cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The most reliable Travel Trailer

Eddiegnz1
Explorer
Explorer
Based on your experience, which brand of travel trailer is among the most trouble free. I'm not looking for luxury, I don't want fancy counter tops nor amazingly beautiful cabinets...what I'm searching for, more than anything, is for all things to function properly for many years.

I've heard that many travel trailers are frequently needing something repaired or parts replaced. So I'm prepared to deal with some level of this...

But is there a brand that has a reputation for being one of (or the most) trouble free.

I'm just looking for brand names of 17 to 30 foot travel trailers, based on one that you've owned.

Thank you!
Eddie
89 REPLIES 89

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
My apologies sir. We just got home from a week long trip to the panhandle to see family. The roominess of our junk wagon served us well!

No apologies necessary. Glad you had a good trip.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
Where did you get the information about the Jayco taking 7 hours?

I think you are quoting another person. I never said anything about a Jayco taking seven hours to build. That number came from another RV member.

My apologies sir. We just got home from a week long trip to the panhandle to see family. The roominess of our junk wagon served us well! :W
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
Eddiegnz1 wrote:
Based on your experience, which brand of travel trailer is among the most trouble free. I'm not looking for luxury, I don't want fancy counter tops nor amazingly beautiful cabinets...what I'm searching for, more than anything, is for all things to function properly for many years.

I've heard that many travel trailers are frequently needing something repaired or parts replaced. So I'm prepared to deal with some level of this...

But is there a brand that has a reputation for being one of (or the most) trouble free.

I'm just looking for brand names of 17 to 30 foot travel trailers, based on one that you've owned.

Thank you!
Eddie

This poor guy. All he wanted to know was what he wrote above.......In other words........your opinion and experience with brands.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

I think you are quoting another person. I never said anything about a Jayco taking seven hours to build. That number came from another RV member.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would figure that more outriggers would add strength to the floor to hold up the walls.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
Since this thread has sort of gone off the rails as they often do around here....let me toss in a thought.

I am watching the Jayco video on how they built their frame. Miss Cutesy marketing gal there is bragging about how Jayco places their outriggers four to six feet apart. I'm like....whoa....hit the pause button....grab the tape measure !

....so I just went out and layed under my Funfinder by Cruiser RV....with one of the much maligned Lippert frames. Outriggers are spaced some as close as 16", none any farther apart than 24".

I'll leave it to the reader here to draw their own conclusions.

She is pretty hot! Is your Funfinder an ultra light? If so maybe it needs it's outriggers closer together to keep the Lippert chassis together?

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
Using Internet hearsay, it only takes 5.02 minutes to slap an Airstream together. This is likely why they cost 5.02 times as much to buy. Where on earth do people come up with such exaggerated claims. The sad part is people actually be leave it.

The information about 400 hours of labor that goes into each Airstream comes from the factory, not some You Tube video. Believe what you want.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a rule, the better TTs command a higher price and yes they all have problems from time to time.

You can of course contact one of the custom RV builders that you see on the Travel Channel. They will build a TT to your specifications. The rest of us will have to settle for what we can afford.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
One that's well maintained.

As with most mechanical contraptions, this is the truest answer.
Hah, hah, hee, hee, hee, YouTube videos, hah, hah, hah, hee, hee.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
Using Internet hearsay, it only takes 5.02 minutes to slap an Airstream together. This is likely why they cost 5.02 times as much to buy. Where on earth do people come up with such exaggerated claims. The sad part is people actually be leave it.

The information about 400 hours of labor that goes into each Airstream comes from the factory, not some You Tube video. Believe what you want.

How do you know how many man-hours went into my Funfinder ?

The answer is...you don't know, unless you are one of the industrial engineers or managers at the factory. That "time" could well include the design time spent by folks sitting at a CAD station, it could include misc time by workers who shuttle the pieces and parts around the factory in support of production, as well as the actual time that workers spent building walls and cabinets, etc. They might even include the labor hours involved in building the frame, even if it was built off site by a vendor.

Yes, in my working years, I was involved in the management of a high production machine shop. I had at all times, an industrial engineer that reported to me, so I could get any and all numbers I might need for "a variety of purposes", we might say. There's all sorts of ways to deal with numbers in order to potentially get what you want, for instance, for next year's dept budget, or staffing needs, etc.

Don't read too much into what you see on youtube blurbs put out by manufacturers.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Since this thread has sort of gone off the rails as they often do around here....let me toss in a thought.

I am watching the Jayco video on how they built their frame. Miss Cutesy marketing gal there is bragging about how Jayco places their outriggers four to six feet apart. I'm like....whoa....hit the pause button....grab the tape measure !

....so I just went out and layed under my Funfinder by Cruiser RV....with one of the much maligned Lippert frames. Outriggers are spaced some as close as 16", none any farther apart than 24".

I'll leave it to the reader here to draw their own conclusions.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Jay flight construction. From our experience, very good bang for the buck.

https://youtu.be/HuPR1Et3B1E

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
ALL...I say again...ALL...RV manufactures follow the same practices and none of which I would say include the term "quality".

I strongly stand by my first response.

Again, had you read all the six pages you would have understood more about what this thread really is about.

As to all RV manufactures follow the same practices, that is simply not true. Since Airstream has been mentioned many times in this thread they spend nearly 400 hours building one trailer coach, while a few years ago there was a video of a Jayco trailer being built in less than an hour. The care, quality, attention to detail, even the materials in construction are often different. Sometimes vastly! But, we can agree to disagree, that is fine.

https://youtu.be/4e8lW6Xg9yY

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
One that's well maintained.