Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv Newbie...Need Help With Tow Truck!!

JulieS456
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone!

We just purchased our 1st new to us TT! The TT is 33feet long and has a dry weight of 6,576 with a payload of 3,167. That being said...what truck should we buy to pull this rig? I've read that 1/2 ton trucks will work to pull, but I'm scared that it wont be enough. I would rather have more truck than not enough truck...but I also dont want to spend 70k on a new truck! I'm open to any and all suggestions...diesel or fuel...Ram or Chevy. The TT will have its home in Alabama so it wont ne full of mountains..but that doesnt mean it wont be up in the mountains eventually!
20 REPLIES 20

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Ranger Smith wrote:

3/4 tons have better brakes and sometimes it is not about pulling it but stopping it. The generally also have an engine brake on them where the 1500's don't

HUH? Never ever seen a gas motor with an engine brake? Is this something new?

Mine in tow mode was a transmision brake which adjusted the downshifting when braking.It was a Chevy 2500 hd
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Half ton truck will pull your TT. Wonโ€™t stop it very well. Wonโ€™t be stable in winds. Wonโ€™t be level when hitched.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ranger Smith wrote:

3/4 tons have better brakes and sometimes it is not about pulling it but stopping it. The generally also have an engine brake on them where the 1500's don't

HUH? Never ever seen a gas motor with an engine brake? Is this something new?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any of the 2500/250 series of trucks will work just fine. Get a gas motor unless you are towing a LOT. Then a diesel might be a better bargain. While a 1500 might work, you likely would be disappointed with end results. There is jo need to spend 70K for a new one. Either find a gently used or if shopping new, look for lower line trucks. For instance a New Ran Tradesman with a gas motor you should be able to find for well under 50K. Dennis Dillon near Boise,ID usually sells for far lower than other dealers. And they have a fly/drive deals. Turn it into a mini vacation.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I would not get anything less than a 3/4 ton. I had a 34' Keystone and my Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas pulled it fine. It will need a weight distribution hitch for it.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
You will be much happier with a 3/4 ton truck.