowly. Laid out the suitcase flat on the roof (100 watts) and hooked it up. About a half hour later the fridge has cooled from 80 to 55 and the volts are reading 13,83!! The suitcase controller was reading 3.5 amps. The fridge takes 4-4.5 but never shuts off due to a warped door.

My suitcase is a Renogy from Amazon. Wish I had done this sooner!!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
19 REPLIES 19

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
whazoo wrote:
Yeah DJ, what Steve said. And when can I borrow it?!

Isn't it about time to change your profile, Dave, to show Idaho instead of Arizona? Or are you moving back to Paradise - , I mean Phoenix?
Cal

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, have one myself to supplement what's on our TT roof as well. Since it is easily movable in direction and tilt I can maximize output throughout the day. By comparison our roof-mounted panels provide max output at best a few hours daily. It has been through all kinds of weather without issue although controller isn't water-proof. I'm impressed with Renogy quality thus far.

One example of it's durability is we had this portable solar suitcase sitting on top of our truck bed's metal tonneau cover and went for a hike. Apparently when we were gone a gust of wind tossed panel about a dozen feet landing face down. From a far I thought it was toast, thankfully no harm done and after cleaning panel faces it was delivering rated amperage to our battery bank.

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah DJ, what Steve said. And when can I borrow it?!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get more!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Hi DJ - nice fix. How much was the suitcase solar?

It has its own controller built in?

And how does it connect to your electrics - crocodile clips?

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2