cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Repair stripped screw holes in fiberglass

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of the mounting screws for the ingress handle on my NL are stripped. If this were wood, I'd glue a toothpick in there and move on. What is the best approach for stripped fiberglass?
18 REPLIES 18

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I was pretty sure there was only plywood in the basement area of NL TC's. The outer fiberglass may be thin, but what's behind it? I thought it was a rigid foam of some kind. I missed talking to the dealer this evening but if they confirm wood backing, I'll just glue wood in there. If it's fiberglass, I guess the marine store is a good choice. Heck, I've talked to the NL tech guy a few times, so he's another option (next week).

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
As mentioned the fiberglass is really thin and has no strength in itself. You want to get to the wood behind it and secure to that.

Filling the hole as mentioned above with the wood and glue, put he screw in and you are done. No need to fill the fiberglass hole unless you have a crack that is running as all you are going to do is put another hole in it.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
I'd wax the area around the hole to prevent epoxy outside the hole from bonding and make it easier to remove. Then fill the hole with chopped strand reinforced, epoxy based paste / putty. Cover the hole with blue masking tape to keep it in place. After it sets, remove the tape, wet sand the area to remove unwanted material outside the repaired hole. Drill a hole for the screw, tap it and then reinstall the screw.

Easiest way to get what you need is to go to your local marine store:

Fisheries Supply
1900 N Northlake Way
Seattle, WA 98103

and talk to someone in the resin / fillers / fiberglass section. Explain what you are trying to do and they will point you in the right direction and explain how to do it.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
A golf tee is better, with wood glue. Fiberglas is only a super thin layer and is bonded to plywood anyway. Fill hole with glue, Insert the golf tee, cut it off with hacksaw or multi tool flush with the outside.