cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smaller bunk house trailer recommendations

Tahoesurfkid
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking to enter the travel trailer world.

We've been attracted to the 15-19 foot bunk house as we will be towing with a 4.6L Tundra with two young boys to stow in the bunks (not while driving;) )

I've seen floor plans for lots of manufactures:

Jayco
Forest River all the 18-19bh
Coleman 15bh
Coachman Clipper

The Coachman 17BH is a favorite due to its layout (small dinette, double bed, bunks x2, tub for said boys).

Any recommendations would be great. Mostly campsite camping in California mountains and coast. I'm trying to stay below 15K new and 10K used and I also worry about quality v. weight.

Cheers
40 REPLIES 40

skripo
Explorer
Explorer
The new Blue Ox Sway pro is the only way to go. Easy on, easy off, no grease mess.

Trust me, I had a Husky Center line with cams before.
2015 Fun Finder 242 BDS

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Need-A-Vacation wrote:
Congrats on the new rig!!!

As for a wd hitch, that trailer may not have a lot of tw, but going with a Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, or Equal-I-Zer 4 Way system can only help the tow experience. You probably would be fine with a side mounted friction sway control, but from what I understand it is highly suggested to remove it before backing up. The systems I mentioned have integrated sway control which do allow backing up. Blue Ox is a newer system that has a growing following. Anderson has a system that also has a following, but it isn't for higher tw trailer (you're fine there), and there is a couple different coupler styles it does not work with. So make sure you research it before buying....

Get a good brake controller, Tekonsha P2 or P3 I think it is.

Don't be afraid to practice with the new trailer in a large parking lot to learn the "quirks" of the new trailer if needed.

Some great suggestions. I'd like to add a recommendation for the Andersen Hitch. We are around 6,000 miles with that hitch and it works very well. We don't have a lot of tongue weight, but it works great for sway and bounce control. Very comfortable tow.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
We have a Camplite 21BHS and it's been excellent. It is very durable, lightweight, and a nice layout. Tows great with our Ram 1500. We've taken it in the mountains in Arizona and Utah; driving from Florida. We've had this trailer for a couple of years and it's been terrific so far.

Camplite 21BHS Link

EDIT: Sorry, just saw you found your trailer. Congratulations!

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Just be very careful of Rockwood. I dumped a 1 year old Rockwood camper to the fact it being in the shop more than not.

I'd check it with a fine tooth comb especially if it's used with no warranty.

Hope it all works out for you, congrats if it works out.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new rig!!!

As for a wd hitch, that trailer may not have a lot of tw, but going with a Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, or Equal-I-Zer 4 Way system can only help the tow experience. You probably would be fine with a side mounted friction sway control, but from what I understand it is highly suggested to remove it before backing up. The systems I mentioned have integrated sway control which do allow backing up. Blue Ox is a newer system that has a growing following. Anderson has a system that also has a following, but it isn't for higher tw trailer (you're fine there), and there is a couple different coupler styles it does not work with. So make sure you research it before buying....

Get a good brake controller, Tekonsha P2 or P3 I think it is.

Don't be afraid to practice with the new trailer in a large parking lot to learn the "quirks" of the new trailer if needed.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Tahoesurfkid
Explorer
Explorer
Update:
Thanks to everyone that replied. We think we found our TT. It s a Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 used for a good value. It's large enough for us, but comes in a lighter package (empty about 3500lbs).

My next questions are:

What do I need for my 2012 Tundra 5.7L tow vehicle in the California Sierra Mountains

Recommendations for distribution hitch?

Sway control: electric or sway bar?

Other useful towing tid bits?

Cheers

Airborn805
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 2015 Starcraft 19bhs, which only weighs 3800 dry. Very roomy with the bed slide and was the best trailer we could find that my Toyota Tacoma could tow. We are a family of four and it has plenty of storage. We paid $19,000 new
Sean

cooperrobt
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up purchasing a kz spree escape e196s. The smaller footprint allows us to store the trailer at home without the added expense of off site storage and is easily pulled with our Nissan Titan that we can use for hauling additional cargo. It has a slide with a nice dinette and bunk beds for when we have guests with us. We traveled with a pop up for twenty years and this is a nice setup for the wife and I and the bunks are used for guests or for storage while traveling.

