cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Side mounted A/C - does the roof thingy serve any purpose?

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I have a 2013 Gulfstream Amerilite Ultralite 16BHC, and its AC is mounted on the wall and appears to be a regular low profile air conditioning unit. It's made by GE.

My question is: does the black roof vent thingy serve any purpose in this setup? I have no idea why it's even installed:

There doesn't appear to be any sort of drain line for the condensation, and often (on warmer humid trips) I find water spilling out from the bottom onto my bed! :S
2013 Gulfstream Amerilite 16BHC Travel Trailer pulled with a 2008 Ford Escape Limited
22 REPLIES 22

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what that cover is on top, also don't know what you mean by "regular low profile air conditioning unit". That is a window unit modified for side wall use. Does it look like this on the street side?

It probably should drain out the back of the unit which means down the outside wall.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
That looks like the refrigerator vent. Is the refrigerator in that corner of the trailer?

Hello,

No - the fridge is in the middle. Its vents are pictured in the middle as well.

Thanks!
2013 Gulfstream Amerilite 16BHC Travel Trailer pulled with a 2008 Ford Escape Limited

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
Gsragtop wrote:
The black box allows the unit to breathe, with out it the surrounding air would cause it to over heat.. Remember in a window application like the unit was designed for the entire back end would be exposed.

How does yours cool btw? I have a similar unit and the ac does not cool worth a darn..

Thanks

Ahhhh gotcha - that makes complete sense. Thanks!

It's an 8000 BTU and cools the entire camper great. It's just that condensation becomes an issue. There's a collection tray but there doesn't appear to be a drain line or anything - the moment we pack up and leave, hit a bump, the tray spills out onto our bed.

I'm trying to work on a solution to adding a drain line of some sort.

Gsragtop
Explorer
Explorer
Also with my unit I have to tilt the unit before towing to drain the AC condensation.. I don't get any drips while sitting, but once I start towing it will spill.. The tilting seems to help..
2015 Gulf Stream Conquest 198BH (our first TT)
2007 Kia Sedona Minivan (no laughing)

Gsragtop
Explorer
Explorer
The black box allows the unit to breathe, with out it the surrounding air would cause it to over heat.. Remember in a window application like the unit was designed for the entire back end would be exposed.

How does yours cool btw? I have a similar unit and the ac does not cool worth a darn..

Thanks
2015 Gulf Stream Conquest 198BH (our first TT)
2007 Kia Sedona Minivan (no laughing)

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
That looks like the refrigerator vent. Is the refrigerator in that corner of the trailer?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
That appears to be a "home brew" installed AC. I am not sure what black thing you are talking about. Tilting the AC unit down in the back will stop the water.

Hello,

It's not a "home brew" install. This sort of AC is common on smaller TT's made by Jayco and Gulfstream. Tilting is not an option, I do not believe.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
That appears to be a "home brew" installed AC. I am not sure what black thing you are talking about. Tilting the AC unit down in the back will stop the water.