cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for tires so Maxxis or Goodyear Endurance?

dragr1
Explorer
Explorer
It’s time for tires on my travel trailer. It usually has 9000-9500 lbs on the axles. I’ve been running load range E Maxxis size 225/75/15 and have been very pleased. But I now see that Goodyear is making the Endurance tire in the U.S. I’ve never been a Goodyear fan but what’s the consensus Goodyear or Maxxis?
2014 Ram 3500 CC Longbed 4x4, G56, tow rig
2013 Jayco 33BHTS Travel Trailer
2014 Toyota Tacoma CC TRD 4x4, work rig
40 REPLIES 40

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Trouble with many of the reported 'blowouts' is that a puncture or road hazard is often undetected until the tire is shredded. My Maxxis was still holding air just fine when the cap was found to be coming apart. Same happened with DURO bias and Denman Express.

Have had one puncture in my Endurance and was lucky to observe the low tire at a fuel stop. Could have easily shredded that day and I would never know if it was defect or road hazard.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Axle and trailer mfg do not offer or make a suspension lift block set up for a multiaxle leaf spring suspension. Dexter doesn't recommend using them on their axles.
Lift blocks on a commercial trailer will not pass a required annual vehicle safety inspection.

Lift blocks add even more side stress to the U bolts/top plates/spring keepers/spring hangers while side scrubbing around corners or backing maneuvers which is one big reason their not recommended.

Single axle trailers have no side scrub events so many folks use them to gain frame height.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dragr1
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
dragr1 wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
I would consider, instead, an LT truck tire over any trailer tire.

I’ve only got about 2.5-2.75” of clearance on top of the tires before they rub on the bottom side of the slides while the slides are in for traveling . So I don’t have enough room to go from my current 225/75/15 to a 235/80/16 LT tire like I would like to do. However I was just looking at a 225/75/16 load range e LT tires and I would only lose 150 pounds of carrying capacity per tire over my 15” load range e st trailer tires. And only gain 1” of overall tire diameter so I think they will fit. I might do this and drop these old trailer only tires.
Dexter states 3" minimum!
You are already under that, assuming your measurements are correct.

It is not hard to get more clearance. An axle flip, or lift blocks work very well and are worth the effort IMO.
I ditched ST tires in 2005, and have been trouble free ever since. This new crop of STs MAY prove themselves over time.... But I will not be part of the experiment. I have already given those same companies too much of my money for tires that they then said were great.... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Guess I’m going to research how to do the lift blocks or axle flip bc I would much rather run a 235/80/16 LT tire than anything else. If you have links please share, thanks!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
phillyg wrote:
Search on "Maxxis" and see numerous blowout reports. So far I've only seen one negative on Endurance.

Wait......how long have they been on the market? And its been a much shorter time that certain RV manufacturers have been equipping them as OEM. Even being used OEM thats not all that many units with the largest percentage being pulled to a campground 50 miles away a few weekends a season.

Most tire failures are not the tires fault, usually operator error which no one will ever admit on an RV board, or overloaded for whatever reason.
B.S..
Too many of us have had success swapping to LTs, and the problems stop cold.

????? Where in the posts you quoted were LT's even mentioned? B.S. Indeed.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
phillyg wrote:
Search on "Maxxis" and see numerous blowout reports. So far I've only seen one negative on Endurance.

Wait......how long have they been on the market? And its been a much shorter time that certain RV manufacturers have been equipping them as OEM. Even being used OEM thats not all that many units with the largest percentage being pulled to a campground 50 miles away a few weekends a season.

Most tire failures are not the tires fault, usually operator error which no one will ever admit on an RV board, or overloaded for whatever reason.
B.S..
Too many of us have had success swapping to LTs, and the problems stop cold.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
dragr1 wrote:
azdryheat wrote:

I’ve only got about 2.5-2.75” of clearance on top of the tires before they rub on the bottom side of the slides while the slides are in for traveling . So I don’t have enough room to go from my current 225/75/15 to a 235/80/16 LT tire like I would like to do. However I was just looking at a 225/75/16 load range e LT tires and I would only lose 150 pounds of carrying capacity per tire over my 15” load range e st trailer tires. And only gain 1” of overall tire diameter so I think they will fit. I might do this and drop these old trailer only tires.
Dexter states 3" minimum!
You are already under that, assuming your measurements are correct.

It is not hard to get more clearance. An axle flip, or lift blocks work very well and are worth the effort IMO.
I ditched ST tires in 2005, and have been trouble free ever since. This new crop of STs MAY prove themselves over time.... But I will not be part of the experiment. I have already given those same companies too much of my money for tires that they then said were great.... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
phillyg wrote:

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

busterja21
Explorer
Explorer
I went with Carlisle radial HD 225/75/15/e tires. The radial HD's, like the GY endurance have the higher speed rating and have much better reviews than previous models.

i pulled 2000 plus miles at 75mph loaded close to 10k with no problems. Since then I had a few more trips with less weight and a few hundred miles each with no problems.

ordered online for 89/tire shipped.

i was skeptical of carlisle, but so far so good.
2019 CC F350
2017 Impact 312 Toyhauler
2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 (mine)
2013 Yamaha grizzly 550 (hers)
1998 Kawi Prairie 400 (boys)

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately, one of our Maxxis load Ds shredded early in life. We have mostly had Kumhos but they were not available when we up-sized our rims.

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ken56 wrote:
Both are good, both have had blowouts.

I've never seen reports on this forum of an Endurance blowing out.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dragr1
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
For whatever it is worth, we are very happy with our Endurances in Load Range D -- 15,000 miles so far, no problem, very little wear. I don't know anything about Maxxis so can't comment about them.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
I ran OE Trailer King "china bombs" for 4 years. Went on a 3000 mile Canadian Maritimes trip this fall and switched to Goodyear Endurance before I left for piece of mind.. Just returned home and couldn't be happier with the performance and ride difference! My bullet Ultralite only weighs 6000 but these new GY Endurance are load range "D" instead of the old ones being "C" and have a much stiffer side wall and ride VERY smooth with much less sway!
They may be unproven over the long haul with only 2 years since they were introduced but are US made and a reliable long term brand! after 3000 miles, I am a believer!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg wrote:

With over 30 members reporting issues with Maxxis ST tires I would look for a different tire like the Provider ST class tire that has very few if any issues since the '10 era. These tires were one of the first new gen higher speed rated tires .....and first came on trailers used in commercial service.

The Endurance ST is popular and doesn't have a long term service record yet after less than 2 years.

Having made a living on the road pulling trailers my 1st choice is always a LT class tire. Provider ST would be my 2nd choice.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dragr1
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:

Would be nice but not enough load capacity in a 15 and don’t have enough clearance for a 16” tire with enough capacity.