Look around and take your time. Have some fun at it and you will find something that meets your own personal needs.

lil_camping_fam
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the previous post to go shopping. Just be sure that the unit has what you want. Things that we considered was: Single axle, shower, stationary main bed, bunks, microwave and digital TV hook ups.

We went to our local "end of year model" RV show (IX Center) and found just the right one we wanted. You never know what one is the right one. Shop around, used or new. If buying used, check for water damage, tire wear, brakes and if everything works!

For reference we have: 2014 Salem Cruise Lite 195BH

Remember you can always modify it to make it what you want!
Salem Cruise Lite 195BH- 2004 F-150 4x4 with weight distribution, sway control, and brake control.

Heather, Robby, Kaiden & Mingo(k9)

Uplander
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like everyone wants to put you in their Travel Trailer! They also seem inclined to spend your money on a new TT......I suggest you try places like Craigslist.com and look at lightly used units that work for your family, fit in your weight class and are easy on your budget. Bring the wife and kids on the shopping adventure! Gotta make everybody a Happy Camper!

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Tahoesurfkid wrote:
Well,
A little update. I just picked up a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L one owner for a really good deal. So my weight requirement has changed but my bunk house needs keep eating and getting bigger. It seems that used prices relax a bit without the need for and ultralight camper. I'd like to keep to 22' or 24' overall anyway.

Thanks everyone.

Now that you got a good size 1/2 ton truck, I'd suggest the Jayco Jay Flight 26BH. Bordline weight for a 1/2 ton but if you keep your bed load light and everyone in the cab isn't too heavy, you should be fine and not go over GVWR. I believe the Jay Flight slide models are a bit to heavy for your 1/2 ton and you'll likely go over GVWR with a family in the truck.

Love my Jayco Jay Flight 26BH. Trouble free and great build quality along with great luxury features for an inexpensive price.

Really love my 90 gallons of fresh water for the electric only State Parks and my very roomy 6'9" ceiling. One of the reasons I walked away from Amerilite superslide models was their claustrophobic low ceilings and narrow body widths. They looked built well if not a bit sparse on features, just to small inside for me.

I actually was going to go camping this week until we had about 3" of snow and temps back down in the 20s and 30s. Previous weeks were in the 50, 60, and 70s. Got to love that NW Indiana weather thanks to Lake Michigan. ๐Ÿ™‚

For the size and weight, I couldn't find any better than the 26BH. Even the Jay Flight shorter models offer limited bunk sleeping with a murphy bed that only saves 2' and takes away so much storage. Then the slide models are heavier than the 26BH which is more roomy and comfortable IMO.

Good luck, just make sure you go try out models first hand and pay attention to bunk sizes. My parents use the kids double bed when they join us. Even if you don't need a double bunk, make sure the single bunks are long enough and support enough weight for when the kids get into their teens. Many are only 70" with a very low 150 lbs weight limit. Kids don't stay small for long. ๐Ÿ™‚ For Reference my top single bunk is 76" long and supports 300 lbs.

BTW, I prefer Stick and Tin models. I've seen way to many Fiberglass laminated trailers delaminate from glue failure (even on the dealers lot) to ever consider one unless the price was dirt cheap. There's many brands that offer more reliable stick and tin trailers in every weight and size you could want.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

skripo
Explorer
Explorer
You really can't beat the Fun Finder 24BDS. Nicest trailer we saw, and we saw lots.
2015 Fun Finder 242 BDS

heckufaguy
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Not a 22 to 24 foot but you might want to check out Wildwood 26bhss. With the large deep slide it gives you a lot of room for a rainy day. The Salem 26bhss is the same trailer. It might be larger then you want.

We had a 20 footer (dinette slide, no bunks). We just recently bought a 259BH from Gulfstream. Very simliar to the wildwood mentioned, and the floor space is incredible. That, and you can access the bathroom, really every thing, with it slid in.

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
we had a jayco 184bh. no problems, good quality. about $11,000