cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spray oil underneath truck

akronharry
Explorer
Explorer
Want to spray the bottom of my 2005 Ford with motor oil. I have a gravel drive and keeping my truck on it is not great and it is beginning to get surface rust. Can I use 5w30 through my garden sprayer. SHould I heat it up first?
ANyone ever do this? Thanks in advacne.
39 REPLIES 39

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
akronharry wrote:
Want to spray the bottom of my 2005 Ford with motor oil. I have a gravel drive and keeping my truck on it is not great and it is beginning to get surface rust. Can I use 5w30 through my garden sprayer. SHould I heat it up first?
ANyone ever do this? Thanks in advacne.

Glad I won't get stuck behind you in a rain storm.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
That oil is going to make your problem worse IMO.
Try something like this.
LINK
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
Since that truck is already 8 years old, you don't have much un-rusted bare metal under there. Any oil sprayed underneath will either coat the already-dirty parts and not do any good (and will just attract more dirt), or coat the already oxidized/rusty parts and not do any good. Petroleum products that come in contact with rubber parts will do harm. That would include the short brake hoses near the calipers, the short fuel line connector at the gas tank, exhaust hangers, etc.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

FarmerBob
Explorer
Explorer
I use Fluid Film on all my trucks and farm equipment. Like it much better than the oil/fuel mix.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
Rubberized vehicle undercoating will be cleaner to apply and will last longer. It also suppresses the noise from gravel hitting the underbody.

Around here, using oil outside for anything (including dust control or rust-proofing) would be a good way to get get fined by the DEQ. And oil sheens make it easy to find an offender.

^^^^^^ This.

Bondo makes a great rubberized undercoating. I have used it before and it goes on really nice.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
we used to use diesel on the underbellies of the plow trucks, a little went a long way. Rubberized coatings are great if they completely seal, otherwise they just hid the rust.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

akronharry
Explorer
Explorer
Not too worried about regulatory agencies. Just want to know if it works.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Rubberized vehicle undercoating will be cleaner to apply and will last longer. It also suppresses the noise from gravel hitting the underbody.

Around here, using oil outside for anything (including dust control or rust-proofing) would be a good way to get get fined by the DEQ. And oil sheens make it easy to find an offender.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't do it, you will only attract dust/dirty which in turn will attract moisture, then more dirt etc. Every veh will get rust on the frame even those that have never seen dirt roads

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
If it is bare metal, up North, I would get it "Zebart" undercoating. Spraying oil will just creat an EPA issue.