cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Semi-portable solar charging

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
How practical would it be to build a solar charging system that could be moved back/forth from the TC to the Airstream?
We typically use the TC Fall, Winter, Spring and use the AS during the summer. It would be great to build a system that could be shared between the 2 campers.

If the wiring and controller are mirrored in each camper, how difficult would it be to make mounting brackets that would allow me to unplug and move the panels?
Is this practical?
How heavy are these things?
What else would need to be considered?
I am thinking that the panels are the $$$ component so sharing the panels would save some $.

We don't want to go with the ground based portable systems for several reasons. Would rather stick with roof mounted.

Thanks for the feedback, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson
19 REPLIES 19

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
The portable kits are convenient and some are less expensive. For a little effort and not much more cash if any you can put together the low cost components yourself and improve where it would help you the best. It wouldn't take much to hinge a pair of panels, get 10 gauge MC4 cable and controller that would have the features you are interested in.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

hbski
Explorer
Explorer
some related info
'06 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC LB DRW
Ride-Rites, Hellwig, Torklift Tiedowns, Fast Guns, Superhitch
'07 Okanagan 117DBL

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ace! wrote:
billtex wrote:
I am not really clear; with the Zamp portable system...everything is included?
No need for seperate controller?

Tx, Bill

Yes, if you look at the pictures, you can see the controller is mounted to the back of the portable unit. It's a completely self-contained, portable, unit. That's probably why it's more expensive than some other options.

Same on the Renogy...for about 1/2 the cost.
These portable kits sure are interesting.

Tx, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:

Tx, Bill

Yes, if you look at the pictures, you can see the controller is mounted to the back of the portable unit. It's a completely self-contained, portable, unit. That's probably why it's more expensive than some other options.
2015 Four Wheel Camper Hawk (on order, impatiently waiting)
2005 Ford F250 CC, V10, 4.30, 4x4
Triple A RV in Medford Sucks

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill

I used a 185 watt portable panel for years and it worked great. Like you, I am not an energy hog and the one panel kept the batteries happy.

Good luck with your project

Bill

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like zamp is a bit pricey and the others are rated just as well.
Thanks for all the info...good stuff.
Will have to do some research.

Anyone have experience with any of these portable systems?

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another portable kit , looks like it is temporarily out of stock .

http://www.renogy-store.com/Renogy-100W-12V-Mono-Portable-Solar-Suitcase-p/kit-stcs100d.htm
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ace! wrote:
Zamp Solar offers portable kits, with the controller built in.

http://www.zampsolar.com/rv-solar-kits/rv-portable-solar/

hmmm...that's interesting. I might be able to make that work with both campers. I like the "wall plug" that would make it a plug/pray system and I don't think it would be difficult to get the panels on the roof of the TC.
A big challenge for us is DW going to the beach for 2-3 weeks at a time. There is plenty of sun there! And the campers pretty much stays put.
I usually head down on the weekends and end up running the genny for hours on end (annoying).
Something like this just might do it.

Tx, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
Zamp Solar offers portable kits, with the controller built in.

http://www.zampsolar.com/rv-solar-kits/rv-portable-solar/
2015 Four Wheel Camper Hawk (on order, impatiently waiting)
2005 Ford F250 CC, V10, 4.30, 4x4
Triple A RV in Medford Sucks

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Here is something that might work for you.

The cart could have the panels,meters and controler. And cables that would connect to your TC or TT batteries. (Cables would have to be heave gauge because of their length)

Just thinking out of the box.

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
I walk on my roof and already have a hard enough time avoiding vents/skylights. Portable would be of interest to me if going solar.

45 Watt Solar Panel Kit: http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-68751-8527.html

And look for the 20% off coupon as well.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I walk on my roof and already have a hard enough time avoiding vents/skylights. Portable would be of interest to me if going solar.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Bedlam
I have a portable system, but rarely use it unless boon docking in one location for more than a couple days. You can easily build something like this with a kick stand behind the panel to adjust angle and the charge controller mounted to the underside of the panel. Jumper cables to the battery or an Anderson connector works equally well to complete the circuit.

I have decided a fixed system that is always charging when stopped or driving is a better setup for me, but portable solar is better than no solar at all.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD