cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Load advice

SlideInDad
Explorer
Explorer
So installed the lower stable loads today and went on perfectly on passenger side with all 3 plates per instructions. Driver side a bit of a different story. Spacing between overload and rest of springs is 102mm(4") front side and only 52mm(2") rear so I could only put two plates on the rear per instruction and installed full set forward side per instructions. Problem is now I still have a full 1/4"+ left of space on driver side front leafs when engaged before loading. Passenger side will be fully engaged sitting higher than driver side. I could actually fit a 4th plate on the driver fwd position but the extra plate not used from the driver rear is angled the wrong way though not sure that really matters other than for looks.

Torklift tech support not open on weekends.
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax CC - 2006 Lance 861
SuperSprings/Airlift/Bilstein 5100/TowBeast/Torklift tie downs
previous setup:
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW Duramax - 2003 Arctic Fox 1150 Dry Bath
16 REPLIES 16

SlideInDad
Explorer
Explorer
Crumm wrote:
languiduck wrote:
That may be the most confusing thing I have ever read in my life. You either have 2, 3, 4, or 6 plates according to what you've written.

He has three on the right front, three on the right rear, three on the left front and two on the left rear. His question is would it be ok to run four on the left front and two on the left rear. Simple answer would be try it and see. Might be fine with 3/2 also as the crown in the road leans truck to right.

The uneven gap may be from a uneven spring pad, wore spring, manufacturing glitch, axle wrap or many other things. They are just leaf springs not rocket engines so it doesn't really matter. If you are going to put stable load steel wedges between them they will be wore out before long anyway.

Thanks for understanding, couldn't figure out any other way to be more clear on this. I did put the 4th on drive side front and it fit fine. Needed a longer bolt that holds the sandwich of plates together but that was easy. I now have the same spacing on both 2 front stable loads and both 2 rear stable loads. Will load camper Wed and report how it went.
previous setup:

Crumm
Explorer
Explorer
languiduck wrote:
That may be the most confusing thing I have ever read in my life. You either have 2, 3, 4, or 6 plates according to what you've written.

He has three on the right front, three on the right rear, three on the left front and two on the left rear. His question is would it be ok to run four on the left front and two on the left rear. Simple answer would be try it and see. Might be fine with 3/2 also as the crown in the road leans truck to right.

The uneven gap may be from a uneven spring pad, wore spring, manufacturing glitch, axle wrap or many other things. They are just leaf springs not rocket engines so it doesn't really matter. If you are going to put stable load steel wedges between them they will be wore out before long anyway.
2015 F350 SuperDuty, SC, LB Torklift hitch and tie-downs, LT285/75R18 Toyo AT II 4080@80psi
96' F350 PSD with smoke added, Airbags, Trailmaster SSV shocks, 315/75R16 Toyo M/T, Centering guides.
06' Adventurer 90FWS

Bedlam
Your StableLoads came in a set of four. Use three wedge plates on each one. The fact that you have different spacing between left and right spring packs indicates your suspension is warped. Front to rear gap of the spring pack may be different due to the geometry of your spring arch (this is normal). Once you apply weight with the StableLoads engaged, it will mask some of your uneven suspension issues and should allow the camper to sit more level.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

SlideInDad
Explorer
Explorer
languiduck wrote:
SlideInDad wrote:
So does anyone see an issue with me using 4 plates on the front driver side with 2 plates on the rear driver side? Seems I'd get the exact same height at point of engagement this way where with the current (only 3 per instructions) on front of driver side there's an extra 1/4" gap between stable loads and spring pack that isn't there on the other 3 corners.

I see that creating an unequal load side to side. Put the same amount on each side. Just put as many plates on each side as you can while it still being easy to engage and disengage. If it isn't easy to operate you won't like them IMO. If you have airbags, fill them before loading, which will give you some more space to engage the stable loads. That's what I do. I have one side that is easy and one side that doesn't have quite as much room to engage.

Really though, if there is a 2 plate discrepancy side to side I'd wonder why. Enough so that I would fix that issue or at least determine why.

There's a misunderstanding of my problem. Currently there's a 1 plate discrepancy side to side due to the fact that I can only fit 2 plates on rear of driver side where I have 3 everywhere else. Additionally I have room to fit a 4th on front of driver side. If I did put a 4th on front of driver side I'd have 6 passenger side and 6 driver side and all would engage at the same height. As it is now driver side will sag 1/4" further before engaging overload.
previous setup:

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
SlideInDad wrote:
So does anyone see an issue with me using 4 plates on the front driver side with 2 plates on the rear driver side? Seems I'd get the exact same height at point of engagement this way where with the current (only 3 per instructions) on front of driver side there's an extra 1/4" gap between stable loads and spring pack that isn't there on the other 3 corners.

I see that creating an unequal load side to side. Put the same amount on each side. Just put as many plates on each side as you can while it still being easy to engage and disengage. If it isn't easy to operate you won't like them IMO. If you have airbags, fill them before loading, which will give you some more space to engage the stable loads. That's what I do. I have one side that is easy and one side that doesn't have quite as much room to engage.

Really though, if there is a 2 plate discrepancy side to side I'd wonder why. Enough so that I would fix that issue or at least determine why.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like the drivers side overload spring is not symmetrical . I would first try using three plates front and rear and see if it closes up the 1/4" gap .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

SlideInDad
Explorer
Explorer
previous setup:

Crumm
Explorer
Explorer
SlideInDad wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Well one side is sagging a little. Older truck right? I'd jack it up and get equal plates as needed.
When u load the camper on it it will be better that way IMO.

That doesn't really make sense. The stable load is designed to turn in before loading and turn out when unloaded. To do what you're saying I'd have to jack the truck up every time I loaded or unloaded?

I had to jack up my 2015 F350 to engage the stableloads so I took them off and use some energy suspension 9.9117 bump stops instead. I just jack it up under the hitch with a floor jack and drop them in the spring holes. No rattle and no wear with the polyurethane instead of steel on steel. Stableloads heading for eBay.
2015 F350 SuperDuty, SC, LB Torklift hitch and tie-downs, LT285/75R18 Toyo AT II 4080@80psi
96' F350 PSD with smoke added, Airbags, Trailmaster SSV shocks, 315/75R16 Toyo M/T, Centering guides.
06' Adventurer 90FWS

Bedlam
I used all three plates on my F250. The StableLoads on the rear end of the spring could be engaged/disengaged with the truck empty. The front ones could work the same way with two plates but I would jack up the receiver a little to squeeze all three plates up front.

If you have different gaps between right and left sides, you have deformed springs.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
SlideInDad wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Well one side is sagging a little. Older truck right? I'd jack it up and get equal plates as needed.

That doesn't really make sense. The stable load is designed to turn in before loading and turn out when unloaded. To do what you're saying I'd have to jack the truck up every time I loaded or unloaded?

Same deal on my 2012 F350, although there is no difference between left and right, which is something you should probably look into since you are hauling a heavy load. The gaps are just too small all around so I do have to jack it up by the hitch if I want all 3 plates. 2 of them don't do as much good, so I live with the hassle. It's not really that big of a deal and only takes a couple of extra minutes. They have held up well over the past couple of years even though the tolerance is tighter than ideal.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Are your airbags equal?

SlideInDad
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

previous setup:

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold