cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shadow Cruiser axle issues

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Shadow Cruiser 280qbs. I've seen a lot of posts about problems with the axles being the wrong size. How do I find out if mine are right or wrong? I'm a relative newbie to trailering.

ed.
2 REPLIES 2

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

X2 with donn0128

Fact that many folks don't know..... Some (many) trailer companies size their axles AFTER subtracting 13% from GVWR (max load + empty trailer weight). This subtraction is done because of assumption that 13% weight is on Tow Vehicle's hitch (ball). IMO, assumption adjustment is great one white board but doesn't align with reality (and higher safety levels).

When sizing axles for my customer bought trailers, I never use this 13% reduction number. Never. For me, I make a trailer to support "average" + next size up. For example, a trailer with GVWR of 3,200 lbs. I then subtract the weight of empty trailer (for example, 800 lbs). I then tell the customer that only 3,200 - 800 = 2,400 lbs cargo capacity) should be loaded. Since I know that some customers like to overload the trailer, I install axle to support 3,600 total weight. And, matching 3,600 lbs leaf springs. Yes, next size up from 3,200 lbs (which is a good safety buffer).

Using above example, determine RV/TT's existing weight numbers via axle's weight tags. Load your RV/TT as if going on the normal towing trip. Tow "average loaded" RV/TT to hiway scale station or gravel pit (for their scale usage) and compare these numbers. Without using this 13% tongue weight reduction number, how does your current axle size (number) compare to your RV/TT's average loaded number?

Based on your unique loading levels and towing road conditions, do you feel your RV/TTs and supporting Leaf Springs should be upgraded to "next size up"? IMO, many RV/TTs axles/leaf spring packs should have next up.

Hope these details help as well.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go under the trailer look for a metal tag and read the axle info. Also the axle ratings will be on a tag on the left front corner of the trailer