cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof leak could use some advice

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
Okay so I've got my 2007 jayco 25z feather lite camper, last weekend the wife and I decided to take it out for a overnight get away to lake Georgetown here in Texas. It was about 100 degrees when I finally got everything set up only for the AC to go out as I sat down for lunch. I guess I could call it a blessing in disguise because when I got on the roof to diagnose the AC unit I noticed a rather large gap in the aluminum trim piece on the back part of the roof. I also noticed the sealer on the front aluminum trim looks rather old. And also around roof penetrations and around sky lights

So the question is what type of roof sealer can I get to put on my white roof that will do the job well?

And must I remove all old sealer before i can put on the new?

Also update on the AC unit it's repaired I found a few weak capacitors forty bucks later I've got ice cold air again!
5 REPLIES 5

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
from time to time, check the four mounting bolts on the A/C unit. That is another cause of water leaks ....make sure you gntly snug them up
2017 Jayflight 26BH Elite

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
Okay thanks a lot I'll go try and find some

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this thread from a day or two ago.

eternabond dicor thread
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
This video should help:
Video

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond Tape and Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant are about the best products for repairing/maintaining RV roofs.

Eternabond is a one time repair. It will last a long time.

Shop around for the best prices.

Remove the old sealant, if it's loose. If it's sticking okay, just leave it and go over it with the new sealant.

Use a heat gun on LOW and a plastic putty knife to remove the old caulk.

Clean the area well before applying the new caulk and/or Eternabond.