cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reefer Won't Run on LP_

DoneItAll
Explorer
Explorer
Just refilled both tanks. I'm suspecting air in the line but how water heater, furnace and cook top all are receiving gas. Starting on LP to bleed the line but continues to switch over to dc (not presently hooked up to 110 V). Is there a way to safely bleed the line at the fridge itself or should I keep trying to start on LP to bleed it or is there a third option?

Thanks.

John
John & Harriet on the beautiful Eastern Shore of Maryland
2008 F450 4X4 Crew Cab
2017 Lance 2375 Travel Trailer
11 REPLIES 11

Tamnative
Explorer
Explorer
DoneItAll wrote:
All's good. Either the thorough cleaning or trying that one more time did the trick! Now to file this into the"I did this once before" file. Thanks to all who replied.

John

Been there,it was the cleaning that most likely did it. You need to know as it will happen again,don't ask how I know:)
2005 Ford F-350 ex-cab Lariat 4x4 srw 6.0 Powerstroke
2008 Bigfoot 10.4

DoneItAll
Explorer
Explorer
All's good. Either the thorough cleaning or trying that one more time did the trick! Now to file this into the"I did this once before" file. Thanks to all who replied.

John
2008 F450 4X4 Crew Cab

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Check to make sure no rust particles have fallen down onto the burner. Its very common for rust to line the walls of the vent and will fall down clogging up the burner holes.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
x2 Mine takes like 10 tries before it will light if it has sat for any length of time.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Ditto: and ours is mid stream to the Generator which will start..our refer just takes for ever if gas has been off-hopefully that simple but Id try every few minuets.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
When my camper has set for any length of time, it can take a 1/2 dozen light attempts to get it to finally fire.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

DoneItAll
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Norcold. I should have mentioned this earlier. Wouldn't I get just a slight whiff of LP odor?

John
2008 F450 4X4 Crew Cab

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
If it is an igniter you won't smell any gas as the gas lights but goes off because the solenoid propane valve has been closed. By the way I am assuming that your frig is made by Norcold.
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

DoneItAll
Explorer
Explorer
And that type of device simply will go bad, not degrade over time. As soon as my better half comes home from work, we'll work together to see what's happening. BTW, I'm not smelling any LP when I start it and then check what's happening. I do hear a single ignition attempt but my hearing aids aren't picking up anything else.

Thanks,

John
2008 F450 4X4 Crew Cab

Road_Runners
Explorer
Explorer
If you are getting propane to appliances that are downstream to refrigerator I would suspect that it is not air in the lines. When you start on propane go out and see what is happening. I would suspect that you will hear the igniter firing and you will hear the flame start and burn. But, as soon as the igniter stops firing the flame goes out.

If this is the case you might have a faulty igniter/flame sensor. The igniter serves two purposes. It sparks to light the flame and it senses heat. When the igniter finishes it's sparking if it does not send a heat signal to the computer the computer shuts off the propane valve.

These are easy to take out and install. You can buy an ignitor here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norcold-616922-Refrigerator-Igniter-Electrode-61692222-/231164095230
'05' F-250 Power Stroke
'00' 30' Cameo Fifth Wheel

stevesdmax
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a newbie, but one thing I noticed quickly when my reefer wouldn't run on LP was that the camper must be pretty close to level. Good luck!