cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires - Load Range D vs E

mfoster711
Explorer II
Explorer II
My trailer uses 225/75R15 load range D tires. Checked my local tire stores and all of them only had load range E tires in stock. One of the guys tried to push me into getting load range E because "they are a much higher load rating and can handle a lot more weight" and he questioned why I didn't just want the load range E tires. I told him I did not want load range E for several reasons:
  • Load range E tires have to be inflated to 80 PSI and might cause a rougher ride
  • my wheels are not rated for load range E
  • I would also need to replace my spare to ensure I don't mix load ranges

He was polite after that and ordered some load range D tires which will be in this week.

Truth being told, my wheels might be rated to handle load range E. I just didn't want the load range E tires because I thought it would be overkill for my trailer and may cause a rougher ride. My max trailer weight is 7500 lbs so I could actually use load range C and be just fine.

I am just curious how many of you would have just gone ahead and took the load range E tires they had in stock. Do you think it would make a difference in the ride?
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch
2014 Outback Terrain 250TRS

Previously:
2007 Ford F250 Diesel
2009 Jayco Eagle 30.5 BHS Super Lite 5th Wheel
34 REPLIES 34

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Now load it up with Mr. Ed, and tow at full pressure for both LRC and LRD. Then ask him how he liked the ride with each. 🙂

As you go up, in both LR and pressure, the ride will get rougher. That's not necessarily a problem, but I can definitely tell that stuff in the trailer bounces around more with the stiffer tires.

My real world experience with my funfinder, when I went from factory LR C, ST tires to LR D commercial LT tires was that nothing changed as far as stuff getting tossed about inside.

Regarding whether the horse feels anything different riding on LR E, I have no way of quantifying that with numbers. All I can offer is my real world experience, and that is, after many years of hauling our show horses all around the midwest and beyond, I have never, ever had a horse end up being injured or lame either to or from a show, as a result of hauling.
Grand daughter and I will haul one of the horses 400 miles next tuesday. When we arrive mid day, we'll unload and let him settle in a stall for four or five hours, then he will go to the warmup arena for practice. Same as always. Hauled on LR E tires.

It's very common in the horse trailer world on larger gooseneck trailers to use LR G tires, like the GoodYear G614, at 110psi. So make of that whatever the reader would care to.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have found that many road hazards will puncher most any tire.

It is true that a stronger tire will resist rock punctures and other road trash better than a weaker tire for sure. But I have yet to see the tire that will hold up to the rim crushing object that took out my new D rated TT tire or the metal shard that slashed through the side wall of my TV tire.

Certainly, better tire perform better, that is why they cost more. But they still can go flat.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Now load it up with Mr. Ed, and tow at full pressure for both LRC and LRD. Then ask him how he liked the ride with each. 🙂

As you go up, in both LR and pressure, the ride will get rougher. That's not necessarily a problem, but I can definitely tell that stuff in the trailer bounces around more with the stiffer tires.

That has not been my experience at all. I have put LREs on my last two TTs... The first of which came with LRCs. Stuff rides amazingly well. On several occasions we have forgottan about something on a counter... Once an open can of soda! And it stayed put!
This is even more remarkable as we always camp off the beaten path (hence the LREs) and many miles of rough unpaved roads.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Also, road hazards do not care what the tire rating is.
SO so wrong.
one of the most well known off road tips is to upgrade load range tires to avoid punctures.
We used to always go to 6 ply tires, minimum. Less than that and tire problems were a certainty.

Nowadays a 6 ply tire doesn't necessairily mean it has 6 plys, but that it has the strength of 6 plys.
This rule of thumb applies to quads and UTVs as well.

This is no secret, and is VERY well known.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Here's one data point from out here in the real world. Over the last two days I have towed one of my horse trailers a little over 500 miles. Half the miles empty, half with Mister horse in it. Same roads.

This trailer has a 7500 GVWR. Weighs just under 4000 pounds empty ( on the CAT scale ), so we'll call it 5000 or so with the quarter horse in it. Load range E tires were 78 psi cold yesterday morning.

The trailer pulls extremely well, empty or with the horse in it.

Point being, there are some folks who would say if you run too high of a load rated tire, it may not "tow correctly" ( bounce or whatever they may want to toss into the argument ). I can tell you at least with this trailer, this truck, blue ox swaypro hitch, my driving on various roads from standing still to 65 mph..... it tows correctly.

I like my load range E tires. They are black, and go round and round. That's cool.
Over and out.

cockroach
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I don't see mentioned here is, Regardless of what the weight figures from the manufacturer are, Once your wife loads the trailer, it weighs 24 ton. I just thought I would mention it. LOL
Good Health is merely the slowest way you can die !!!🙂

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I switched from C to E's on one trailer and D to E's on another.

I've had good luck with E's, no flats.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I just switched from C to D. I haven't towed anywhere yet, but can already tell that the trailer has less "squash" to it when walking around inside. Also, the C's always looked slightly flat and the D's don't. Probably doesn't matter, but I like it. 🙂
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I only use LOAD RANGE E on my rigs.Presently there are 10 sitting around waiting to hit the road.I only inflate the TT to 75 versus 80.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our camper's gross weight is 6000#. The c tires are maxed at 7140#. Actual loaded weight is under 5000#. I'll stick with the c's.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
To me it was in the math. My axles are rated 7000 lbs. for the pair, the C rated tires were rated for a total of 7140 lbs. They were seven years old and I had put 15,000 miles on them since I bought the TT.

I opted for D rated tires with a combined weight rating of over 8100 lbs. more than 1000 lbs. over the axle rating.

Any more, would to me have been a waste of money. Also, road hazards do not care what the tire rating is.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
Replaced all 4 tires on my fifth wheel after 2 blowouts, same trip. Upgraded to load range D, per tire shop recommendation. 80 p.s.i. I am very pleased with the change.

80 psi would be too much in a load range D tire. LR D typically ( always ? ) maxes at 65 psi. 80 psi would be LR E

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
E tires have a another belt ?? Never heard that one.
Actually 2, in effect. LRD is an 8 ply rating, LRE is a 10 ply rating. How they achieve that may vary by manufacturer, but the effect is the same. When he said "extra belt," take it to mean "stronger tire."

Now, do you want to get pedantic about belt vs. ply?