cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about upgrading from pop-up

TrueBlueKC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I'm brand new here and my wife and I are thinking about buying a TT or hybrid. We have had our pop-up for 7 years and love it but we like the idea of easier set up. We also would like a bathroom and a bigger sink and bigger fridge. We could go with less sleeping room and more moving around and storage room. We need to be able to sleep 3 as our son (14) will be with us most of the time for the first few years then will likely be tired of camping with us all the time.

We have a '99 Suburban 1500 4X4. It's tow rating is 6000# so I guess we're looking for a GVWR of 5000 or so.

We have 3 reputable dealers in the area as well as a Camping World. I would like to avoid Camping World based on reviews. One dealer has a lot of Jayco, one has a lot of Keystone and one has a lot of Forest River.

We like the Jayco Jay Feathers and the Keystone Passports but something like the Cherokee wolf pup is closer to my price range. I'm hoping to find something new or slightly used for around $15000 if possible. Is it a good idea to wait until late summer when the 2017's are on the lot and try to get a 2016? How much less will they sell them for If I wait a few months?

I appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone may have.
17 Ram 2500 6.4L
49 REPLIES 49

TrueBlueKC
Explorer
Explorer
adam9280 wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:
....the ram is the most cost effective solution (and also the crappiest of the 3)

The Ram's are quite nice now.

Are they? I see a lot of them. I still think they are the least pleasing to the eye but I'm more concerned about performance and reliability.
17 Ram 2500 6.4L

TrueBlueKC
Explorer
Explorer
adam9280 wrote:
SpeakEasy wrote:

Adam, we bought a Flagstaff 23LB (which is the same as a Rockwood 2306). It has the murphy bed, two bunks, and a dinette-bed. Most of the time only 2 of us will be camping, but we wanted space to be able to bring along some grandchildren. Maybe that floorplan will work for you?

2 adults and 3 kids would be tough in that trailer. We're looking for a smaller trailer with murphy bed, u-dinette and bunk room. Hard to find.

Yes it is. We saw this Jay Feather that fits what you are looking for but it's 4800 lbs. dry. It's a nice one but we don't need a bunk so we didn't look at it long.
17 Ram 2500 6.4L

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
....the ram is the most cost effective solution (and also the crappiest of the 3)

The Ram's are quite nice now.
2011 Acadia AWD
2006 Jayco Jay Feather 19H
Me, wife, daughter (7), daughter (5), son (1)

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:

Adam, we bought a Flagstaff 23LB (which is the same as a Rockwood 2306). It has the murphy bed, two bunks, and a dinette-bed. Most of the time only 2 of us will be camping, but we wanted space to be able to bring along some grandchildren. Maybe that floorplan will work for you?

2 adults and 3 kids would be tough in that trailer. We're looking for a smaller trailer with murphy bed, u-dinette and bunk room. Hard to find.
2011 Acadia AWD

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
tell me about it. I am getting close to replacing the wj and the new grand Cherokees are not jeeps IMO which means ill have to go truck. I keep looking, then fixing the wj because im not ready to spend the cash. for what its worth the ram is the most cost effective solution (and also the crappiest of the 3)
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

adam9280
Explorer
Explorer
TrueBlueKC wrote:
Wow pick-ups are much more costly than I remember! Even used. I found a 2015 Silverado 1500 5.3 for $32,000. They sure tow a lot more now though.

Used car dealer here. Yes, trucks are hotter than ever.
2011 Acadia AWD

TrueBlueKC
Explorer
Explorer
Wow pick-ups are much more costly than I remember! Even used. I found a 2015 Silverado 1500 5.3 for $32,000. They sure tow a lot more now though.
17 Ram 2500 6.4L

TrueBlueKC
Explorer
Explorer
This one we liked very much.

http://www.keystonerv.com/passport/#/floorplans

And this one
http://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2016-jay-flight/24rbs/

Both would need more TV.
17 Ram 2500 6.4L

TrueBlueKC
Explorer
Explorer
After looking at some trailers I have made no progress in my decision. This is due to the fact that I fell in love with one that would exceed my suburbans capacity. Now I'm thinking about trading in the Suburban. I'm a mess!

The good news is that I have no debts whatsoever so I have many options. The best option may be to just keep saving and wait.

It may be time to start researching full size pick-ups.
17 Ram 2500 6.4L

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
adam9280 wrote:
camp-n-family wrote:
We loved our hybrid but it's not any less setup than a pop up. Consider a hard side with slides if you want the room with the least setup.

We went from a tent to a hybrid trailer 3 years ago. You're correct on the amount of setup/teardown. We're already tired of the amount of time and effort it takes to put down the beds and put on the sheets and blankets.

Thinking about a murphy bed model with beds for 3 kids. Hasn't been an easy search.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
TrueBlueKC wrote:
I like this one except it appears to have one of those toilet in the shower things. That might be a deal breaker there.

TrueBlue, if you like and can live with the east/west bed like that one, take a look at the floorplan of the FF 189FDS. A lot folks want a north/south bed, and so automatically rule out any trailer with a sideways bed. Me, I'm now by myself, so I prefer the E/W bed.

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a small popup to a small bunkhouse hardside when we had kids. After owning the tt for a few years, the only thing I miss about the popup is the gas mileage. The hardside isn't any more work to hook up, tow, manoever, set up, or maintain than the popup, only that it's bigger. We have a bathroom! We can camp in the rain and just come home, and don't have to pop it up again to dry it out or empty the fridge. We camp in the rain all the time... it's Oregon.

TrueBlueKC
Explorer
Explorer
I like this one except it appears to have one of those toilet in the shower things. That might be a deal breaker there.

17 Ram 2500 6.4L

TrueBlueKC
Explorer
Explorer
Yes indeed gmw! Go Royals! I bought our pup at the Jayco dealer, Trailside RV, and have zero complaints about them. We'll be looking there and at the other one in Grain Valley and then the one up in liberty to start the looking phase as soon as we get a chance.
17 Ram 2500 6.4L