cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Global Ford Ranger trying to dethrone Toyota Hilux

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Going to be interesting Hilux is the top Global Pickup, new Model has been released 2.3 million Global Pickups were sold last year

FORD'S range-topping Ranger Wildtrak will set a new safety standard for the one-tonne ute segment when it arrives in the third quarter, with a raft of driver assistance equipment not yet seen in its class.

While recent advances in active cruise control and lane-departure monitoring technology have found their way into passenger vehicles in recent years, the safety systems have not been applied to any models in the Australian light-commercial class, until now.

Sitting at the top of Ford's popular Ranger line-up, the pumped-up Wildtrak will bring a selection of off-road performance-enhancing gear, extra aesthetic tweaks as well as adaptive cruise control, forward collision alert, lane-keep assistance and a driver impairment monitor.

With the potentially lifesaving features, Ford's flagship Ranger Wildtrak out-guns the safety standards of its key rivals, including the just launched Nissan Navara and Mitsubishi Triton, as well as the Mazda BT50, Holden Colorado and even the high-specced Volkswagen Amarok.

Toyota's segment-dominating HiLux will touch down on Australian dirt shortly after the Ranger's third quarter launch, but no mention has been made of any similar safety and driver-assistance equipment for Toyota's new-gen pick-up either.

Ford has not yet outlined the rest of the Ranger line-up but details are expected to be made official soon, along with a concrete release date and pricing. At this stage, a September launch is looking most likely.

The Blue Oval was unable to confirm if the safety equipment would be included in any other Ranger variants, but Ford Australia brand communications manager Neil McDonald told GoAuto the top tech is traditionally seen in the highest-spec cars initially.

โ€œIt's probably a bit early to say but customarily that sort of technology comes in at the high-end first,โ€ he said. โ€œIt's probably a bit early to see where it's going to be available in the rest of the range.

If the Ranger evolves with a similar progression to other lines, the autonomous braking and other safety equipment is likely to be offered in lesser variants later in the model's lifecycle.

The Wildtrak's lane-keeping assistant can alert the driver if the vehicle unintentionally wanders out of a lane and if the warning is ignored, the system can provide steering correction to maintain the vehicle's course.

Adaptive cruise control uses forward facing sensors to maintain a set distance from a leading vehicle even if its speed fluctuates, while the same technology can provide a warning and primes the brakes if a nose-to-tail collision is imminent.

A driver-impairment monitor also uses the forward-facing camera to detect signs of driver drowsiness along with steering behaviour monitoring, and issues an audible warning if fatigue is sensed.

The Wildtrak is also equipped with more commonplace safety systems such as all-round parking radar with reversing camera, tyre-pressure monitoring, ESC with roll-over mitigation and emergency assistance via Ford's Sync2 system.

In addition to the significant boost in safety tech, the Wildtrak gets unique 18-inch alloy wheels, and tougher-looking exterior treatments including a dark โ€œliquid metallicโ€ grey grille with accentuated โ€œnostrilsโ€, with the unique colouring repeated on door mirrors and handles, side vents, bed rails and tail-lights.

Wide side steps, roof rails and a special smoked roll-over bar are also standard fare on the Wildtrak, while the Pride Orange paintwork and nameplate emblazoned on the front doors sets it apart from other Rangers.

The top-spec version will also be available dressed-up in Cool White, Black Mica, Metropolitan Grey and Aluminium.

A dusting of unique features continues on the inside with more smoky trims to match the exterior, two-tone orange upholstery with matching stitching, while the driver's seat is adjustable in eight ways.

The Sync2 information and entertainment is accessible through the 8.0-inch touchscreen or through recently revised, simpler voice commands. More natural spoken instructions can be used to control cabin temperature, entertainment sources and navigation functions.

Like the previous-generation Ranger Wildtrak, the new version is also powered by Ford's 3.2-litre Duratorq five-cylinder diesel engine, which pumps 147kW and 470Nm of torque through a six-speed automatic transmission, to just the rear wheels or all four corners at the flick of a switch.

Power is unchanged over the previous model but exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) development has cut fuel consumption by 18 per cent says Ford, while electric power steering has lopped another three per cent off fuel use.

Ford is yet to release performance figures but a combined 21 per cent boost in fuel efficiency takes consumption to about 7.1 litres per 100 kilometres.(38mpg U.S.)

Selecting two or four-wheel drive can be done on the fly with the centrally positioned control knob, with a low-range option for more serious off-road or towing work.

Ground clearance is a generous 230mm allowing the Wildtrak to wade through up to 800mm-deep water, while hill-hold, hill descent and Adaptive Load Control gives the range-topping Ranger more ability on and off-road. Towing capacity is rated at 3500kg.

Ford Asia Pacific product development vice president Trevor Worthington said the new Wildtrak builds on the strengths of the forthcoming Ranger.

โ€œThe 2015 Wildtrak takes the Ford Ranger to the next level with an aggressive exterior, a premium, sporty, interior, the latest driver assist technologies and capabilities that ensure itโ€™s up for any adventure,โ€ he said.

โ€œBuilding on the bolder, smarter and more refined 2015 Ranger, the advanced Wildtrak is a perfect fit for customers who want to combine genuine 4x4 capability with stand-out styling and premium features.โ€
101 REPLIES 101

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok hear are another OZ living in USA at the moment. The Truks are not dovnrated in OZ except if you don't you have to have a licench for over 10000lbs. I had a 06 F250 with the 7.3 disel they were build in .brasil I believe. It had a payload of about 1200kg was a loved to tov a trailer about 4500kg and FW towing I think was 5400kg it's GVWR was youst under 10000lbs. You can now get converted F trucks Chewis Rams etc rated over the 10000lbs but u Ned a light truck licens, youst like for the Iveco Robert like to trov around. I don't know what his proplem is as non of the wehicles are Australian. God night folks.
Frank
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

No, you don't. You've made that abundantly clear already. I'm not going to start a separate thread with the sole purpose of making you look dumb. That wouldn't be very nice and there's really no point.

He has done this in many other threads as well. When his false statements are called out and he does not have an answer for it then he clams up and starts the whole "let's stay on topic" even though it was his false comments that got the thread off topic in the first place. I wouldn't post any factual information if I were you. Because he will say you are "distorting the truth".
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
DaveF-250SDV see my PM

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
IdaD wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
IdaD wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
So basically you're talking out of your backend. I could see a good departure able being an advantage. Payload has nothing to do with off road ability, though. You can get diesels in the US, and they aren't inherently better offroad (they have advantages and disadvantages). "Good on sand" doesn't mean anything, and "indestructible" is meaningles puffery

Totally wrong. Off Road ability here is not just climbing rocks it is going Off Road with a substantial payload, fording creeks, etc. a Jeep Wrangler is great climbing rocks but useless as an Off Road vehicle

A Jeep Wrangler isn't a pickup, which is what I thought we were discussion.

If you're going to spew meaningless generalities I'm done. If you can give me specific features I'd be genuinely interested in hearing about them. Locking differentials, low range ratio, suspension type, etc. I'm getting none of this type of thing from you. Most likely because you don't understand what any of it is or how it actually impacts off road capability, but I digress.

That would require more than a thread to answer that. This is my last post on this thread, it is now repeating itself

I suspected you had no knowledge on the subject and we're talking out of your back end, but thanks for confirming it for everybody.

I do but The thread is about the Ford Ranger versus Hilux. You start a thread about Off Road ability and I will join

No, you don't. You've made that abundantly clear already. I'm not going to start a separate thread with the sole purpose of making you look dumb. That wouldn't be very nice and there's really no point.

Way off topic, Try a new thread then we out dumb each other

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
IdaD wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
IdaD wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
So basically you're talking out of your backend. I could see a good departure able being an advantage. Payload has nothing to do with off road ability, though. You can get diesels in the US, and they aren't inherently better offroad (they have advantages and disadvantages). "Good on sand" doesn't mean anything, and "indestructible" is meaningles puffery

Totally wrong. Off Road ability here is not just climbing rocks it is going Off Road with a substantial payload, fording creeks, etc. a Jeep Wrangler is great climbing rocks but useless as an Off Road vehicle

If you're going to spew meaningless generalities I'm done. If you can give me specific features I'd be genuinely interested in hearing about them. Locking differentials, low range ratio, suspension type, etc. I'm getting none of this type of thing from you. Most likely because you don't understand what any of it is or how it actually impacts off road capability, but I digress.

That would require more than a thread to answer that. This is my last post on this thread, it is now repeating itself

I suspected you had no knowledge on the subject and we're talking out of your back end, but thanks for confirming it for everybody.

I do but The thread is about the Ford Ranger versus Hilux. You start a thread about Off Road ability and I will join

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Still no answer as to why your global trucks would have less of a payload and tow rating over here than over there or no proof of this 3,000 payload and 8,000 lb tow rating global dual cab pickup? You stated these two things so it isn't going against topic so just ignoring me means you can't back up your own words.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
DaveF-250SD wrote:
Robert Ryan, excuse me for going off topic here. You mentioned the F-250 SD trucks in Australia having a much lower tow rating than the same truck in the United States/Canada. Why exactly is that done there? It would seem to someone looking from the outside that the numbers may be being intentionally manipulated (i.e. corporate/Government regulations) to slow down sales of these trucks there?

