cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steep Boat Ramp

r47smiley
Explorer
Explorer
With a Lance 865 in the bed of a 2012 short wheel base f250 4x4 crew I am wondering how steep of a boat launch ramp is too steep to turn around on. Some of our lakes draw way down and due to the lines, backing down the side while waiting isn't an option. You need to turn around at the bottom! Of the ramp.

Any guess what the max cross slope a truck with a truck camper can reasonably handle and not get light weight on the up hill side. Of course the turn will be made nice and S L O W.

Thanks,

Rob
22 REPLIES 22

r47smiley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for confirming my thoughts and the quick responses. I'll avoid that situation

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never seen it done either and wouldn't try it especially with a cab over tc.

r47smiley
Explorer
Explorer
In California they draw the lakes way down. 200 feet sometimes. A big line forms on the right side and you turn around at the bottom. Backing that far is not an issue for me. Logistically it won't work with some of our lakes though.

When I'm out of state or when it's been a wet year in CA it isn't an issue but our local water districts makes too much selling the water to Southern California

The high CG seems a bit sketchy to me.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of such a thing. I certainly wouldn't have turned my TC on any of the ramps I've launched on. Not that they were any where near 200' long. But, I would have no problem backing up for 200' so that's what I would do, or learn to do, in your case.

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Although I can't help out with the "how steep" part, I can attest that many people drive down long boat ramps and turn around at the bottom. If the ramp is wide enough it makes it much quicker to drive down to the water, turn around and back the boat in. This makes your back-up distance around 20 feet, instead of 200.

Having watched numerous people who can't master trailer backing, this is a simple solution.

Just my 2 cents

Bill

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't do it either.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Uh I ain't getting this. Turn around on a boat ramp?? Why??
Back straight down, launch, drive straight out.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have backed down my share of scary boat ramps, but I have never heard of driving down a ramp and turning around at the bottom and I would not want to do it with a big high cg load like a truck camper. Most of the boat ramps around here aren't wide enough to turn around at the bottom. I might have seen someone in just a pickup do that one time at Stagecoach Reservoir near Steamboat Springs.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos