cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing storage bay doors on an older TT?

SouthParkSteve
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my first camper back in August--a 1978 Skyline Nomad 24' travel trailer. On my first trip, I opened up the rear storage bay door, and it almost came off in my hand--the wood on the door itself is pretty rotted through. I have the same issue on the door covering the electric panel.

I am NOT handy at all--how difficult would it be to change those myself? I will probably need to replace both the frames and the door. There may also be issues with the wood around the frame, but I just want to make this useable for the next 2-3 years--until I get used to camping and can afford to upgrade to a newer camper.

Is this something that would be expensive to take to a dealer to have it fixed?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Steve
6 REPLIES 6

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to get a custom size new door c/w hardware, this company may have something. Challenger Door

SouthParkSteve
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you for your responses! Many options to consider once I can dig it out of the snow.......

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some good ideas posted, however bay doors are not universal or "one size fits all".

Size and shape is often rather custom to the brand, model and years that your trailer floor plan was built.

This makes finding and buying NOS (New Old Stock) or used pretty much a useless heart breaking trail of tears.

You have two options.

1- Have a new custom doors made to your dimensions (extremely and insanely expensive)Allrite is just one of a couple places which will do this..

2- Remove door, tear out any damaged wood and replace with new (not easy but still do able for anyone that is handy with a few basic power tools like a jig saw and power screw driver or cordless drill.

You will need to address any damaged wood framing around the opening, you will need to make sure that the leaks have been fixed then you will need to remove all rotted wood and make new framing. Not hard to do but a bit of work.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Is there something wrong with the doors or is it the supporting framework? It's not difficult to fix the frame. Pull out the old wood and glue/screw the new wood into place. Don't throw the doors away if they're not bent or broken. It will be a long search for replacement doors.

If you're allergic to tool handles, enlist a local handyman or get a quote from the dealer.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should be able to order new doors from most any RV place as most doors are fairly standard.

As for rotted wood problem, that must be dealt with otherwise it will spread. If wood at edges of door is rotted, you will not be able to install new doors, as you will not be able to screw into the rotted wood.
Dr Quick

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might check ebay or a rv salvage yard for some doors. Some rv dealers might have some around the shop they would like to get rid of as well. 78 is the old square doors and might be hard to find.