cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear Camera Ques. F- 350

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Just got our new F-350,after a L O N G 16 wk. wait. Has anyone spliced their rear camera lead wire in order to remove the rear tailgate? I would like to know what male/female connectors (plugs) to use and where I might purchase them.
6 REPLIES 6

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
K Mac wrote:
Found it today, thanks for the prompt responses. See what you meanabout,with a helper.NRALIFR how long is the harness dealer sold you,I'm assuming you meant Ford. Do they offer different lengths. Thanks Again.

The harness I bought from the Ford dealer is only about 3 ft. long at the most. It's what's mostly inside your tailgate if you have the back-up camera in the handle.

Rather than hack up a brand new harness, I pulled the old one out of the tailgate and cut the plug off the camera end of the harness. The camera I bought off ebay came with about 50 ft. of wires which was plenty long enough to reach the bottom of the camper. I spliced the camera wires to the tailgate camera harness, and now my new camera plugs into the truck's tailgate camera plug behind the rear bumper.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Found it today, thanks for the prompt responses. See what you meanabout,with a helper.NRALIFR how long is the harness dealer sold you,I'm assuming you meant Ford. Do they offer different lengths. Thanks Again.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
See my posts in this topic.

I've got a rear-view camera on my camper that I can connect to the OEM tailgate camera connector and see the image on the dash video screen.

I bought the camera from an ebay seller, and a new tailgate camera cable harness from the dealer.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
The tailgate comes off way too easily! Someone stole the tailgate off my brother's truck sitting in his driveway a month ago. The insurance claim was just over $4,000 all said and done with the camera and step. I highly recommend a McGuard tailgate lock and keep your tailgate locked as much as possible!

As for the camera wiring, no need for splicing as others have said, there is a connector on the wire already.
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

MKish
Explorer II
Explorer II
It comes off nicely enough (if you have a helper). Users here have gotten extra cameras and wiring from the dealer to stick to the back of the camper for an OEM feel. I need to do that....

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
To remove the tailgate, just unplug the connector, there is a cap to put on the connector to protect it from the elements.Takes about a minute to unplug and remove the tailgate.
When you remove the tailgate, take note of the plastic piece on the right side hinge, you should remove it and put it somewhere in the truck so you won't lose it.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7