cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations on truck camping areas in No./Cent. Sierras

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
Although I lived in southern Cal for most of my life, I was almost always going up on the East side (Lone Pine, Bishop, Lee Vining, etc.) because the drive times to get to trailheads and campgrounds is so much less.

This summer I want to visit some of the routes that I have only briefly been on. Specifically, I am interested in any forest service campgrounds/dispersed camping/BLM areas adjacent to the following routes:

-SH 96 through Klamath NF (actually the Coast Range, I believe)
-SH 70 through Plumas NF
-SH 88 through El Dorado NF
-SH 4 through Stanislaus NF
-SH 108 through " " (especially the area where the Middle Fork of the Stanislaus River turns so. of 108, below the pass)
-NF areas around Kings Cyn/Sequoia NP

It appears that I will be traveling this area in the month of October, from north to south.

Our preferred activities are Light-moderate day hiking, fishing (especially in streams/rivers) and boating on lakes than ban large gasoline engines (for the solitude).

We do love to dry camp/boondock more than anything but the convenience of campgrounds is nice every week or so. We're not big on camping in National Parks because of their restrictions on dogs on the trails (not allowed).

Can you guys and gals help me out with any suggested areas?

F350 diesel, 4x4, w/Lance 1030.
9 REPLIES 9

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a well-known boondocking zone (not a secret!) in Big Meadows between Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. There was a big fire in the area last year -- I am not sure if all of the forest roads have reopened.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hope Valley off 88 on Blue lakes road. Dispersed camping along the West Fork of the Carson River, No power boat on Blue lakes or Red lake

some nice late season Fly fishing

https://youtu.be/zCye2cgsIaA
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
I really enjoy two areas in the western Sierras.

Shaver Lake area... lots of hiking trails as well as a few 4X4 trails. It will be cold and possible snow in October or it could be perfect weather in the day time.

Sequoia area... We usually stay at Sequoia RV Ranch in Kaweah (Three Rivers) but have stayed in the natl park and in Kings Canyon park. Lot's of hiking and fishing.

I once hiked with a group from Red's Meadow (east Sierras) into Yosemite Valley. That was a great 10 day hike.

Thanks for the tips.

I did a similar hike where we started in Tuolumne Meadows and hiked to Red's Meadow. Amazing scenery, topped only by hiking up Whitney from the back side (Cottonwood Pass, Rock Creek Drainage, Crabtree Meadow/Lakes, Whitney Portal).

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, unfortunately I missed them, before they were removed.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Well now (or then) you've done it, Jefe - given away all those great locations.
(but I won't tell anyone else)
Cal

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I'll send u a pm ๐Ÿ™‚
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Pez,
I've trod many routes in the Central and Northern Sierra with a truck camper. Go to my Trip report page above for details. Also here are some links to SerNev trips that don't appear on my trip report page. http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/21972932.cfm
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Most all the FS campgrounds within Plumas NF are fine. October can get abit cool. I will use the National Forest websites to locate and describe the CG's, and then zoom in on Google Earth to see how it actually looks.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I really enjoy two areas in the western Sierras.

Shaver Lake area... lots of hiking trails as well as a few 4X4 trails. It will be cold and possible snow in October or it could be perfect weather in the day time.

Sequoia area... We usually stay at Sequoia RV Ranch in Kaweah (Three Rivers) but have stayed in the natl park and in Kings Canyon park. Lot's of hiking and fishing.

I once hiked with a group from Red's Meadow (east Sierras) into Yosemite Valley. That was a great 10 day hike.