cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sub tow vehicle

Saint_Augustine
Explorer
Explorer
I want to tow a trailer of about 4200 lbs. please suggest the smallest Suv that would be suitable.
21 REPLIES 21

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
if 4200 is the actual weight, a Highlander with tow package is rated for 5,000 lbs. I towed my 3750 lb. tt with mine. ignore mfrs. given weight, ignore GVWR unless you plan on loading it to the max.
bumpy

Yes; but...finding a Highlander with the tow package is like finding gold. My understanding is that only about 15% of the Highlanders imported have the tow package. And without it, you may be looking at a 2000 lb or 3500 lb towing capacity.

The 4Runner is the SUV we went with for a 5000lb towing capacity. Love it.

-Speak

I recently found out that tacoma limiteds were also rare or gold if you prefer. went to tru car, local dealer swapped a dealer 75 miles away and got one in that I bought. wouldn't give up that easily.
bumpy

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something else to think about. A vehicle with a 5000lb tow capacity towing a 4200lb trailer will get overloaded real fast, IF you put a family and any gear in the SUV.

Remember. Every pound you put into the TV comes off the tow capacity. So as the weight in the TV goes up, the tow capacity comes down.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
if 4200 is the actual weight, a Highlander with tow package is rated for 5,000 lbs. I towed my 3750 lb. tt with mine. ignore mfrs. given weight, ignore GVWR unless you plan on loading it to the max.
bumpy

Yes; but...finding a Highlander with the tow package is like finding gold. My understanding is that only about 15% of the Highlanders imported have the tow package. And without it, you may be looking at a 2000 lb or 3500 lb towing capacity.

The 4Runner is the SUV we went with for a 5000lb towing capacity. Love it.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Saint Augustine wrote:
I want to tow a trailer of about 4200 lbs. please suggest the smallest Suv that would be suitable.

Is 4200lbs the fictional dry weight or its actual scaled weight?
What is the dry hitch weight?
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saint Augustine wrote:

Suburban, or Expedition. Anything else will be over loaded or near overloaded.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on a number of things, more info needed. Is that the fully loaded weight or just a brochure or guesstimate? What is the tongue weight? How much weight for passengers/stuff will be carried in the suv?
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley