cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small bunkhouses with slide?

kincade
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking to switch it up and get out of our Hybrid TT... We are looking for smaller bunkhouses with the following requirements:

-queen bed accessible from both sides.
-2-3 bunks
-decent size slideout to give some floorspace
-some counter space for kitchen prep

We really liked the Lance 2185 but it's too long for our pad at 25'. The ideal trailer would be very similar but a bit shorter.

Any tips you could give us would be greatly appreciated.
39 REPLIES 39

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
rider997 wrote:
kincade wrote:

Out of curiosity, where did you find them used? I've looked all over hardly ever see a used Lance trailer, let alone this model.

rvtrader.com, a local Camping World, and two local Lance dealers (I saw the trailers at the dealers in person). Each dealer said it was "rare" to get one that new in that good of condition, but considering I saw THREE of them in a two month span, it can't be that tremendously rare.

It was very tempting to pick one up, but the previously mentioned considerations just didn't allow for it.

http://roseburg.craigslist.org/rvs/4289330851.html

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/rvs/4278691939.html

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/rvs/4334570270.html
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

rider997
Explorer
Explorer
kincade wrote:

Out of curiosity, where did you find them used? I've looked all over hardly ever see a used Lance trailer, let alone this model.

rvtrader.com, a local Camping World, and two local Lance dealers (I saw the trailers at the dealers in person). Each dealer said it was "rare" to get one that new in that good of condition, but considering I saw THREE of them in a two month span, it can't be that tremendously rare.

It was very tempting to pick one up, but the previously mentioned considerations just didn't allow for it.

kincade
Explorer
Explorer
rider997 wrote:
kincade wrote:
My wife and I are looking to switch it up and get out of our Hybrid TT... We are looking for smaller bunkhouses with the following requirements:

-2-3 bunks

We really liked the Lance 2185 but it's too long for our pad at 25'. The ideal trailer would be very similar but a bit shorter.

I don't know if you are possibly in the market for a used trailer, but over the past few months, I've seen several used 2013 Lance 2185s, absolutely like new, going for under $20k.

As far as Lance pricing, it appears that the closer you get to the factory in Lancaster, CA, the lower the price, and not just due to transportation costs either. I'm not sure why. When I was looking at that exact trailer, I found some dealers in UT and OR with new 2013s on the lot and about $12k advertised off of MSRP (the 2014s were just shipping).

So, a bit of patience might be the ticket if you're looking for good buys on this model since it's still in production.

I didn't opt for that model, although it's very light, because it has relatively poor ground clearance and was too long for the remote types of campsites we tend to visit.

mrp116
Explorer
Explorer
The model number should reflect the box length. Ours is a Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH. The exterior length is 31' 11". I am sure that the Ultra Lite 2501SS will be a 25' box.

rider997
Explorer
Explorer
kincade wrote:

-2-3 bunks

I don't know if you are possibly in the market for a used trailer, but over the past few months, I've seen several used 2013 Lance 2185s, absolutely like new, going for under $20k.

As far as Lance pricing, it appears that the closer you get to the factory in Lancaster, CA, the lower the price, and not just due to transportation costs either. I'm not sure why. When I was looking at that exact trailer, I found some dealers in UT and OR with new 2013s on the lot and about $12k advertised off of MSRP (the 2014s were just shipping).

So, a bit of patience might be the ticket if you're looking for good buys on this model since it's still in production.

I didn't opt for that model, although it's very light, because it has relatively poor ground clearance and was too long for the remote types of campsites we tend to visit.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
tragusa3 wrote:
So the Ultra-Lite-2501SS is actually a 22-23' box. Thanks for the info.

At first, I thought the model numbers often reflected total length. Check the specs to be sure. For example, my Camplite 21BHS is 24 feet long, but the box length is 21'. In that case, the model number reflects the box length, not the total length.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
So the Ultra-Lite-2501SS is actually a 22-23' box. Thanks for the info.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

mrp116
Explorer
Explorer
Exterior length usually includes the length from hitch to bumper. That's why you will usually notice an overall length that is 3-4' longer than the box length. For example, our 28' camper has an exterior length that is 32' 11" long.

