cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Salmon Fishing trip to Upper Peninsula of Michigan

rovral4
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a trip Salmon fishing to U P of Michigan but wondering if Id be better off on the North shore of Lake Michigan, or the South shore of Lake Superior. Im pulling a 19 foot alum skif behind my Ford Dully an Lance 930. I also plan on wading some streams
5 REPLIES 5

rovral4
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
As much as we love the U.P. i'd think twice about fishing in most of Lake Superior as it gets horrendously rough in a very short timing and there's very few areas of shelter to get to. It's not like the ocean waves as we have boated off the West Palm Beach and the middle Keys areas in 18'-26' I/O's and outboards for years and it's no match for Lake Superior or northern Lake Michigan. We'd kept a decent sized boat in Florida for 19 years.

There are over 4,000 shipwrecks on the bottom of the Great Lakes and most are from sudden storms. Many huge ships have been broken in two like matchsticks by the waves. Waves as high as 50 ft high have been documented on Lake Superior and 35' on Lake Michigan.

The waves in Lake Superior get very high fast, peaked and can be breaking and they'll be real close together. Lake Superior is very deep at 1333 ft and sualyy a very rocky shore and shallow areas. The wind comes up at all or you see the seas building, get in as quick as you can as you might be sorry if you don't. You must be extremely careful and not take chances.

Salmon fishing is done at the depth of the thermocline temp level where salmon will be at. Salmon are Trout and stay in 45F to 52F as much as possible regardles of the depth it's at. 10' or 250' plus. It's offshore usually a few to a lot of miles. I've downrigger fished for salmon for years and caught so many. My largest was a 43" 34lb King (Chinook) salmon. Lots of harbors and bays to seek shelter in if needed in Lake Michigan and most of the shoreline is sandy.

Do come and have the time of your life fishing and be safe. Fall, Sept thru Nov, is the stormy and widy season on the Great lakes but there are a lot of gorgeous days and periods when the sea is flat too.

The yearly Salmon Festival is in Grand Haven in Sept each year (Sept 13th-15th in 2013 and there are thousands attending and fishing each year and big prizes and live entertainment etc tents.

http://www.visitgrandhaven.com/salmon-festival-11/

http://www.michigan.org/events/grand-haven-salmon-festival/

or Google Grand Haven Salmon Festival

Also doings in some of the other ports in Northern Michigan. Google the area you want to be in as to what's going on. Also the wading of rivers and streams where it's allowed can be very productive and you are allowed 5 per day in they haven't changes the rules as we haven't salmon fished for a couple years now due some health issues and already having more than we could possibly eat. Gave away many hundreds of pounds of fillets over the years as there's so much meat on an average sized salmon.

rovral4
Explorer
Explorer
FreeLanceing wrote:
If you are coming for the fishing, you would be better to fish mid or north lake mi. It depends on the time of the year. The fishing heats up in the south end early and as the water warms the fish move north. The up is great but the fishing is better down here. All the ports from Holland north offer exellent salmon fishing. GH, Ludington, Frankfort maybe the best. PM me if you wish for more info. No matter what you decide you cant go wrong fishing Mi in the summer.

FreeLanceing
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are coming for the fishing, you would be better to fish mid or north lake mi. It depends on the time of the year. The fishing heats up in the south end early and as the water warms the fish move north. The up is great but the fishing is better down here. All the ports from Holland north offer exellent salmon fishing. GH, Ludington, Frankfort maybe the best. PM me if you wish for more info. No matter what you decide you cant go wrong fishing Mi in the summer.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
The salmon fishing is pretty good near Waukegan and Zion, Illinois.

Camping at Illinois Beach is $25.00/night and the campsites are big enough for your camper and your boat.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
As much as we love the U.P. i'd think twice about fishing in most of Lake Superior as it gets horrendously rough in a very short timing and there's very few areas of shelter to get to. It's not like the ocean waves as we have boated off the West Palm Beach and the middle Keys areas in 18'-26' I/O's and outboards for years and it's no match for Lake Superior or northern Lake Michigan. We'd kept a decent sized boat in Florida for 19 years.

There are over 4,000 shipwrecks on the bottom of the Great Lakes and most are from sudden storms. Many huge ships have been broken in two like matchsticks by the waves. Waves as high as 50 ft high have been documented on Lake Superior and 35' on Lake Michigan.

The waves in Lake Superior get very high fast, peaked and can be breaking and they'll be real close together. Lake Superior is very deep at 1333 ft and sualyy a very rocky shore and shallow areas. The wind comes up at all or you see the seas building, get in as quick as you can as you might be sorry if you don't. You must be extremely careful and not take chances.

Salmon fishing is done at the depth of the thermocline temp level where salmon will be at. Salmon are Trout and stay in 45F to 52F as much as possible regardles of the depth it's at. 10' or 250' plus. It's offshore usually a few to a lot of miles. I've downrigger fished for salmon for years and caught so many. My largest was a 43" 34lb King (Chinook) salmon. Lots of harbors and bays to seek shelter in if needed in Lake Michigan and most of the shoreline is sandy.

Do come and have the time of your life fishing and be safe. Fall, Sept thru Nov, is the stormy and widy season on the Great lakes but there are a lot of gorgeous days and periods when the sea is flat too.

The yearly Salmon Festival is in Grand Haven in Sept each year (Sept 13th-15th in 2013 and there are thousands attending and fishing each year and big prizes and live entertainment etc tents.

http://www.visitgrandhaven.com/salmon-festival-11/

http://www.michigan.org/events/grand-haven-salmon-festival/

or Google Grand Haven Salmon Festival

Also doings in some of the other ports in Northern Michigan. Google the area you want to be in as to what's going on. Also the wading of rivers and streams where it's allowed can be very productive and you are allowed 5 per day in they haven't changes the rules as we haven't salmon fished for a couple years now due some health issues and already having more than we could possibly eat. Gave away many hundreds of pounds of fillets over the years as there's so much meat on an average sized salmon.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT