cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleeping on a J-Steel Sofa

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
We are shopping for a new camper and like the layout of the Jayco Feather X23B. This model uses a 3 cushion J-Steel Sofa (found in many other Jayco campers) in the bump out as one of the beds. It appears from the pictures I can find, that you sleep across the 3 cushions. One person is up against the wall and "trapped" by the other person.

Has any one figured out a way to sleep the other way, using some custom cut foam to fill in the crack ? How short would you have to be to not have your feet hanging off the end this way ?
13 REPLIES 13

glsimms
Explorer
Explorer
We have an X23B and we don't have the bottoming issues some have stated.

Here is the simplest, least expensive way to fill the crack in the J-Steel sofaor any sofa bed:

You can find it at Bed & Bath for about $15 bucks.....

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/instant-king-twin-bed-bridge/1012184352

RandK-M
Explorer
Explorer
surfncamper wrote:
Chuck_S wrote:
The 900 pound cargo capacity is "on the road" capacity. Not camping capacity. Four folks, dogs, and other items can easily add 1000 pounds to the stationary camper without harm.

-- Chuck

Is that true? Because I can't see how a xxxx lb axle can hold more than xxxx lbs without becoming damaged, whether it's moving or not. It just seems that over weight is over weight. Not trying to be difficult here, truly want to know if that is the case.

Yup, absolutely true. I only have a small Jayco 17Z. I don't remember the cargo capacity off the top of my head, but it's only something like 400 lbs after the factory options. The weight is travel weight on the road. The forces of bouncing on bumps, etc are far greater than the cargo capacity.

Heck, I've had two feet of snow on the roof while parked in the winter. I have no idea what that weighed, but I would bet 1000 lbs or more.

Besides, like someone else mentioned, with the stabilizers and tongue jack down the weight on the axles will not increase by adding people to the trailer.
Jayco 17Z
Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Prodigy P2
Equal-i-zer Hitch
US Navy Veteran

aepowell
Explorer
Explorer
We put an egg shell foam cushan on our sofa when our grands sleep on it. I'm 5-9 175 lbs and sleep really good on the sofa.
Anthony & Margie Powell
Sherman,Tx.
2001 Jayco Kiwi 23B
2013 Ram Slt Lonestar(yea its got a HEMI)

aepowell
Explorer
Explorer
Your stabalizers take alot of weight of the axles when camping. Your camper wont be bouncing up and down like it does travaling down the road.
Anthony & Margie Powell
Sherman,Tx.
2001 Jayco Kiwi 23B
2013 Ram Slt Lonestar(yea its got a HEMI)

surfncamper
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_S wrote:
The 900 pound cargo capacity is "on the road" capacity. Not camping capacity. Four folks, dogs, and other items can easily add 1000 pounds to the stationary camper without harm.

-- Chuck

Is that true? Because I can't see how a xxxx lb axle can hold more than xxxx lbs without becoming damaged, whether it's moving or not. It just seems that over weight is over weight. Not trying to be difficult here, truly want to know if that is the case.
Rick and Deb
Andy,Sam ,Wes and Danny
Jayco 23B
07 Expedition EL Eddie Bauer
:B
From Florida to Maine so far.....

jpetrey
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
We are shopping for a new camper and like the layout of the Jayco Feather X23B. This model uses a 3 cushion J-Steel Sofa (found in many other Jayco campers) in the bump out as one of the beds. It appears from the pictures I can find, that you sleep across the 3 cushions. One person is up against the wall and "trapped" by the other person.

Has any one figured out a way to sleep the other way, using some custom cut foam to fill in the crack ? How short would you have to be to not have your feet hanging off the end this way ?

Only one adult would sleep comfortably on the sofa. Two can snuggle on the dinette.

We are very happy with our X23B. Dumping has not been a problem nor have I dragged the bottom yet and have been in pretty steep driveways at gas stations and campgrounds.
2015 Heartland Prowler LX285
2013 Dodge Ram 1500

tailgater
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the issue of being "trapped" is any more (or any less) than sleeping in the fold out bunk. Nature of the beast.
The width of the couch (at least mine, which is a 2002) requires that the 2 people be fairly intimate or otherwise familiar. In other words, we only sleep one person there, although the lengthwise crack from the fold would be a good dividing line when sleeping 2.
I don't think you could sleep the "other" way, unless we're talking kids.

tailgater
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
Jayco 23b has horrible ground clearance and dismal sub 900lb payload. Slanted driveway and it drags, horrible dump valve height, or overload it with full tanks.

Hmmm. I've read the quote three times now and I STILL can't figure out how this addresses the couch crack issue...

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

surfncamper
Explorer
Explorer
Our 23b is heading into its 10th year and
we are going to replace it in the spring . It has served us well but we are going with a rockwood
Roo for the reasons above, the moat pressing being the low Payload in the Jaycos, I am sure we have been over weight in the trailer when on the road and definately while camped ( a few hundred pounds of gear and food plus a few
hundred pounds of people will quick top the 900 pounds ). They are well made but I think the company's drive to achieve "lightweight"has led to a serious shortcoming.
Rick and Deb
Andy,Sam ,Wes and Danny
Jayco 23B
07 Expedition EL Eddie Bauer
:B
From Florida to Maine so far.....

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco 23b has horrible ground clearance and dismal sub 900lb payload. Slanted driveway and it drags, horrible dump valve height, or overload it with full tanks.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Think anyone over 50" tall might have at least part of the legs hanging over if laying the other way!! Might want to measure to see how wide the couch is, then figure a couple of inches less.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
WE use an air mattress to put over our couch. Does away with all the cracks in the pillows and adds a layer of comfort. Depending on the size of the couch a full or queen sized might work for you.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!