cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Trailer Family of 5(Lance Disqualified ThemselvesRant)

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
When they got rid of the tent option on the 1575 trailer. After looking far and wide I had decided to order a 2015 Lance 1575 with tent option only to find out they discontinued the option.:(

I could have overlooked the fact that Lance is catering too much to the minivan crowd and skimped on the build (single axle, low cargo rating etc.) My ideal trailer would be the 1685 with rear tent popout.

The 1575 was unique in that it offered a large enough dinette slide out to provide enough space for a family of 5, and with the tent option, the sleeping accommodations with the ability to sleep all 5 inside if need be on occasion.

Without the tent option, I don't know why anyone, besides weight, would not go for the 1685 with the better storage/bathroom/cargo capacity etc. for not much more length.

IMO the 1575 without tent option is a waste....unless u drive a minivan.;) And all the 1575's equipped with the rear tent option seem to have sold out across the nation...

Thumbs down to Lance. Apex seems to have some intriguing options coming out for the new year, including the 185bhs and the 193bhs.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML
24 REPLIES 24

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Outback Terrain 230 TRS

Outback Terrain 210TRS
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, no, LisaD. That would make me look elsewhere. I love the big windows.

He wants one bed that's not in a tent pop-out.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about the 2015 Jay Feather SLX?

Has a smaller slideout than the 2013 Lance you like, and also has a front tent sleeper as well. Looks very nice - single axle too.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

LisaD
Explorer
Explorer
I've puzzled out a way to have the tent AND the window. LOL 😉

Oh and sadly Lance is now putting in smaller rear windows in the 1575. 😞 Seems to be the same windows that are used on the side of the front area by the bed.

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
The Lance 1575 is my favorite. My retirement is several years out, but it's a model I consider. I love my T@B and can't imagine parting with it, but for extended month trips, the Lance 1575 is at the top of my list. You said you couldn't imagine why anyone wouldn't want the 1685 if they couldn't get the tent option on the 1575. My reason is a back window is a must for me. I don't want to miss the scenery out the back, because most of my fav local places are a back-in site at a large COE lake.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

LisaD
Explorer
Explorer
G - Have you looked at all the Livin Lite options? They use the wonderful European windows and have tent options. They are very flexible also with tents, windows, and various options and will customize. They're very lite (all aluminum).

They're the only company I've found that offers a ONE tent option like Lance used to have.
I'm still unclear why companies feel a need to create 'hybrids' with 2-3 tents. It's like they can't get past adding a ton of tents. What's wrong with 'one' nice tent? IDK

http://www.livinlite.com

Grodyman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I still have my Ford F250 but sold my Lance 830 truck camper with popout tent option, now regretting it a little.

I would like to keep my next travel trailer at a max length of 24', less preferred. Any longer and I will probably go back to a 5th wheel.

I am looking at the new Apex 185bh or similar, and also the new Apex 193bh looks intriguing...still new and no photos as of yet on the web.

I'm personally not against a hybrid, but like someone posted, most have a dinette or sofa bed conversions, not a dedicated queen sized bed. I may have to do the mini bunkhouse option or eventually have two rv's like I did with my 830 truck camper and Sabre Silhouette 5th wheel. Problem was, I always wanted to take the camper and wife always wanted to take the 34' quad bunk 5th wheel....:B

For memories:

The acrylic dual paned windows are another feature we loved on the 830 and that the 1575 offers....Unfortunately, the lack of tent is a deal killer. IMO the 1685 is a superior version of the 1575 when you consider an adequate tow vehicle.

Gman
2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Profile shows a F-250 6.2L V-8 with 3.73's....so the truck can handle it.

Just throwing this out there as an option. I have a family of 5, three of which are growing boys and enough space for everybody is at a premium I have a highwall pop-up camper that has more space than the lance the OP is interested in, and we got crowded quickly when we were in Colorado for 10 days.

LisaD
Explorer
Explorer
The top offering is 4,400 pounds heavier and 12.5 feet longer

quite a category leap?

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
With a family of 5, would something like this be a potentially better option?

TimberRidge 270DBHS

Blackrock 26BHS

Both of these models have the larger bunk beds, and it appears that if you have the same truck, towing wouldn't be a issue.

LisaD
Explorer
Explorer
Grodyman - I hear every word you are saying. It was special and unlike anything else out there.

I would've ordered one on the spot with cash had I been told it was being discontinued. I've been in touch with my dealer on it and I was never informed and he claims he didn't know either. Lance claims they sent a memo to all dealers giving them 2 weeks notice to get any orders in.

Lance being flexible enough to make one? Lance is very 'not' flexible and I've been told this by many dealers. Was told they're one of the most if not 'the' most unflexible. Yes I've tried and am still waiting to hear back. It's been 2 months now and I still don't even know the part number for the kit. It seems to be a mystery.

The problem with the tent version is it was basically unadvertised for ages. It wasn't even listed in the build sheet and was almost a silent option. Nor was it in some brochures. Many people I've spoken with that were buying or had one on order didn't know there was a tent option.

Rexlion - finding one used is a problem given they hardly made any (because many didn't know it existed for a while!). Literally it wouldn't surprise me if only 10 were made to date.

Grodyman - I'll PM you with what I know. I've not given up yet.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Have you asked a dealer if Lance is flexible enough to build one for you, special order? Some companies (usually smaller ones) will do that. Might get lucky.

Otherwise, keep watching the used trailers for sale, one or two will come up for sale eventually if you can wait long enough.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
The Palomino 220X has one tent and one inside bed but it is much larger with 2 slides and thus heavier.

What about a small trailer with 1 queen bed and bunks instead of a tent bed?
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Majja13 wrote:
It looks to me like a fairly standard hybrid.

The Lance has one inside bed and one tent bed. Don't know of another Hybrid like that. All others have 2 tend beds and possibly sofa or bunk beds.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)