cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires too big for wheelwell

ice2fire
Explorer
Explorer
A friend (really !) has a Rockwood MiniLite 2109. Forest River. It has a torsion type suspension. He has four tires installed that are ST205/75R14, load range C. Psi = 50 lbs. These are the recommended tire sizes as specified on the manufacturer's label on the outside wall of the trailer. His trailer has a GVWR of 4777lbs. The rims are 5.5".

Trouble is, there is only about 0.25" between the top of the tire and the underneath of the wheel well. On driving to Alaska, one tire gradually rubbed away the wheel well so that dirt and stones got inside the trailer.

I looked at the connection between the torsion unit and the I beam, and it doesn't look very amenable to adjustment.

It looks like the only solution would be to go to 13" rims ?

Comments or suggestions gratefull received. Thanks.
2010 30' Heartland North Country, on a site in Tucson, Arizona.
13 REPLIES 13

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is how my Dexter torsion suspension is setup. I have probably 6" + of space between the top of the tire and the wheel well.

I also have the 13" tires. I think they are 175/80/13 but are load range D. More than enough for my #5000 GVWR trailer. The original tires were the same size, but only load range B..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

WDP
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to the Forest River Forum, seems FR and Dexter were (are) having a similar problem and yours may be handled by the manufacturers.
Forest River Forums

WDP

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you bolt in a spacer of 2" x 2"-1/8" tube over the axle mounts and are literate with a measuring device, you can bolt it all up into the same holes. For an application like this, I'd probably break out the welder.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ice2fire
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Depending on the frame make Dexter makes spacers that bolt on. You can also change the angle on the torsion axles. Looks like they have the wrong degree setting on the axles. Not sure of what style Dexter or if any of this will work, but worth a try.
http://l.b5z.net/i/u/6149609/f/Trailer_Axle_Resources/Torflex_Information.pdf
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/371159764433?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Thanks to you and 3oaks. Having spring leafs on my own treailers, I wasn't aware of this potential problem with torsion suspension. I've passed on all the good info from this forum to my PhD friends ! Thanks everyone.

ice2fire
Explorer
Explorer
Re:
"To the original poster. Your "friend" should have not taken the trailer anywhere with only a 1/4" clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well, let alone traveling to Alaska."

I agree. Husband and wife both have PhD's in the arts. Lovely couple, but just not very experienced trailer wise.

If the torsion is set at the wrong angle, shame on the installer.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Depending on the frame make Dexter makes spacers that bolt on. You can also change the angle on the torsion axles. Looks like they have the wrong degree setting on the axles. Not sure of what style Dexter or if any of this will work, but worth a try.
You got there before I did and provided the specific information. My first thoughts were that the torsion suspension was set to the wrong degree for this particular trailer.

To the original poster. Your "friend" should have not taken the trailer anywhere with only a 1/4" clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well, let alone traveling to Alaska.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

ice2fire
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Spacers per Dexter/etc is a good point.
Rubber in a torsion axle can weaken letting the trailer down closing the gap on top of the tire.

Also ST205/75-14 C has 1760 lbs capacity X four = 7040 lbs capacity. The 4777 GVWR trailer need 1120 lb per tire as a minimum. Sounds like the trailer may have the wrong size wheels/tires.
A ST175/80-13" C tire would give the 4777 GVWR trailer a 20 percent reserve capacity.
Sometimes more isn't better.
Agree, however:

ST175/80/13 vs ST 205/75R/14: How much higher is a 80 compared to a 75 ? i.e. going from 14" to 13", you gain 1". But how much do you loose by going to a 80 as opposed to a 75 ?

I think an ideal would be 185/75R/14. I will have to see if they are made.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
ice2fire wrote:
westend wrote:
Spacers under the torsion axle mounts would be an easy fix, IMO.

I looked at this. NOT so easy IMHO. Not as secure as now. Need new holes drilling right alongside existing holes, thus weakening fixture.
The ones I have seen done basically built a frame under the frame. Very strong, and the existing holes are not an issue.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Weigh the trailer and compare to the GVWR.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ice2fire
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

I looked at this. NOT so easy IMHO. Not as secure as now. Need new holes drilling right alongside existing holes, thus weakening fixture.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Spacers per Dexter/etc is a good point.
Rubber in a torsion axle can weaken letting the trailer down closing the gap on top of the tire.

Also ST205/75-14 C has 1760 lbs capacity X four = 7040 lbs capacity. The 4777 GVWR trailer need 1120 lb per tire as a minimum. Sounds like the trailer may have the wrong size wheels/tires.
A ST175/80-13" C tire would give the 4777 GVWR trailer a 20 percent reserve capacity.
Sometimes more isn't better.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton