cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Awning Fabric

Catfishman
Explorer
Explorer
My current awning fabric is shot! How hard is it to replace? I have seen fabric sold online for about $150 (15 feet) and wondered if this is a DIY project. Also, if you have experience, is this a two-man job? Thanks
2003 GMC Sierra 1500
5.3L - 3.73 Ratio
2002 Coachmen 249QB

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!
18 REPLIES 18

copsey
Explorer
Explorer
oakbowery wrote:
I just replaced the fabric on both my father's and my campers. We thought it was relatively easy. Definitely watch you tube videos prior to doing it. We bought our fabric at http://www.rvawningsmart.com/ and I am pleased with them. Mine was 21' and my father's was 16'. Took about 2 hours per awning for us. I priced the dealer doing it and the labor alone was $450 for just my awning. We bought the awning fabrics and all the necessary stuff for BOTH awnings for around $350.

Bought my replacement from the same company and I am very pleased with the quality. I had my brother and dad helping and we changed my 18' awning fabric in just over a half hour.
2004 Gulfstream Innsbruck 26RLS
2003 Ford Excursion PSD

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
A definate DIY project. Watch the you boob videos, take your time and do it before happy hour.

oakbowery
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced the fabric on both my father's and my campers. We thought it was relatively easy. Definitely watch you tube videos prior to doing it. We bought our fabric at http://www.rvawningsmart.com/ and I am pleased with them. Mine was 21' and my father's was 16'. Took about 2 hours per awning for us. I priced the dealer doing it and the labor alone was $450 for just my awning. We bought the awning fabrics and all the necessary stuff for BOTH awnings for around $350.
2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins w/ 4:10 Rear
2009 Cherokee 31B TT

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It is a pretty simple project. The Youtube video's are very helpful and you need a second person or two to help run the material into the guides.
Don't buy the cheap $120 replacement junk on Fleabay. I did and it's so thin that tons of light and heat come right through it.
It's so worthless that I'll probably replace it after a couple of seasons.