cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really happy with my Suitcase solar!!

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have the camper loaded yet. Soon, can't stand it anymore. Been so busy repairing 2 bathrooms in the stick house from a leak while out camping over the 4th. Anyway, with 100 watts permanently mounted to the TC roof wasn't enough to run the compressor fridge (got a bad fridge). It is a bright sunny day today. Turned on the fridge and the volts started out at 12.58, and dropping slowly. Laid out the suitcase flat on the roof (100 watts) and hooked it up. About a half hour later the fridge has cooled from 80 to 55 and the volts are reading 13,83!! The suitcase controller was reading 3.5 amps. The fridge takes 4-4.5 but never shuts off due to a warped door.

My suitcase is a Renogy from Amazon. Wish I had done this sooner!!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
19 REPLIES 19

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
~DJ~ wrote:
My suitcase is a Renogy from Amazon. Wish I had done this sooner!!!

I need to look at the Renogy for my yet to be purchased small TT.

I've priced out the Z-amp suitcase solar, and even at dealer cost, the prices are really high.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the same Renogy suitcase now for three years and am very happy with it. I have dual batteries and the main power drain is a 2 way 110L frig. As long as it is sunny and I keep it somewhat "aimed" it supplies all my power needs. If cloudy/snow/rain I just start the truck as needed. As far as theft I am usually off the beaten path but I do carry a bike cable and lock but have yet to use it.

2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide

tmartin000
Explorer
Explorer
I love this idea of a suitcase. I have almost a 100W on the roof now, but at times, its just not enough due to positioning. But I have a BIG concern.

What do you do about theft!!!
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my setup. Works very well. I have two FullRiver 105AH AGM batteries and a Morningstar MPPT solar controller in the TC. Both the rooftop and portable solar panels are connected in parallel at the solar controller. I have a Tundra TJ42AC refrigerator and this solar setup keeps it running 24/7 plus all the LED lights, water pump, Fantastic fan, etc.

Components:

Renogy 100W solar panel
WindyNation adjustable solar panel mount
Anderson Power SB50 connectors and boots
Renogy 30' 10ga cables
Bitter Root Brewery Huckleberry Honey Ale
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobbolotune wrote:
I have never heard of Suitcase solar before.

Looking at the link to Amazon in one of the above posts it seems that you place the panels outside the camper and point them to the sun. With a truck camper the batteries are inside the truck camper. So how do you string the wires from the panels into the truck camper?

My battery is also on the inside. I got an external battery terminal from Summit Racing and mounted under the camper wing with cables running into the internal battery compartment. I did this to run a stand alone battery charger vs the house charger to create less jenny time. Then I added a 2nd battery in the truck box ahead of the wheel well and ran the cables lip to the back side of the terminal. Now it also makes a great place to attach the portable solar. Hope this helps.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:
12.5 is still a good charge when under some load. That will not make the night?
May need more battery.

I usually have 2 12 volts but off the truck only 1. So I need to try it with both batteries once loaded on the truck.

bobbolotune
Explorer
Explorer
I have never heard of Suitcase solar before.

Looking at the link to Amazon in one of the above posts it seems that you place the panels outside the camper and point them to the sun. With a truck camper the batteries are inside the truck camper. So how do you string the wires from the panels into the truck camper?
Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Aw DJ, my wonderful friend, I was joking and I'll hope you know that. I wouldn't ever borrow a friends new toy! My compressor fridge runs a lot also but my 200 solar watts keeps up most of the time. In shade or cloudy days I still top off with the genny. I forget if you have one or two batts, I have two 6 volts. Another 100 watts would be about perfect so I'll be looking into your new set-up. Thanks DJ!!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
12.5 is still a good charge when under some load. That will not make the night?
May need more battery.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Does the permanently installed controller for the roof top panels have adjustable voltage set points? If so, does it have enough "head room" to handle the suitcase panels too?

If it does--bump up the voltages to 14.8. That may make some difference.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I spoke too soon!! Just checked it as the sun is going down. No solar and battery is back down to 12.50. Never make it thru the night so I'll still have to turn the fridge off at night. At least it will keep it running when the sun shines without running the jenny as I usually do. I hate that fridge!!!

Steve ~ got it at Amazon for $280, has it's own controller and alligator clips.

Dave ~ of course you can borrow it anytime you want unless it's out in the boontoolies somewhere. Let me know!!!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really like my Renolgy Suitcase
Solar charger too,It fills my needs to top off the batteries when dry camping and being portable I can move it where I need it when camping under trees or at the beach.

I modified mine and took off the alligator clips and hard wired it with a 20 Ft extension that has MC4 connectors for ease of use and placement.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a 2x50w suitcase, even though we have 300w on the roof. Sometimes it really comes in handy.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.