cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satphone experiences...

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
never used one. Any real issues you would need to be aware of?
52 REPLIES 52

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes I sit and think, sometimes I just sit (Author unknown)

I've been thinking about all of these gizmos and I remembered that recently and commercial airplane disappeared into maybe the indian Ocean or...?

Then I think about my cell phone... it has a GPS built in... and I can easily find it if it gets stolen or lost...

Now, I'm thinking...

About Sat Phones and airplanes

They can't find anytrace of the airplane with satallites and the worlds best technologies, what ever. Somethings wrong... even I can find my phone. How many of the passengers had phones?

Now, I'm really tyhinking...

How ofter do Sat Phones save someone? Close to 100% of the calls that make it and some agency is able to respond in time.

What is the failure rate for Sat Phones... it could be much higher than the sucess rate... We never hear about the failures... (if they couldn't save themselves they won't be reporting the failures... they may be dead.

read Subconsulting's trip report... about the german man on a Macho trip with his family.

Don't be macho... learn the basic skills and more before you get in over your head... then add the toys if you wish.

If they can't find an airplane... why do you think they can find you?

Sleepy
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
We asked ourselves this question a few years ago. I couldn't justify the expense of a sat phone - we would end up using it for non-life-threatening purposes and run up a big expense. Also, I would be suspicious that when I really did need to use it the battery would have died. We also didn't want the hassle (and expense) of renting one.

In the end we decided that our primary need was to ensure that if truly had a life-threatening situation we had something that would give us a chance of summoning help. E.g. if we rolled the vehicle in the desert and barely managed to crawl out with broken legs.

As much as I would probably like to be able to receive emails or important calls or update my facebook page everywhere, these things were not of life or death importance. As an exercise I like to think back to the days of global travel before global communication, when someone would kiss his wife goodbye and head by stage-coach for Portsmouth for a ship with words like "look after the children, hopefully I'll be back in 3 or 4 years".

I decided that being able to get mobile phone reception every few days so the phone will pick up any messages as we pass through a zone with signal, was sufficient for non-fatal-emergencies. If we are somewhere that we cannot get a cell phone signal for several days we are probably somewhere it will take multiple days of travel to get home anyway even if a relative is dying.

In the end I settled on a EPIRB / PLB - one that transmits on an emergency frequency and also receives a GPS position which it transmits to satellite.

I know if I am trapped down a slot canyon or in a forest then I may not be able to use such a device effectively, but in many other cases it will work and may be the only thing between me and death.

The EPIRB was a one-off (ish) cost. The battery lasts something like 5 years, after which you must send it back for a new battery (at a cost). But there are no subscription costs.

If I pull the trigger on it the signal will be sent to the coast guard who will try to contact me on the phone number registered with them. If that fails they can alert the relevant rescue authorities (if any exist in the country I am in).

So this works for us and I carry it when travelling or performing risky activities in locations where I am unlikely to get discovered by someone in a few hours. It is small enough and light enough to carry on my person whether hiking or climbing, which also means I am more likely to have it on my person in the event of a vehicle fire, and it is cheap enough that I am less worried about the likelihood of theft. It is also waterproof.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
Sleepy's only error was saying," if the gizmo fails." When the gizmo fails is proper. All the gadgets are aids and are bound to fail. To this day the basic tool of the Navigator is still a #2 lead pencil with an ERASER. All competent Navigators start with a chart and the # 2 pencil and set a ded reckoning course, so there is something to fall back on when the GPS craps out or the power fails. Life raft canisters, VHF and single side band and Ham radios, EPIRB, Sat Tel, flares are all good, if they can be activated. The basic, an attitude of self reliance, is still the most important fall back safety tool. Outward Bound which started as a training course for seaman's survival, learned that those with a positive attitude towards getting by, were most likely to survive.

In the woods or on the sea it's pretty much the same, the McGeyver types tend to fare the best.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We rented an Iridium 9505A for our Alaska trip last year. DH has severe heart issues and wanted to make sure we were covered. We also used a "Spot" locator. We shared the cost of $407.33 with the other couple traveling with us and we had 65 minutes in our package. Never needed it, although I did use it a couple times calling our son in Florida. It worked perfectly and it gave us some peace of mind that we would be able to communicate with either the phone or the Spot locator if an emergency arose. We rented it for 3 months.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
...just charts and sextant or communication aids other than a VHF radio

....that reminds me of radio-relaying along the Mosquito Coast (Honduras & Nica: village-to-village radio relaying); the only way (back in the '90s and before) to get your "message" to civilization from "way out there"...
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....I agree entirely with Sleepy:

-IF you intend to go beyond cell coverage in North America (whether you are aware of coverage zone or not, err on the side of safety) buy a very highly-rated PLB, not a sat phone....on edit:

but:

-also, be aware that sat phone and PLB aren't infallible (read: if you are out of sat vision, stormy weather, heavy canopy, canyon bottom, you may be SOL)

The only places I have ever carried sat phone(s) are in "exotic locales", like Central America, etc (some time ago when sat phones were ugly to deal with). One caveat: IMO, check very carefully if your PLB communicates directly with NOAA and the US Air Force (via COSPAS-SARSAT) or a private coordinator...and know what the difference is!