Gus1
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rvwholesalers.com/new-rvs/124942262011529/New-Rockwood-Ultra-Lite-2501SS-Travel-Trailer-R...Try this 26ft. 1in. I have one.

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/new-rvs/124942262011529/New-Rockwood-Ultra-Lite-2501SS-Travel-Trailer-RV-For-Sale/

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm shopping for the same. The Rockwood is nice, but at 26'.

The best option for me at this time seems to be the one's with a rear slide king (hard).

When manufacturers give the exterior length, are they giving bumper to ball? or the box itself. That makes a difference to me. I can go a tad longer if the ball sticks out from under the carport.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

rvhippo
Explorer
Explorer
kincade wrote:

Do any of you know of other trailers similar to the lance 2185?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Rockwood Mini Lite 2504s is almost identical. Much cheaper. Seen some selling new for under $18,000.

kincade
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thanks for all the great posts! That 2013 Lance in Vermontville NY looks nice, too bad it's on the other side of the country!

I'll check out all the trailers posted, thanks again for all the useful ideas. Looks like there are a few more options than I had found.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
kincade wrote:

-2-3 bunks

This is only 2' longer than your Rockwood 21SS but it's hard-sided and a better brand IMO. I bought from House of Camping as well. Had nothing but problems with my Rockwood and their service people were incompetent. They did have a great sales department, just wish their service department was half as good. I wouldn't buy from them anymore strictly based on their poor service department, but see you live out of state and probably never experienced it.

JAYCO JAY FEATHER FLOORPLAN X213
Weights:

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 3,955
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 330
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 5,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 1,545

Measurements:

Exterior Length 24'
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height with A/C 120"
Interior Height 78"
Front Bunk Beds 38 x 74
Rear Bunk 72 x 74
J-Steel Convertible Sofa 42 x 72
Wheel Base 191-1/2"

Tank Capacities:

Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater 48
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 30.5
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 22.5

Other:

Sleeping Capacity 6-8

If I was space and tow vehicle limited, this is the trailer I'd look at. Since I have the room and tow vehicle, I could go with a better stick and tin build quality and a larger floorplan that didn't require the slide out. Everything has trade offs, but for what it is, this is a very nice looking camper.

Here's another that I would recommend for a smaller size but it only has 1 bunk but the dinette could be made to sleep another.

JAYCO JAY FLIGHT FLOORPLAN 19RD

Weights:

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 3,785
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 430
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 6,200
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,415

Measurements:

Exterior Length 23' 1"
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height with A/C 127"
Interior Height 81"
Queen Bed 60 x 74
Bunk Bed (Optional) 30 x 76
J-Steel Convertible Sofa 42 x 60
Wheel Base 183-7/8"

Tank Capacities:

Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater 90
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 32.5
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 32.5

Other:

Sleeping Capacity 4-7

To get that same footprint of your Roo 21SS of 21.5', you're not going to do much better than the below.

JAYCO JAY FEATHER FLOORPLAN 197

Weights:

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) (estimate) 3,610
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) (estimate) 620
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 4,750
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) (estimate) 1,140

Measurements:

Exterior Length 21' 2"
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height with A/C 123"
Interior Height 78"
Queen Bed 60 x 81
Bunk Bed (Optional) 30 x 81
Wheel Base 167-15/16"

Tank Capacities:

Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater 28.5
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 30.5
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 22.5

Other:

Sleeping Capacity 3-5
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco Whitehawk 23MBH

Jayco JayFlight Swift 234MBH

By the way Lance's 2185 is over 25'...so I don't how much flexibility you have on the length. Both Jayco's I mention are 26'-27', but really that's pretty compact for a non-hybrid bunkhouse with 5+ beds

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Try here.

http://www.trailerhitchrv.com/inventory/307640/New-2014-Lance-Lance-Travel-Trailers-2185.aspx

or maybe

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2013-Lance-2185-110763863
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander