Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

scheduled maintenance(axles)

eskins
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I'm asking for advice on scheduled maintenance, and or if anyone has any schedules that I could use.

I have had my keystone bullet 248rks for about 1.5 years, taken it on four trips that total just over 1200 miles.

I'm wondering when I should have the axles inspected and any other things that might be needed relative to breaking down on the highway.

I'm getting mixed answers: Camping world said every 5K miles, but also said since i've had it sitting more than out, they should be checked(~$300.00) and repaired/repacked as necessary.

Keystone says every 3 months which makes absolutely no sense to me.

Any advice here much appreciated. I'm getting ready to head out on Memorial which round trip ~ 250 miles.
10 REPLIES 10

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
12 months or 12,000 miles is the norm. I'll do mine for the 1st time this spring as it will be 12 months. After that, at the most every other year.

That's what I do.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

eskins
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the feedback. I'll get them checked and see what they look like next year.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I do mine every year. If you're mechanically inclined and can do them yourself, they're quite easy and cheap to do. Like the other poster, the first time I did them, they didn't have much grease in them. I do a brake check and adjustment and make absolutely everything is completely operational before camping season. The last thing I want is a failure on the road or even to have to make repairs during the season. Bearing seals run you at most 10-15 dollars per axle and a tub of good synthetic grease lasts for years.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
12 months or 12,000 miles is the norm. I'll do mine for the 1st time this spring as it will be 12 months. After that, at the most every other year.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Pauljdav wrote:
I am considering doing my 2010 cougar for the first time. I doubt they need it but the brakes need adjusting so I will take care of both at the same time.

Just had it done on my 2011 which was purchased in 2010. Needed brakes adjusted and had bearings repacked also.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
I have greased my bearings twice in 8 years and they are cool to the touch every time I take it out. While I do not recommend my method, my point is that bearing maintenance annually is like changing your oil every 3k. If you run through salted roads and snow all the time or death valley all summer (extreme service) it might make sense. If you suspect problems it might make sense. If you run in the sunshine on decent roads (like me) it doesn't. Annual tear down and greasing is old thinking considering the improved synthetic grease available and a more realistic interval is bi-annually or longer. Adjust the brakes annually. Just one man's opinion.

X2.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering doing my 2010 cougar for the first time. I doubt they need it but the brakes need adjusting so I will take care of both at the same time.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I have greased my bearings twice in 8 years and they are cool to the touch every time I take it out. While I do not recommend my method, my point is that bearing maintenance annually is like changing your oil every 3k. If you run through salted roads and snow all the time or death valley all summer (extreme service) it might make sense. If you suspect problems it might make sense. If you run in the sunshine on decent roads (like me) it doesn't. Annual tear down and greasing is old thinking considering the improved synthetic grease available and a more realistic interval is bi-annually or longer. Adjust the brakes annually. Just one man's opinion.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

markandkim
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whoever holds your warranty, what they say!
Retired Navy

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7L
2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd do it now, since it's never been done since it came off the lot... I did mine after it's first year and found very little grease in the bearings.. Enough to not cause any damage, but not like how I like to see them packed..

I do my own and it gives me a chance to check and adjust the brakes too.

After the first couple of years doing it every year, I've now gone to every other year now because I saw that after MY packing of the bearings, they still have plenty of grease in them, even every other year.. But, the brakes still need adjusting, so that's my schedule.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.