cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small observation

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
This past weekend went camping about an hour from the house with a good friend and his family. Well he got called into work so I towed my trailer home then went back and picked his up. I have the Equalizer E2 hitch and he has a torsion bar with chains type hitch. It is older. I do not believe it has sway control. He dosen't have the seperate sway bar, and I don't think that type of hitch provides sway control with out the friction type bar. Not sure it was the first time I used that type of hitch.

Anyway on to my point. I have a 2012 32 foot Passport. He has a 2010 29 foot Jayco. His trailer is about 1000 lbs more dry. I couldn't tell you loaded but he has ALOT more stuff in his trailer... 🙂

Used his hitch not setup for my truck. I couldn't tell the difference, except that his trailer bounches a bit more as it has heavier axles and larger tires. I suppose it could also be because I have the spread out axles on my Passport and his Jayco does not.

Got me to thinking that having a long wheel maybe the reason things tow so easily.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.
2 REPLIES 2

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doug33 wrote:
My axles are spread much more than my previous TT, and it tows so much smoother.

People have told me that before. My previous trailer was a small 5th wheel. I haven't really noticed too much of a difference with the three trailers I have towed with this truck after the 5th wheel. So maybe the spread out axles are the difference. My Passport has the same spacing as yours.

I have towed the Passport, the Jayco and a Dutchmen all over 28 feet all between 7400 and 9000 lbs.

I did notice a difference when I had to pick up my BIL's 5th when he lost O.D. in his old truck (NV4500 5 speed) It was a heavy bugger just shy of 13000 loaded.

I have never had a sway problem. That was my main concern with the Jayco and no sway control, but it just didn't seem to matter.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
My axles are spread much more than my previous TT, and it tows so much smoother.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?