cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Still looking, need tall interior, but half ton towable

a_tack
Explorer
Explorer
I've been researching for a while now and it's looking like I'll be purchasing my first travel trailer in about 7 months or so. I'm running into issues however. I have 3 small kids so I will be buying a bunkhouse, preferably with a slide. I'm trying to watch my weight though. My tow vehicle is a 2013 F150 XLT ext cab 5.0 4x4 3.55 gears with tow package rated at 7,800 lbs. I purchased it new in March of 2013 and it will be paid off by the end of the summer. So I do not want to upgrade trucks as I don't want another truck payment.

Here's my dilemma. I've found plenty of ultra lite 26ft bunkhouses (5000-5200# dry) within my price range, but they all have a 78" interior height. I am 78" tall. I'm not going to spend $23,000+ on a trailer that I can't stand up straight in for hitting my head on lights and things. I have found several models with an 81" interior height, but they are all 1500# heavier (6300-6500# dry).

I won't be towing any more than 90ish miles, most trips less than 30 miles. The heavier trailers, loaded will be right at my trucks tow capacity. With a quality weight distribution/anti sway system like an Equalizer and a proper brake controller, should I worry about short distances at max tow capacity? I've also already upgraded to e load tires on my truck. The most I've pulled with it is about 4500# and it handled that like a dream. I have pulled travel trailers much heavier than what I'm looking at, but they weren't mine and they were with a 3/4 ton truck. Thanks in advance!

*EDIT*
If it helps the floor plan/models I've been looking at are the Keystone Hideout 27dbs (81" interior) and Jayco Jay Flight 27BHS (81" interior). One of the ultra lites was a Keystone Passport 2670BH (78" interior). This is the floor plan we like 26-27' bunkhouse with slide and outdoor kitchen.
24 REPLIES 24

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you need to get a different truck, you don't have to get a new one. You could sell yours and buy a 3/4 ton at a similar price.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Stick to your guns about not selling your truck. Too many people just look at payments and don't figure the $1000's they will loose over the long run. You have a great truck, it's almost paid for, and you will find the trailer that fits your needs. There are many suggestions so far and if you follow up on them and not trade your truck you will be way, way ahead of the crowd.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure of the headroom in the Coleman 274BH I have, but your truck will easily pull it. Has large bunks in the back, 72x48, and a short queen in the front with a little modification can make into a full queen.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The KZ Spree line has arched ceilings with 82" interior height and also the Jayco Whitehawk line with 81" interior height. The Jayco has the much better BAL frame.

Santa_Fe
Explorer
Explorer
My Springdale has an 82" interior ceiling height; Springdales are the only conventionally constructed travel trailer with a curved ceiling (it's one of the features that sold me on it). I tow mine with a RAM 1500.
TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Especially considering your family will be in a different vehicle, I think your truck will have payload to spare, and will take care of business just fine. Purchase your trailer, give it a try. If you have to upgrade the truck next year, do it. But I don't think you'll have to. I'll be towing a similar weight with my Ram 1500 soon enough. JMHO
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
Double post....removed.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I was in my trailer last weekend and thought about this question. I'm 6'3" and have "vaulted ceilings" in my trailer. Even when standing off center inside the trailer. I still had 6-8" of clearance above my head. I was able to place my spread-fingered hand above my head and it barely reached the ceiling. Take a look at the Keystone Bullet Premier line of trailers. Not sure what they offer as far as a bunkhouse and the right weight, but the ceilings are def tall enough.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
You might look at a smaller 5th wheel. Ignore the "1/2 ton tow-able" marketing and look at the ratings (in particular the pin weight when loaded).

You probably won't get full stand up headroom in the bedroom but in the main living area, you should get upwards of 7' headroom.

The other thing to consider is what is the trade in value vs what you can buy on a heavier duty truck. If you can upgrade the truck to a 3/4 ton a whole lot of options open up in terms of what you can tow.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Jeeperinmoab
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at the Crusier RV models? I have the MPG 2800qb with quad bunks. It has and 83" ceiling height and I tow it with a 1500 suburban. I have no problems pulling it. A bonus is it also has a full size queen and not a rv queen.
2007 Chevrolet Suburban
2017 Cruiser RV MPG2800QB

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I feel your dilemma, as I also needed the 81" height and my truck is only rated for 7600lbs. That basically ruled out the slide models as the slide just adds too much weight. I know you looked at the Jayco 27bhs, but that model is 6,330 empty. Nobody tows an empty trailer unless they are towing it home from the dealer so it will only be heavier ready to camp. .

I know you want a slide, but the Jayco 26bh (no slide) is only 4,700 pounds. With my kids I get one per bunk and the third sleeps on the jacknife sofa in a sleeping bag. It only takes a few seconds to put the sofa back upright and toss the sleeping bag in a rear bunk for the day.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to look at Riverside Manufacturing. They make a great TT. There are a couple of bunkhouse models (181B and & 265 BH). http://www.riversidervs.net/retro-travel-trailers/floorplans.html

a_tack
Explorer
Explorer
MikeJulieGDImagine wrote:
I'm not sure what your towing capacity is but Grand Design has 2 bunkhouse models in their Imagine travel trailer line, 2400BH and 2800BH, that have an 81 inch ceiling. We have the 2800BH and the ceiling height is one of things that attracted me to it. We tow it with a 2013 Ford Expedition EL.

7,800 lbs

MikeJulieGDImag
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what your towing capacity is but Grand Design has 2 bunkhouse models in their Imagine travel trailer line, 2400BH and 2800BH, that have an 81 inch ceiling. We have the 2800BH and the ceiling height is one of things that attracted me to it. We tow it with a 2013 Ford Expedition EL.