I am quite happy to PM you on that, but extra posts are well and. truly wandering Off the subject of Ford Ranger dethroning the Toyota Hilux I have stopped commenting on the post

DaveF-250SD
Explorer
Explorer
Robert Ryan, excuse me for going off topic here. You mentioned the F-250 SD trucks in Australia having a much lower tow rating than the same truck in the United States/Canada. Why exactly is that done there? It would seem to someone looking from the outside that the numbers may be being intentionally manipulated (i.e. corporate/Government regulations) to slow down sales of these trucks there?
2004 F-250 XL Super Cab short bed 4x4 V-10/4R100
1977 Chevrolet Scottsdale C-20 Trailering Special 454/TH400

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
IdaD wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
IdaD wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
Jeremiah,
It is the New Hilux, see details on the FLTruck Site. It has not been released as yet, yes local sites, but this is a U.S. Site
Fast Lane Truck article on Hilux

No where in that article does it state that a dual cab pickup Hilux has a payload of 3,000 lbs and a tow rating of 8,000 lbs so please try again.

So I ask again, show me your proof of this rating that you threw in another posters face. If you are going to chastise another poster with that figure then you should back it up.

Oh and you still didn't answer why your global trucks would have less of a payload and tow rating over here than over there.

I would have thought you would learn by now if you would just quit with your threads and posts of downing other peoples trucks then you would not get so many people against you.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Jeremiah,
It is the New Hilux, see details on the FLTruck Site. It has not been released as yet, yes local sites, but this is a U.S. Site 2,700lb payload 7,700lb towing
Fast Lane Truck article on Hilux
The Toyota Hilux has built up a tough truck reputation over its 47 year history. The eighth generation model has recently been shown in Australia and Thailand with a focus on those local markets. It has a beefed up frame and two upgraded turbo-diesel engine options. It will be offered with a 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission and come in all three cab configurations as well as 2WD โ€œHi-Riderโ€ model.

2016 toyota hilux tacoma turbo diesel engine

The beginner diesel is a 2.4-liter unit that is capable of 295 lb-ft of torque, while the bigger 2.8-liter four-cylinder can apply 331.9 lb-ft of twist. Toyota claims a 10% fuel efficiency improvement over the previous generation engines. The bigger diesel could be a worthy motor for the American market, so that the Tacoma can do battle against the GM 2.8-liter Duramax. The gasoline engine lineup includes a 2.7-liter four and the 4.0-liter V6.

However, the really impressive numbers come courtesy of the maximum towing and payload ratings. The heaviest towing is limited to 3.5 tonnes. This metric tonne rating translates to 7,716 pounds of maximum towing. It comes from many legal caveats and proper towing package and equipment. Could the 2016 Toyota Tacoma manage the same?

2016-toyota-hilux-single-cab-work

The maximum payload is rated at a half-ton pickup busting 2,733 pounds (1,240 kg). This is a really impressive load carrying capability. Again, your Hilux will have to be properly equipped for maximum weight.

The next generation Hilux should go on sale in October of 2015 with many other interior and equipment improvements.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
You really love to distort the facts, who said dual cab Pickup? Yes the Sportstrac has a similar size ut it had no model that could carry 3,000lb or tow 8,000lbs. The Ranger is a single cab that can carry 3,000lb plus

Okay, what is the year, make , and model of this dual cab global pick up that has a payload of 3,000 lbs and a tow rating of 8,000 lbs. If there is one like you are saying then this information would be easy to give.

Well the new Toyota Hilux has that, like to take it up with Toyota? Minus 300lbsc On that note my last post on the subject

Robert, I am trying to help you out here.. but I can't find this truck.

Here is the link to the Austrailian Toyota site for the Hilux double cab 4x4.

Hilux double cab

This is the truck that would most likely sell in the US. There is limited to No market for a single cab truck with a tray (flat bed to us)

This truck.. the kind you can take your family in... has an outstanding 840 kg of payload or 1851.88 lbs. This is NOT 3000 lbs. You can't haul 3000 lbs or 1360 kg in a Hilux 4x4 double cab. Unless there is a special edition otherwise not on this site the 3000 lb capable double cab global truck doesn't exist.

YES... a regular cab 2wd.. that seats 2.5 people can get those numbers..but do normal families in AU have two Hilux trucks? One double cab for family and towing and a regular cab flat bed that can carry bigger payloads?

But comparing crew cab to crew cab in the mid size truck... there isn't but 300-400 lb disparity in payload comparing a North American truck to a AU truck. Meaning there is nothing significantly MORE special about the globals and the the North American Midsize trucks.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:

Well the new Toyota Hilux has that, like to take it up with Toyota? Minus 300lbsc On that note my last post on the subject

So where is the link stating that. If I can get an Australian brochure all the way over here in the US then surely you can post a link to a brochure or their website stating that their next truck will have a 3,000 lbs payload rating and an 8,000 lbs tow rating in a dual cab pickup configuration.

So where is it Robert? Where is the link proving what you say?

You don't' have proof because there isn't any.

Oh and you still didn't answer why your global trucks would have less of a payload and tow rating over here than over there. I know why, and if you would have listened to what i told you in the past then you would know.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD