cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slide out question & water heater holding tank question

akacliph
Explorer
Explorer
New to travel trailer life and have a few questions- How long is it acceptable to leave the slide out in the out position and is this even an issue at all? During storage, how long is too long if at all? I've already been informed on silicone spray for lubricating the gears as opposed to grease 🙂

Question #2, when flushing the pluming system I was draining the water heater tank and a small black fitting came shooting out. Dealer was somewhat unsure what it was even with pic sent, said more than likely a bypass from inside tank that may cause hot water to sputter if not attached. I noticed no air pockets or sputtering during somewhat heavy use 2 nights ago. Ideas?

Thanks in advance! 1st trailer- Keystone Hideout- 26BHSWE.
5 REPLIES 5

akacliph
Explorer
Explorer
It is new and this happened the day before the first "test everything close to home" trip that actually went great despite this mystery piece. I'm kinda pissed that I can't find this thing on any parts diagram anywhere. I just emailed Suburban, taking it to the next level with the dealer is next who happens to be in another state, yes, the 350 mile drive was worth it 🙂

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
akacliph wrote:
Water was very hot and plentiful... It does look like one of those dip tubes... Hmm, is this an issue? seems like a lot of work to replace/re-fit without an actual problem.

Probably the hot outlet dip tube......with it off the water level will not be as high in tank before flowing thru outlet.
Lower level....less overall capacity, how much???????

IF that is a new unit I would at least file a warranty claim for documentation.
It is a design feature that has a valid reason for being used.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

akacliph
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Slide out in or out.......no problem

Water heater.......that sounds like a 'dip tube' has blown off.
Dip tubes direct the flow of incoming water to bottom area of tank.
Don't know that they are replaceable in RV type water heaters...some are in residential

Curved tubes at inlet and outlet are 'dip tubes'

Without dip tube.......cold water (instead of being directed to bottom of tank) will mix with hot and cause lack of hot water.....either hot will not last very long or water will only be warm.

ON EDIT:
I see you posted a picture
That is a dip tube
That also looks like a brand new unit (Suburban)....new trailer
Have dealer replace water heater under warranty.
And if dealer doesn't know what that part is, what it does then dealer is NOT the one to talk you into forgetting about it. Have dealer contact Suburban Rep.

Thank you!

akacliph
Explorer
Explorer
Water was very hot and plentiful... It does look like one of those dip tubes... Hmm, is this an issue? seems like a lot of work to replace/re-fit without an actual problem.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slide out in or out.......no problem

Water heater.......that sounds like a 'dip tube' has blown off.
Dip tubes direct the flow of incoming water to bottom area of tank.
Don't know that they are replaceable in RV type water heaters...some are in residential

Curved tubes at inlet and outlet are 'dip tubes'

Without dip tube.......cold water (instead of being directed to bottom of tank) will mix with hot and cause lack of hot water.....either hot will not last very long or water will only be warm.

ON EDIT:
I see you posted a picture
That is a dip tube
That also looks like a brand new unit (Suburban)....new trailer
Have dealer replace water heater under warranty.
And if dealer doesn't know what that part is, what it does then dealer is NOT the one to talk you into forgetting about it. Have dealer contact Suburban Rep.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31