cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV LED 1156

Gilles1945
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to this forum and would like to have your knowledge. I have replace all my incandescent 1156 interior light in my RV with two different suppliers and I'm having problem with all of them. They come so hot when you touch them they melt down. Can somebody help me with this??

Would appreciate your help
13 REPLIES 13

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Gilles1945 wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
Gilles1945 wrote:
Hey thanks ktmrfs ,

I'm glade for the info but how to find a supplier that sell a IC??

My off shore Chinese el cheapo LEDs have worked just fine for me for 5 years now but this US company has been mentioned often in forum discussion as a good source of quality LED bulbs.

***Link Removed***

Hey tanks again for the quick reply. I'm trying to find a supplier that sell IC one and I can't find any. What is the spec for IC led???

one easy way is to look for the voltage range. if it says something like 12V be concerned. if it gives a range, say 12-24V or 12-18 V or any decent voltage range then your highly likely to get a good unit.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds strange to me. I bought the cheapest off-shore 10 bulb packs with the most segments that I could find. Never had any issues.

They plug into the old lamp socket and run much much cooler. I bought both the "day light" and the "bright" lamps.

For my ceiling lamp over the table, I found some bayonet mount 128 segment models. They are brighter than the previous incandescent bulbs.

I am still looking for a 12 volt lamp that is as bright as the 120 volt LED bulbs I have at home.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
The OP has vaguely described his location as "Canada Eastern" :R ... wherever that may be he might want to consider ordering directly from RV Lighting Inc in Quebec which sells a variety of LED replacement bulbs in both singles and six packs, both cold and warm. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Don't blame you. swapped out all my bulbs with LED's a couple of years ago. Didn't care for how much heat the old IC bulbs generated.

But the one issue I have, and maybe someone can advise, is the LED above the sink will flicker when running the water pump. None of the other ones do it.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We experienced just the opposite with all of the LEDs we replaced when we did our full LED conversion 5 years ago. Purchased them from an Ebay source highly recommended on this forum, to date none have failed and all run so much cooler than the 1156 incandescents they replaced.

We decided to use mostly flatpanel type LEDs, they came with 4 different connectors to replace most types of bulbs used in RVs. We purchased a few LEDs here in the US, unfortunately they all have failed, some had voltage regulators on them which produced noise that affected some of our audio equipment.

Can't remember off hand which Ebayer we purchased our LEDs from, a search will yield plenty of suggestions. We do lots of RVing without power hookups and we love our LED lighting, they do not have voltage regulators on them and they have zero issues handling our Iota's IQ4 14.8Vdc bulk charge.

WA4HTZ
Explorer
Explorer
Believe it or not, try Walmart. I was looking for a LED replacement for a 1076 bulb and found the best price there online. It is a Green Value brand made by Ming's Mark in (of course) China. 8 to 30 volt operating range so it has a regulator in it. The warm white is listed as 3000 - 3500K so a little more toward daylight than an incandescent but still not at all blueish. The two best parts: $4.99 a bulb and free pickup at your local store. I liked it so I just ordered four more to make the trailer completely LED. I'll have to wait and see if they last as long as they are supposed to. Hope this helps.

Ken
Ken and Jeannette
2015 FunFinder 266KIRB - Traded in
2006 Ford F-250 "Super" Cab Long Bed - Traded in

2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A

Gilles1945
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Gilles1945 wrote:
Hey thanks ktmrfs ,

My off shore Chinese el cheapo LEDs have worked just fine for me for 5 years now but this US company has been mentioned often in forum discussion as a good source of quality LED bulbs.

***Link Removed***

Hey tanks again for the quick reply. I'm trying to find a supplier that sell IC one and I can't find any. What is the spec for IC led???

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Gilles1945 wrote:
Hey thanks ktmrfs ,

M4 Products
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Gilles1945
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
I assume you replaced them with LED. and what you got was likely the cheapest worst LED configuration possible, which are bound to fail in an RV. You likely got ones with a simple dropping resistor to set the current, these are designed to work with a 12V fixed voltage source. Once you turn on your charger and get to 13.6 otr 14+V, the current goes up and the LED's get hot and go into thermal runaway. and yes they will literally get hot enough to unsolder themselves. and won't last long.

ones like in the link above are ones that look to be very well designed and should work well in an RV.

you will need to find a supplier of LED bulbs that have a IC that provides a constant current to the LED, the best ones use a pulsed current source. and they will last a long time.

Hey thanks ktmrfs ,

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you replaced them with LED. and what you got was likely the cheapest worst LED configuration possible, which are bound to fail in an RV. You likely got ones with a simple dropping resistor to set the current, these are designed to work with a 12V fixed voltage source. Once you turn on your charger and get to 13.6 otr 14+V, the current goes up and the LED's get hot and go into thermal runaway. and yes they will literally get hot enough to unsolder themselves. and won't last long.

ones like in the link above are ones that look to be very well designed and should work well in an RV.

you will need to find a supplier of LED bulbs that have a IC that provides a constant current to the LED, the best ones use a pulsed current source. and they will last a long time.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer
You will love LED lights. You can have a bunch and still not suck down the battery.
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Chloe, Belle, & Danke
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
These work well for me, no excess heat: 1141 LED
Bob

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem, returned the bulbs and just bought LED fixtures...no issues
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22