cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Braking with 2006 F-250

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I have made 3 trips with my new to me 2006 F-250 towing a 27 ft TT. The brake control is a Ford factory installed unit whereas on my older F-250 I had an aftermarket Brake controller. On the previous 3 trips with the newer F-250, I set the Ford brake controller to 6 and I could feel the trailer braking behind me as it should. This latest trip, I could feel almost nothing in the way of trailer braking UNTIL I really pushed on the brake pedal or manually squeezed the buttons on the controller and then the trailer brakes would lock up. All indications on the controller were normal and the same as in the past. Those of you with this Ford system, is 6 what you are setting the controller at or is yours set higher? If at 6, what else could be causing this problem this time.. Do I need to readjust the brakes again? I am 99% positive that the brake shoes are in good shape (only 4500 miles on trailer) and that there is no grease on the shoes as the wheels were repacked (new seals) and inspected within the last 9 months. Appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
5 REPLIES 5

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:
While at campsite, I sprayed WD40 into both the trailer plug and truck outlet and everything worked just fine on the trip home.????

Good deal, I usually keep a coat of dielectric grease on mine. I also keep the plug stuck into a dummy hollow receptacle when unhooked. Can't remember where I bought the plug holder but I think it I the cat's meow.

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
While at campsite, I sprayed WD40 into both the trailer plug and truck outlet and everything worked just fine on the trip home.????

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Increase your number until it reacts the way you want. On my previous 2007 F350 I ran mine at 8 to 8.5 most of the time.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The setting number is adjusted to your particular trailer. It doesn't matter what someone else uses.
Adjusting trailer brakes is a quick and simple job, if in doubt, adjust.
If you use a grease gun on the spindles, the brakes can be messed up quickly.
Check that all brakes are working by jacking the wheel and pulling the breakaway switch. That could be part of your adjusting procedure.
If you continue to have problems, start pulling drums to inspect.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have an '06 F350 and have the Ford controller set at 6 as yours and it works well with a larger trailer. I suggest that you adjust the brakes again and see what you gain.