cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

securing a genny ??

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
looking to buy a small genny (honda, yamaha champion etc) for our new to us 21 ft TT. want it so when traveling and stop at night we have power for A/C etc>
MY QUESTION...........looking for suggestions as to how you secure your genny to the back of your trailer? was thinking of putting some type of shelf on the back bumper that the genny can sit on but how do u secure the genny to keep it from getting stolen during the night.
how do u secure yours and if possible any pictures would help/
thanks
18 REPLIES 18

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Onan and have had great service from their generators. Last one burned in a barn fire with 5000 hrs on it and never a burp. Haul it in bed of pickup.

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Tork Lift lock and load

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
joelyn wrote:
Lantley wrote:
You will need 2 smaller 2000 watt generators to run AC. Just one will be questionable. If you are serious about your idea you will need a dedicated enclosure of some sort to truly secure your gensets.
If you are relying on locks and chains there will always be risk.
Once upon a time I carried my genset in an enclosed diamond plate box. It worked very well.

I was think of something like this also but made of a thick chain link type fence enclosure for proper ventilation.
securing in the truck is best but after shutting it down i would think you need to wait a hour or so to cool down which is a problem.

:h

I run mine sitting in the back of the truck. When I'm done I just close the cap door and go.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

joy-rick
Explorer
Explorer
Honda makes a steel handle protector for their generators. I think they are about $25. If you put one of these over your generator handle then it makes it extremely difficult for thieves to cut through your handle. If you don't protect the handle they can easily cut through the plastic (or nylon) or whatever it is made of.
Rick (K8RWG), Joy, and Daffy (the spoiled Calico cat)
2014 Rockwood 8315BSS
2016 F250 SCLB 4x4 6.2 3.73
Reese Dual Cam

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have for seven years carried a Honda 3,000 in the back of the truck with a plywood box over it . Ain't no one gonna steal it when it is in use and the rest of the time it is covered up . It stays in there for years at a time . We very seldom stay in a campground but do manage over one hundred days a year in TT.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Go to youtube.com and search for GearDeck17 video. Its what I use to store and run my Champ 3500. I also use a heavy chain that loops inside the box to the frame.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
You will need 2 smaller 2000 watt generators to run AC. Just one will be questionable. If you are serious about your idea you will need a dedicated enclosure of some sort to truly secure your gensets.
Once upon a time I carried my genset in an enclosed diamond plate box. It worked very well.

I was think of something like this also but made of a thick chain link type fence enclosure for proper ventilation.
securing in the truck is best but after shutting it down i would think you need to wait a hour or so to cool down which is a problem.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a inverter generator and I keep it in the back of truck when not in use and locked to the trailer frame when used.

You will need 3000 watts to run a A/C. Mine is 1800 watts and will not run the A/C.

The back bumper will not support a generator. You would need a bracket bolted to the frame.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
If we take a generator, it sits just inside the trailers door for the trip. Once there it gets chained to the tongue or bumper unless in use. I have used our old beat up open frame in a attempt to scare off clearing crasher, part of me worries that if they see mine, they will think theirs is ok.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
I am very happy with my HONDA EU 1000 . I secure it with a quality bicycle U lock. I would consider a Yamaha if it were me. They are the quietest I know of and least offensive to the neighbors. If you mount it on a platform buy the cover.

:E Buy a cover, not the manufacturers cover that says Honda or Yamaha on the outside !!!! :h
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I am very happy with my HONDA EU 1000 . I secure it with a quality bicycle U lock. I would consider a Yamaha if it were me. They are the quietest I know of and least offensive to the neighbors. If you mount it on a platform buy the cover.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I keep mine locked in the back of my P/U when not in use.As mentioned out in the open it says steal me.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion, having a red or blue one out in the open is like having a sign that says "steal me". RoyB's idea as a first line of defense being concealment, is by far your best alternative.

And in conjunction with that using one of THESE. :B

I actually carry mine inside the TT while in transit (48 lbs,) & chain it to the rear bumper when being used. I have a duffle type zippered bag with handles that fits it perfectly for in transit & acts as a cover concealing it while outdoors. I had a Tent & Awning company cut & sew a small slit in the "bottom" corner of the bag, then just invert the bag & the chain lock goes through there to the trailer rear bumper & frame.

And my third line of defense is.... "mine is yellow" :E
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74