cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shopping for well used TT

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I used to be a pop-up family, but sold that in '10. We have a 6yo autistic DS, and it was just too much work (he was 3 then). Now, we want to get back into camping, but with a 24'-27' TT. I want DW to be able to load the camper for trips as she has time, as she is a stay-at-home mom. And when we get to the CG, I want setup to be much easier than it used to be. We also have an 18yo DD, who still loves to camp with us, even though she has started college locally. So we are specifically looking for a bunkhouse model with 2 twin beds.

Our problem is our budget. We can only swing $4k to $5k. I have an '05 1500 Suburban w/tow pkg, so we don't have to worry about that side of the equation. We would qualify to borrow the money for a much nicer budget, but we don't want to go that route. I'm seeing CL ads for units 10-12 years old, or older, that occasionally dip below $5k for asking price. My biggest fear is leaking that has caused wood rot that won't be readily detectable.

Are there any particular brands that have stood the test of time better than others? I seem to have read good things about Sunline (like the 2670 layout). We are seeing a LOT of Coachmen for sale. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. Are they generally a good brand?

Any advice anyone has to offer will be great. We don't want to throw away our very limited budget on a bad purchase.

We are renting an '06 Jayco 27BH for this upcoming Labor Day weekend. This will be our first camping trip this year, and we're really excited about it. We're staying local, but I get to tow this TT about 15 miles to the state park CG, and I'm looking forward to that. This couple renting the TT to us has 4 units total, and the wife mostly runs the rental business. Her husband has a mobile RV repair service, and travels all over NC, VA, SC, etc. One of his services is to inspect campers that someone wants to buy. If we find a unit we really like, we may hire him to give it a professional look see.
12 REPLIES 12

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up a well-kept '95 Sunnybrook 26 DB bunkhouse. We made our maiden voyage this past weekend to our local state park. We're very happy with our purchase. DW is currently on the computer. I'll post pics soon.

This is not our TT, but one someone posted on YouTube to sell theirs. But this is the exact model, and what it looks like.

http://youtu.be/eq7ZlxXkBVk

iv_nurse
Explorer
Explorer
Well? What did you get? Pics please.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the offer, but we picked up a 26' right before Labor Day.

Mom_s_Folly
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you? I have an immaculate 27' Rockwood Ultra Light that I will be happy to sell for $9k.

ezmobee
Explorer
Explorer
You may have to look a little harder but I don't think you'll have a tough time finding a nice camper in that size and price range. You may have to go back to the late 90's but there are plenty of well maintained campers out there. I just bought an '04 30' that's pretty pimped out for $8k and also looked at a VERY well maintained 30' for $7k. So the deals are out there especially this time of year with people facing winter storage costs and maybe found they didn't get out as much as they would have liked during the season.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone's help. I have read about the pressurized leak test, but I can't remember how it is done.

We're looking forward to shopping for a TT, but I'm always nervous about making a buying mistake, no matter how thorough we are. Hopefully we will find what we want, and it will be a good one.

BAMA_57
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

Oh and kudos to you for not going into debt for a toy such as this. You'll be better off in the long run; I can promise you that!

Amen to that brother!
2002 27' Keystone Travel Trailer
2000 Ford F250 Superduty 7.3 turbo diesel six speed manual

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing I would ask the mobile RV service guy is,"Can you do a pressurized leak test?"
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
To me the most important thing would be to find something that has not leaked. After that the other components overall quality is a distant second thing to consider.
Oh and kudos to you for not going into dept for a toy such as this. You'll be better off in the long run; I can promise you that!

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
You will see more of one brand over others based your region. Expand your search you will see others. We spent over three months looking before we settled on the unit we now have. With winter coming, people tend to sell things when they do not use them. Use this time to educate yourself. Spend time here and other forums, take weekend outing to visit dealers and ask questions. Keep searching, you will find the perfect one for you. When you find it, let your guy check it out
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

BAMA_57
Explorer
Explorer
I think any of the major brands would be fine. The key will be how well they have been maintained. Make sure everything is in working order and there are NO water leaks. Take your time and there are plenty of good deals out there.
2002 27' Keystone Travel Trailer
2000 Ford F250 Superduty 7.3 turbo diesel six speed manual

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
fallsrider wrote:
If we find a unit we really like, we may hire him to give it a professional look see.

Very good idea! Good luck with your search.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."