cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Right Battery

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. I am looking for a trailer battery. I've been doing some research and there are a bunch of options. We camp 6 or 7 times a year, never dry camping. I'm weighing price vs product. Will a deep cycle marine battery suffice? Two golf cart batteries? What is the difference between the two and is it worth it?

Thanks Bill
7 REPLIES 7

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
Keep your new battery charged when you are not using it even if you just disconnect it during storage.

Dick
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
If you are always plugged into 120v power at a campground you just need any of the 12v batteries at Walmart. You do not need a deep cycle.

In the scenario you described the battery is only there to apply the emergency brakes if the trailer comes disconnected, and maybe to keep the refrigerator running while you are towing. In this case any 12v automotive battery will work for this.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
walmart is fine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at rv batteries from autozone or walmart.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
NCMODELA wrote:
Hi all. I am looking for a trailer battery. I've been doing some research and there are a bunch of options. We camp 6 or 7 times a year, never dry camping. I'm weighing price vs product. Will a deep cycle marine battery suffice? Two golf cart batteries? What is the difference between the two and is it worth it?

Thanks Bill

Bill; If you are referring to a true Marine deep cycle it will be fine. There are only two manufacturers that make them, Rolls-Surrette and Concord-Lifeline. All others are a hybrid, deep cycle/starting, and not the best choice for a house battery.
Two 6 volt batteries will give more usable amp hours than a single 12 volt in the same size group, but probably not needed if not dry camping.

Harold
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Any 12 volt battery will be fine if you don't dry camp. Look at dollars per amp-hour of capacity.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RVNevada
Explorer
Explorer
If you never dry camp, just go with a replacement battery, You don't need any 6 volt battery, unless you want to start dry camping, There is more to it, if you want to change to 2 6 voltsโ€ฆ.
2015 Voltage V3895 Toy Hauler
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC LB DRW Air Bags
Toys and 2Labs