S-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
dadwolf2...good stuff. good price on the unit and even better on the service plan, thanks.

Sentinelist
Explorer
Explorer
I also use an Iridium 9505A, though if I could swing the newer 9555, I definitely would. Smaller, better build quality. I do not keep it activated, but I do keep a few spare new SIM cards in case I ever do (get yours on Amazon- good prep item!) along with activation instructions from both a US and international provider in case one of them is down.

I've used this model before with good results, and loaned one to my parents on their trip to Israel recently, but mine is for emergency use only due to the standing expense otherwise. I have the magnet mount vehicle antenna puck fixed to the driver-front corner of my hood, so I do not need to stand outside to use it.
'The TerraShuttle'
1993 Chevrolet Silverado K3500 6.5L mechanically-injected turbo-diesel 4x4 quad-cab SRW long-bed, Olympic White, 278k miles, 2001 Lance 815 self-contained TC rig

My build thread

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Mello Mike wrote:
SVCJeff,
EPIRB, HF High Seas, 2182KHZ, CH16...Wow, I haven't heard some of those terms in years. Were you in the Navy or CG?
None of the above.. I'm a radio guy that grew up around boats. My step brother is a retired USCG guy who lost a friend to the antiquated DF gear in the coast guard aircraft and they didn't find him in time. He made it his personal quest to wake up the boys in the head office and Congress to fund Doppler gear. Tweaked a few noses along the way too, but the results are what you see today. So I kinda pay attention to stuff like this. And yes I can actually read charts and Topos, but GPS is way easier... ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:
Then Columbus makes two people that can walk on water. When I was a kid half way back to the cival war the teachers told us that Columbus came over on three ships...

A lot of the answers on this thread are for sat phone use on land...

some are for it, some think there are better solutions

some apparently seem to think that there are better technologies on sea and land

I personally think that everyone should have the necessary basic skills to explore, to travel, so that they can survive without gizmos...

then if they want gizmos fine... if the gizmo fails they can survive.
nobody is arguing that, and nobody cares how Columbus did it 500+ years ago. Whether or not he had the skills at the time he sure wouldn't do it that way again in 2014. The OP already said his partner was an old school guy, so this rant is redundant. He has the skills... Move on
Jeff - WA6EQU

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
The DeLorme Inreach satellite messenger might be just what you are looking for. It was given an Editors Choice award from Outdoor Gear Lab.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Then Columbus makes two people that can walk on water. When I was a kid half way back to the cival war the teachers told us that Columbus came over on three ships...

A lot of the answers on this thread are for sat phone use on land...

some are for it, some think there are better solutions

some apparently seem to think that there are better technologies on sea and land

I personally think that everyone should have the necessary basic skills to explore, to travel, so that they can survive without gizmos...

then if they want gizmos fine... if the gizmo fails they can survive.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
DWeikert wrote:
sleepy wrote:

John Muir, Danial Boone, Lewis and Clark, Columbus... what if they hadn't explored?

The Donner Party, the Franklin Expedition, Percy Fawcett... What if they could've called for help?
Exactly.. That was then and this is now. You don't think any of those groups had whatever the technology of that day with them? Any true exploritary team (not some weekend thrill seeker) these days are all carrying the latest technology. The only people lost these days are those thinking technology is for pansies and think they can do it on their own. Trying to compare Percy, Donner, and the rest to anything today is silly. They weren't stupid, they just made due with what they had.

Besides, this is an ocean crossing, not a ground party.
Jeff - WA6EQU

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
DWeikert wrote:
sleepy wrote:

John Muir, Danial Boone, Lewis and Clark, Columbus... what if they hadn't explored?

The Donner Party, the Franklin Expedition, Percy Fawcett... What if they could've called for help?

None of your list would have been here without the few on my list and of course my list could have many more bold and corageous explorers... fearlessly facing the unkown... with just their skills and training to get them through.

What were the Donners contribution? If they hadn't eaten human flesh we wouldn't know who the were... Yes, I've been over Donner Pass... seen a little of what they were up againest.

As it is, we also know who Jeffrey Dalimer is for the same reason.