cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing GMC Yukon 4 wheel drive issue

robanddi
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2015 GMC Yukon Denali 4-W drive. We tow behind RV.

Getting ready for a trip today. Hooked up GMC and shifted transfer case into Neutral (carefully following the amended instructions). The transfer case goes into neutral (test both reverse and drive) BUT steering wheel locks.

Please advise
Robert & Diann
2001 34' Foretravel U270
2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Burton TX

3 REPLIES 3

robanddi
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog, you are my new hero!

Our OM for flat towing is wrong; there is a supplemental set of instructions plus a dealer notification related to this. I, Diann, have put the transfer case in and out of neutral hundreds of times. Last time was 3 months ago.

Your post related to 'key on' triggered something in my mind. Today I tested the steering wheel BEFORE we turned off add-on battery disconnect switch. That was my mistake. Just went down and redid the whole sequence (it really is a riot what you have to do, wait 30 sec, redo, wait 10 sec, etc.) AND IT WORKED. Car is in neutral with an unlocked steering wheel.

Thanks again, you saved our trip to Michigan which was to begin tomorrow at dawn!

Diann

P.S. I love this forum and the people on it. They respond quickly and always try to help. This is particularly important for us elderly who can't remember what we had for breakfast! LOL
Robert & Diann
2001 34' Foretravel U270
2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL
Burton TX

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Google it. I just saw a bunch of instructions on how to.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I'm guessing push button start? Are there instructions in the OM for flat towing?
Afaik, you have to leave the proverbial "key on" to keep the steering from locking.
New cars.....pffft. Our new car can't be shifted into neutral without the engine running either. Kinda frustrating if one ever had to push it because it wouldn't start.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold