cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small, portable wood stove for tent....or camper?

FreebirdFlies
Explorer
Explorer
Wood stoves in campers was talked about w photos some where. Doesn't it deserve its own thread?
Here is an interesting option.....

http://www.offgridquest.com/camping/portable-woodstove-folds-down-heats-up-t
16 REPLIES 16

TomP40
Explorer
Explorer
They have a wood stove also for 599 dollars
2007 F-350 4X4 SB Lariat 6.0 Powerstroke, bullet proof upgrades-EGR, remote oil cooler, stand pipes &dummy plugs, blue spring, water pump, STC fitting...
1997 Lance Squire 3000-My first Truck Camper

TomP40
Explorer
Explorer
Check this out.
From Dickson Marine.
http://dickinsonmarine.com/product_cat/diesel-heaters/
2007 F-350 4X4 SB Lariat 6.0 Powerstroke, bullet proof upgrades-EGR, remote oil cooler, stand pipes &dummy plugs, blue spring, water pump, STC fitting...
1997 Lance Squire 3000-My first Truck Camper

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
Stars101 wrote:

The "Sardine" stove from Navigator Stove Works

12"x12"x11" 35 lbs.

I looked at these for mine Franklin project after the small wood stove I had already got broke there was a long waiting list and they are expensive nice little stoves though
1999 F550 truck conversion

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
The beauty of that $4,000 Kimberley stove is that it requires NO ventilation from inside the RV as it uses OUTSIDE air for combustion.

The stove draws NO air from inside the RV to facilitate combustion. The air intake into the stove comes through a 2-inch hole drilled through the floor of the RV to the outside air through which a tube is snaked through that hole to several inches below the floor up into the bottom of the stove itself. All installed with proper sealants, etc.

The stove has it's OUTSIDE air intake at the bottom of the stove via a tube placed into the floor hole to the outside. Thus, there is no need to be concerned about CO2 poisoning, etc. A completely closed system. Gotta love it!

If the intake hole is somehow blocked by debris,etc., combustion ceases and the fire goes out. like virtually immediately.
(Pssst...Keep a CO2 detector onboard anyway) ๐Ÿ˜‰

A couple of youtube videos show how it's installed and used in an RV and in a sailboat.
Ray

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer

The "Sardine" stove from Navigator Stove Works

12"x12"x11" 35 lbs.

frozenoem
Explorer
Explorer
Finally reached the sheepcamps for their stove info, and another question theirs is heavy and $2000 shipping would be big bucks.

The Kimberly weighs 50 lbs., not an issue for a truck camper. THe clearances also make it do able even on a TC or RV/Trailer.

They do make others and I've looked at even the tiny home/boat type Newport gas stoves. Reason I've used my Furnace in Lance and it sucked the power down, the blowers are a hog and a half.

Meanwhile the Newports sipped at the the power they use a 12V computer sized fan to move the air about. And can be installed pretty much in anything - minimal clearance, not requiring external air.

Still looking for the ideal live in 4x4 on my next buy/build.
Yes, I know $4000 is pricey for a cook/heat stove but, you need relatively zero clearance in a camper/RV trailer. I know I've seen others but, drawing a blank on names.

There are many stoves for tents, anyone thats every camped old school can attest to that. Military or Mega sports type stores that sell canvas tent. Or stovess for through hikers - in $200 range but, in an rv - uh uh.
'99 Dodge Diesel QC SB SRW 4X4 BioDiesel 26 mpg / 22mpg fossil diesel with or w/o camper
'03 Lance Lite 815 ext.cab
64W Solar Panel, Elec. Jacks, Happi-Jacks,Air-lifts,Oven,etc.
53 lb. Dutch Shepherd (bullock cruncher) K9 Retired.
Wife and semi human OEM

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
FreebirdFlies wrote:
Wood stoves in campers was talked about w photos some where. Doesn't it deserve its own thread?

Maybe, but not in the Truck Camper forum. It seems to be more of a home built kind of solution since the campers have a lot of materials that could be damaged by fire/heat.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
That radiator idea is awesome!

I knew someone who had a a tiny antique stove, built for coal but she burned wood in it, in a houseboat.

For modern stoves:

http://kk.org/cooltools/extremely-tiny-1/

http://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/collections/all

http://www.tinywoodstove.com/store/

Very broad price range!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
You might find this helpful.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
You might search boating wood stoves.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
The Kimberly wood stove would be my personal choice if I had the cassh. View the video of an installation of said stove in a class c camper. One's also installed on a boat. Another in a cabin to generate heat and electricity.

Draws OUTSIDE air into the firebox via a hole drilled through the camper floor. Thus, no danger of losing breathable interior air for combustion. Carbon monoxide-free operation with the outside air feeding the firebox.

Stove had secondary combustion in the upper honeycomb chamber to burn up excess smoke and fumes.

And the small clearances on the rear and sides are a great space saver in the camper.

Kinda big $$$ though. Upwards of $4K with pipes, etc.

The website is "www.unforgettablefirellc.com".
Ray

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
amazon shows several stoves

frozenoem
Explorer
Explorer
Actually I've been scouring the internet for such a beast, woodstove for camper. Have found two candidates but, only can find a name on one of them.
Kimberly stove - Youtube, Justin Credible user its in a Class C Motorhome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trAEEoFMYKY

The other was in a trailer, factory installed by sheepcamps.com. That one I don't have a name of stove maker, I think I'm calling the manufacturer of the trailer.

Had a old 1920 logging camp (fixed in place) with a wood stove, next to the propane stove with no issues (in 40 years), and since I started aging my broken 3 places back has been screaming for wood heat.

The Kimberly is a gasification (dbl. burn stove) relatively zero clearance 6-8", and goes right out thru his ceiling in the C, using a 3" pellet stove pipe. They're used on boats and other RV's, and it takes firewood not pellets.
'99 Dodge Diesel QC SB SRW 4X4 BioDiesel 26 mpg / 22mpg fossil diesel with or w/o camper
'03 Lance Lite 815 ext.cab
64W Solar Panel, Elec. Jacks, Happi-Jacks,Air-lifts,Oven,etc.
53 lb. Dutch Shepherd (bullock cruncher) K9 Retired.
Wife and semi human OEM

FreebirdFlies
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, kickstart is iffy, but I thought the concept/idea would stimulate worthwhile conversation.
RoyB just made the thread worthwhile all by himself. ๐Ÿ™‚
There are other little wood stoves out there that people here might know about, or better yet have experience with......

Keep listening.