cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

torklift

bwanted
Explorer
Explorer
I want thank torklift for the contest where I won a set of true frame mount talon tie downs for my 2014 ford 450. Thanks agan Torklift
22 REPLIES 22

Bedlam
It's not this one:

I use this one:

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I do have a flip down foot because I could not get enough extension on the jack. A side effect of the flip-foot is there is less cranking required.

I hope it isn't one of those red "flip jacks".
I had one, and after it folded up on me while the trailer was unhooked from the truck, I removed it and ebay'ed it.
THose things scare me now.
Bob

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago, Torklift sent me a GlowGuide and shoe cleaner for my GlowSteps. Thanks again TL.

They told me I was selected as a tester for the new Talon Tie Downs, but my truck was a 2013 RAM 3500 and they didn't have them built yet. Hey Torklift, I am still waiting and am very willing to test them.

The last trip to the Texas TC Rally would have been a good test. I do believe my truck and TC went airborne a couple times driving through some of the Dallas area road construction.

Bedlam
I was spoiled with an electric jack on my bumper pull toy hauler and thought I would hate the crank. It does take longer than hitting a button, but I hadn't even thought about it in over three years - I guess I'll keep the hand crank until it or me wears out. I do have a flip down foot because I could not get enough extension on the jack. A side effect of the flip-foot is there is less cranking required.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Time to ditch that manual hand crank jack on your cargo trailer and upgrade to a power tongue jack.
Bob

Bedlam
A trickle here and a trickle there

I won a Golden Ticket in Torklift's promotion last year. My interest was really in the PowerArmor Solar, but I wanted the largest box available to handle batteries I had sitting at home waiting for installation.

This PowerArmor box was planned for installation on my enclosed trailer.

Torklift redesigned this box and held off sending me the older model so I could try out the new one.

This was the first test fit of my batteries to the new PowerArmor. I was trying to decide whether fit six on end (since they are sealed) or stay with five leaving the posts up.

Since these batteries have screw in terminals, I decided to use something a little different for this setup instead of using crimped rings.

The disadvantage of using this setup was accessibility to the terminals if the batteries were on end, so I mocked up the wiring with the terminals up and fully charged the batteries on an external charger outside of the PowerArmor.

Now that electrical was addressed, it was time to fit and mount the PowerArmor to my enclosed trailer. In the photo bellow you can see two of the three beams that form the tongue on my trailer.

The self drilling screws worked well attaching the PowerArmor to my closed channel tongue, but I wanted some abrasion protection from the heads and added foam strips over these areas.

Straps are included that would normally be routed through the bottom slats to secure each battery. Due the non-standard size of my batteries, I skipped this step and laid the acid absorbing battery pad that was included with the PowerArmor over the bottom without straps.

Although hard to see, I strapped all five batteries together around their girth. There is some chance of the batteries bouncing upward, but it is doubtful with all of them strapped together.

Time to wire up the batteries one more time and add the solar panel connection. My first test will be to leave the batteries fully charged but unused for two weeks. If the single solar panel can maintain the charge, I will patch it into the enclosed trailer's umbilical cord. If I see a loss, the PowerArmor has provisions for a second solar panel that can be added to double maintenance charge.

The finished installation is well proportioned to my size of trailer. Beware that adding this many batteries so far forward on your trailer will increase your tongue weight. If you are close to your hitch or rear axle capacity, take this additional weight in to account. This larger PowerArmor could easily be attached to your front receiver or cargo basket for those of you with excess capacity on the front axle.

How will this all work? Once patched into the trailer wiring, it will provide constant a 12VDC power source inside the trailer instead of relying on the power coming through the trailer connection. That additional power can also be back fed through the trailer connection to the the truck camper. If the truck is running, the camper is on hookups or the generator is running, these batteries will also slowly get recharged as long as the trailer is plugged in. This project was all about the trickle.

What about the rest of batteries? Those are for two other projects which I am still collecting parts to complete. One project will get Rammed while the other will be sunned.

For those of you going to the truck camper rallies in Prosser or Colorado Springs, I will have my trailer with me so you can check out the PowerArmor Solar in person.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:
Good laws, I missed out. I didn't even know there was a contest.

When the contest was going on, there was a big 'ole banner ad embedded between message posts in the TC forum here on RV.net.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Well. Congratulations to all of you! ๐Ÿ™‚ As much as I love their products (I have the frame mounted tiedowns) the 7200A stable loads that their website stated would fit my truck.... didn't even come close. When I called them they at least admitted that they "had not actually tested them" on my year/model truck. Oh well. On to the next thing!

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Bedlam
The boxes have a locking slide lid and solar panel with regulator built in. Torklift visited a truck camper rally we attended at the Coulee Dam earlier this year. I saw one of the pre-production models and immediately made a bee line for it, so it was nice surprise to win one of these.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Bedlam wrote:
Torklift selected me as a tester for their PowerArmor Solar.

Those are nice. Maybe I need one for my cargo trailer, which already has one battery in it, but more power would be nice. I do have an inverter in the trailer too.

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
Good laws, I missed out. I didn't even know there was a contest.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

Bedlam
Torklift selected me as a tester for their PowerArmor Solar. This will ride on the tongue of my enclosed trailer and supplement my TC power through an Anderson connection at the receiver. With additional battery capacity, I will be able to run a larger invertor and reduce my generator use for shorter high demand AC loads. When the trailer sits, I will not have to pull batteries since it will have an integrated solar trickler.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I am looking at the Talons - very nice.

bigolhorns
Explorer
Explorer
WOW,Me too! Thanks Torklift. I was a Golden Ticket winner and received a free Camper Packer.They even shipped them for FREE.
My S&S camper is sitting on them now. I really needed them.
2013 F250 Super Duty 4X4 Air Lift Airbags
1999 S&S Bitterroot 7.5
Torklift Frame Mounted Tiedowns
Torklift Fastguns