cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV hitch weight question

luckyc1423
Explorer
Explorer
When a manufacturer lists 865 pounds of hitch weight. Is that the hitch weight with the travel trailer maxed out at the GVWR or is that the hitch weight unloaded?

I am going to be close to my payload and im curious how they calculate hitch weight and how loading stuff in the trailer will affect that number.
5 REPLIES 5

Community Alumni
Not applicable
The stated hitch weight on mine was as it left the factory and included full propane tanks and the battery.

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
luckyc1423 wrote:
When a manufacturer lists 865 pounds of hitch weight. Is that the hitch weight with the travel trailer maxed out at the GVWR or is that the hitch weight unloaded?
Does the 865# number come from a brochure or does it come from the weight sticker which is provided for each trailer when it leaves the factory?
Some manufacturers specify what is included in these numbers.

A manufacturer's "hitch weight is not based on GVWR.
For good yaw stability, the tongue weight for a travel trailer should be about 13% of the trailer's loaded weight.

If you tell us the manufacturer, model number, and year, we could provide a more informed response to your question.

Ron

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Dry. I'd add at least 200 pounds for loaded TW due to where the storage is in most TTs.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
anything afer about 2010 it's dry as it left the factory. Usually leaves factory with no battery(s) and empty propane.

so unless it is stated with batteries and full propane immediately add
1) about 60-75lbs PER battery
2) 30lbs per propane tank

since that weight is essentially carried close to completely by the tongue.

as a point of reference. my trailer has a dry tongue weight of about 750lbs.

want to know the actual tongue weight with a full water tank, propane and batteries and stuff in the trailer??? 1450 lbs. yes, almost double the empty weight.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Usually what is listed is the dry tongue weight. From that number you generally add the battery and propane weight and then some of what goes in front storage. Figure about 12.5% of total loaded weight as a starting estimate.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73