Spree Escape e16RBT (or e18RBT)

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone.

Thinking about upgrading from a tent trailer (Pop-up) to a HTT,
I wish to get a very light unit, 2800lb (dry) or under per say
(like the e16RBT or e18RBT)

Anyone here own a Spree Escape HTT models that can share his experience?

1. Is 300lb weight difference between e16RBT and e18RBT matter? (I like the e18RBT better)
1. Towing and handling, can a V6 handle a small HTT at 2hour drive in the Canadian prairies? (I do have a F150, but that vehicle is not always available)
2. Aerodynamics? (most HTT shape like a box!) how does it feel towing it?
2. Build quality?
4. is the "Spree Escape" better then his sister "Sportsmen Classic"?

Thanks.
A Girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon +
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH + Andersen No Sway WDH
7 REPLIES 7

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
16ft model only had 400lb CCC, probably much less.
18ft model had 800lb CCC, doable but probably will kill the JKU Rubi 3.8 liter dog.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
Great! We have a toyota tacoma V6 with a 6500lb capacity. We tow a 16RBT. The 18RBT would be better for four people, but we are just two people and two or three dogs for now (kids off in college). The Tacoma can tow the trailer at 100KPH just great. At teh campgound this weekend there were many pop-ups, and we were next to one tat was just like yours, if a bit older. His did not have a bathroom - sink only. Same as yours?. You seem to have a heater and fridge, etc. Here is a pic of our unit from yesterday at Lost River in the NH White Mountains (http://imgur.com/MuLmCEb)

Edit: there was a Jayfeather at the campround near us like the one in your link...VERY nice camper. I like the dual axles.

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
JimNH wrote:
Just realized that OP's post is from last summer. Is OP still active? what did she get I wonder?

Yes, I am still active, and read this forum every morning with a nice hot cup of coffee 🙂
RV is my passion.

In the past I thought that my Jeep can tow a light HTT, and that is why I was looking at this models, luckily (thanks to this forum) I come to realize the 3500lb tow rating is NOT suitable for ANY Travel Trailer (Hybrid or not), it is not just about the weight, it also about wind resistance and tongue wight

I really don't want to sell my beloved Jeep for a pickup truck just so I can tow a bigger Trailer 4 time a year...
So, for the time been, I will hold on to my pop-up, which is the best "RV" that fit my vehicle.

In the future I might need a second vehicle, and when that day will come I will probably get 1/2 ton pickup truck, and trade my small pop-up for a light 21-23 foot HTT, like the Jyaco X20E.
(Short RV that can accommodate a family of 4 comfortably when Turtling)

Here is my current set-up:
2010 Wrangler Unlimited (4dr) Rubicon + 2008 Rockwood 1910 (pop-up)
1000lb Air lift (without WDH) = simple setup and tow like a dream

A Girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon +
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH + Andersen No Sway WDH

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
Just realized that OP's post is from last summer. Is OP still active? what did she get I wonder?

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
we just got a 16 RBT with hybrid bunks in front and rear. I don't see any substantive reason to go with the pricier Spree model...better upholstery options is the biggest feature I think. So far, we are just getting to know it, but everything seems solid and works. Our first real trip is in two weeks, though. the tanks are small, and there is limited storage, so if you are camping for more than a weekend or a week, it might be a limiting factor. Perfect for us though, enough room for dogs and grown kids, but mostly weekend camping in the summer, or camping in my in-law's driveway at their lake house.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
In flatlands, the V6 will pull it fine at 100 kph. Headwinds will make you slow down some, though. Between the two, the 18 has about 60 lb more hitch weight; by the time you are loaded up, it could easily be 450-500 lb. If you have a 3500/350 rating, I think neither one of these is for you unless you have a custom hitch receiver built. What is your tow vehicle?

The 18 has twice the fresh water capacity of the 16. My Escape 14RB (sold recently after owning for 3 years) had 10 gallons and it only lasted me 3 days traveling solo... that's with me drinking bottled water from the fridge, not the tap. 10 gallons is nothing. And what's worse, the last gallon or so will *not* drain out of the tank because of the drain line location not being at the very bottom of the tank (well, maybe it would have drained if I had jacked the front end way up!). So between the two, yes the 18 looks better. 300 lb of towed weight really doesn't matter at all.

My 14RB needed a roof re-seal at a little over 3 years. Those roofs need to be inspected regularly.

Escape vs Sportsmen is a matter of personal preference. Gelcoat won't ding up like aluminum (mine was in a minor sideswipe, did $2k of damage to the pickup next to me but $100 damage to the trailer). But gelcoat can delaminate if water intrudes.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

bud121156
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 12 ft pop up with two king size beds, for seven years. We traded it for a 16RBT Sportsmen Classic, with one full size bunk in the back. Had it for 3 months, and one trip......hated it. Missed the second bunk badly. Towed with a Ford Escape. Traded it for a 25 ft TT, and bought a Silverado truck.
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express Bunkhouse
2017 F-150