cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof weight limit?

sheaffrp
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2001 Jayco Eagle 31ft Bunkhouse last year. Need to clean the roof, but wanted to find out the weight limit before doing so. Does anyone have any input? Any help is appreciated? Thank you in advance!
7 REPLIES 7

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Most roofs, especially of a certain age have support every 16". You can usually tell if you're on it or not. My roof is technically not walkable, but I've been doing it as needed since 2004. Agree with the others that you typically shouldn't need to get on the roof to clean it.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
If you have to get up there and are really fearful, cut a few 16" squares out of 3/4" ply and walk/crawl on them to distribute the weight.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Dose it have a ladder on the back for getting on the roof? If so that's put there for a reason. I would get on top and see how the roof felt under foot.If you don't feel the roof is strong enough to hold the weight then don't. I've walked on top of both of mine and several others without any problem.I always get on top every time we camp and clean off anything that's fallen on the slide out roof. Now I'm not saying to jump up and down while your up there.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Some roofs are made to withstand walking on, others are not. You can probably get on the roof, but if you do crawl on all 4's so all 230 pounds is distributed over more points. If you are able, find the roof trusses, put your weight over them.

I was told by my dealership that one of my previous trailers (Keystone Springdale) had a walkable roof. The first time I walked on it, it felt ok, but definately soft between the trusses. As I went to the back, evidently the trusses were farther appart and I heard a crack. I backed off immediately, and never walked on it again. I always crawled or worked from the side. The cracking never hurt anything.

My Keystone Outback had an arched roof. Dealership told me I could walk on it, and I did, all the time.

My Montana 5er now has a walkable roof. Actually, I could throw a party up there if I wanted.

So, it's hard to say. But basing the year of your model, I'd pretty much safely say ... you cannot "walk" on your roof. Crawl, do a belly slide, work from the side, yes. But not 115 pounds on one spot.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Easy enough to solve that problem. DON'T GET ON THE ROOF.
I used a 10' step ladder and a long handled brush to clean the roof.
When I put a new roof on this spring, I used the same technique to roll on the
rubber roof material.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Roof maintenance is far more than cleaning and most roof work can be done from a ladder. Use a manufacturer approved product. In my case granulated mild soap. Then comes the important part - resealing and maybe coating. No one cares about how clean a roof is but all of us care about being waterproof.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
I recently went on my keystones Springdale roof to do maintenance and I'm about 230 lbs. It felt good but the roof did flex a little.