cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sway Control on the Truck Question

ttsr4us
Explorer
Explorer
I am about to buy a new 1 ton truck. Either Ford or GMC. Probably GMC at this point.

So does the advertised on board installed (2014/2015) (on the truck)sway control work with appropriate weight distribution hitch (such as the Equalize) or will I need a Hensley?

My loaded ball hitch weight will be about 1200 lbs and Trailer weight about 10000 lbs. The ball to back length is about 34 foot.

(We intend to travel for more than three months a year and need the increased payload of the 350'0's)
Brian and Esta

previously 2 Trailers and 2 Motorhomes, back in the trailer game.

GMC Sierra 3500HD 2WD, SLT Crew Short Bed. Duramax. 2014

Airstream 2016 Flying Cloud 30 RB with 2 a/c + Window Awnings
4 REPLIES 4

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
kgarrett9999 wrote:
Sway control on my F150 is nothing but rapid braking to slow my ass down in a controlled manner. When it kicks it, it means that I'm already deep in doodoo. I've only had it kick in twice. Both times I had sway control on my hitch, so I was really doing stupid stuff. The first time I was towing my 19' TT way to fast when a truck passed the opposite direction. The 2nd time, I was going slightly faster than I should have for the conditions when I hit an extremely strong crosswind. Basically, it gets you safely slowed down to the speed that you should have been at to begin with.

x2. I had it kick in once when I accidently went into a corner too fast. It's pretty loud when it happens. My wife wanted to know what that sound was. I told her it was the built in trailer sway control saving our arse.

To the OP, as far as the Ford design goes it is not continuous sway control like a friction type WD would generate. It only kicks in when the trucks senses that the trailer is swaying too much.
Can't vouch for the GM version, but would venture they're all fairly similar.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
kgarrett9999 wrote:
Sway control on my F150 is nothing but rapid braking to slow my ass down in a controlled manner. When it kicks it, it means that I'm already deep in doodoo. I've only had it kick in twice. Both times I had sway control on my hitch, so I was really doing stupid stuff. The first time I was towing my 19' TT way to fast when a truck passed the opposite direction. The 2nd time, I was going slightly faster than I should have for the conditions when I hit an extremely strong crosswind. Basically, it gets you safely slowed down to the speed that you should have been at to begin with.

Never had it kick in but as I understand it, that is how it works^^^^

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you're getting a dully, you'll definitely not have any issues with either system.