cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

renting travel trailer for a week......things i should know

moloss
Explorer
Explorer
this summer I have reserved a 23 foot mini lite travel trailer for a week.....I have never taken the family camping in a travel trailer or even to a RV park or national or state park camping.....we are total new to using a trailer..... what are some of the things I need to do to ensure the family has a great time? I want this to be something they never forget but for good reasons not bad and hopefully this will convince my wife that maybe we need one for ourselves .....anyhow I have plenty of experience towing much larger trailers (we have a farm) and I own a small generator.....we are thinking of going to the smoky mountains in late June if y'all have any suggestions....thank you Chris.
1986 CJ 7 "locked and ready"
2004 GMC 3500 srw 8.1/Allsion 4x4 crew cab long bed
2007 yamaha grizzly 700
2006 kawasaki 50
20 REPLIES 20

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
The black tank fills up fast with the whole family. Use the campground bathrooms as much as you can during the day and keep the trailer toilet for night time.
E.Lee Galik

moloss
Explorer
Explorer
good point on the hoses....didn't event think of that
1986 CJ 7 "locked and ready"
2004 GMC 3500 srw 8.1/Allsion 4x4 crew cab long bed
2007 yamaha grizzly 700
2006 kawasaki 50

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
Water conservation..... if you are not at a full hook up you will fill your grey tank very quickly. Take showers at the bath house to save on water and use paper plates to decrease on dishes. If she insists on using the tt shower then take navy showers (get wet, turn water off, soap up and put shampoo in hair, turn water on quick rinse off then get out). If at full hook up, you will just have to open the grey tank periodically. Never leave the black tank open all the time (you should always keep a couple of gallons of water in black tank. Make sure the pull handles are closed before removing the sewer cap.

Use septic safe toilet paper (ie angel soft) and add extra water to the toilet bowl when having a BM. Make sure the rental company gives you the hoses and connectors you need.

Sewer hose kit
White fresh water hose

Make them show you how to use everything. Set the awning to have one side a little lower than the other for water run off during rain. If windy put the awning away or it could blow up over the rv and break. Have fun!
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you have all the hoses required. We rented one when our trailer was in the shop (We live full time in it), and the rental unit came without hoses to dump!

It was lucky we knew we needed them, and used ours.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Before you go...rent this movie and watch it with the family.
Have a great adventure.

Hahahah ... only if your wife has a good sense of humour and has an open mind, or else it will backfire on your plans to convince her. ๐Ÿ™‚
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Before you go...rent this movie and watch it with the family.
Have a great adventure.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro